Jobs

Tryfield

Bump...

I'm finding myself stuck in a job I really don't enjoy and have recently been under threat of redundancy, so I have been searching for other jobs.

Trying to get out of oil and gas has been really difficult, it's like employers label you. Got rejected recently for a job I thought was a good fit for both myself and them. Meh.

It's just really hard to find one at the right pay, right hours that I would enjoy a bit more. I am in line for what sounds like a great job, but the pays a bit shit and the hours are obscure. Am I asking too much or does something have to give?

17 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

Bump...

I'm finding myself stuck in a job I really don't enjoy and have recently been under threat of redundancy, so I have been searching for other jobs.

Trying to get out of oil and gas has been really difficult, it's like employers label you. Got rejected recently for a job I thought was a good fit for both myself and them. Meh.

It's just really hard to find one at the right pay, right hours that I would enjoy a bit more. I am in line for what sounds like a great job, but the pays a bit shit and the hours are obscure. Am I asking too much or does something have to give?

I was made redundant recently and have taken the opportunity to re-train. Depending on your financial situation, it might be worth considering. I'll be absolutely skint for the next four years, but I'm enjoying what I'm doing enough that it's worth it.

It might also be worth hanging about at your current job just to get paid off if you've been there for a long time.

13 minutes ago, BFTD said:

I was made redundant recently and have taken the opportunity to re-train. Depending on your financial situation, it might be worth considering. I'll be absolutely skint for the next four years, but I'm enjoying what I'm doing enough that it's worth it.

It might also be worth hanging about at your current job just to get paid off if you've been there for a long time.

I'm currently doing an OU course, because I can't afford to take 4 years out to re-train, once I have that it should be easier to move into another field. Nah, not been there long enough to make it worth my while hanging on for redundancy.

• 2 months later...

Bump.

Still looking....

This is taking ages, with very few bites.

I even had a guy interview me and tell me that he was only interviewing me because he was curious about why I would be even considering that position. I didn't get it.

The labels you get when you work in Oil & Gas. 

So I now have 2 CV's, one 'dumbed down' and one proper. Might have more of a chance.

8 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

The "dumbed down" thing isn't necessarily the best approach TBH.

It depends on how much overlap there is between your current experience and the experience needed for the new jobs you are applying for.

I would be tailoring my CV to focus solely on that overlap and the reasons why I wanted to move to that type of new role.

You mentioned earlier that you're not taking on a full degree. Whether that's something you need to reconsider will depend on what the expectations are of the potential employers in your new field. If you have little overlapping experience and a lack of qualifications then that obviously makes things a bit trickier.

As you're finding out, looking for a job can become a full time job itself. Especially at a time like this.

Yeah, I'm taking a full degree in something completely different to what I'm doing just now, that's more long term though.

I had to 'bend' the last 3/4 years as I'm wanting out of the office side back to a more hands on role, working on the same equipment, just in a different sector.

Many jobs are not promoted and not popular but are well-paid. For example, many people want to work with SMM, but few of them want to work with SEO, which is another digital marketing strategy. For example, I had a part-time job at an SEO marketing company. I was controlling the texts written by their copywriters. I am an English teacher, and many of their workers were from abroad, so English wasn't their native language. All I had to do was verify their tests and put a mark. I was well-paid for such a job with few hours of work.

Edited by lambcherylnn

On 11/02/2022 at 18:42, johnnydun said:

Yeah, I'm taking a full degree in something completely different to what I'm doing just now, that's more long term though.

I had to 'bend' the last 3/4 years as I'm wanting out of the office side back to a more hands on role, working on the same equipment, just in a different sector.

Being typecast into a specific field or role is often tricky and can make trying to get out and into a different field a bit of a nightmare. I think often in these cases the objective is to try and get to an interview in order to get across to the interviewer that you are looking for a new/different challenge outside of your comfort zone. I often advise people to write a mission statement of sorts at the top of their CV outlining a bit of their professional background and what exactly they are looking for - 3 sentences or so - and that immediately focuses the CV reader on that before going into your actual experience and education. So I wouldn't necessarily bend your CV too much, but accentuate the skills that would allow you to diversify and set out from the get-go what you are looking to achieve going forward.

I work in recruitment (granted not in the UK) but if you're looking for someone to bounce ideas off or go through a CV feel free to message me and I'd be happy to help.

On 11/02/2022 at 17:42, johnnydun said:

Oil wrestling johnny?

9 hours ago, Menzel said:

Being typecast into a specific field or role is often tricky and can make trying to get out and into a different field a bit of a nightmare. I think often in these cases the objective is to try and get to an interview in order to get across to the interviewer that you are looking for a new/different challenge outside of your comfort zone. I often advise people to write a mission statement of sorts at the top of their CV outlining a bit of their professional background and what exactly they are looking for - 3 sentences or so - and that immediately focuses the CV reader on that before going into your actual experience and education. So I wouldn't necessarily bend your CV too much, but accentuate the skills that would allow you to diversify and set out from the get-go what you are looking to achieve going forward.

I work in recruitment (granted not in the UK) but if you're looking for someone to bounce ideas off or go through a CV feel free to message me and I'd be happy to help.

This is an excellent idea Menzel, thank you.

Like a short cover letter on the cv itself. Makes perfect sense. 

I will PM you later on today.