Who Has Got Snow Tyers

I never said a legal requirement making them mandatory, I said they had legislation. It was only the zebra that said that. Do a quick google search and you'll find lots of sites that list this.

If you look back, I did explain that there is a film of water on the film of ice. One of the reason that winter tyres work better in these conditions is because they have extra tread to displace more water. So yes, that makes them safer than summer tyres.

So what's the harm in doing both?

Anyway, the important part for me is that they make a massive difference when I off-road in my Insignia. That and the fact I don't pay for them, my work does.

Can't be arsed with the rest of your post, the mood for trolling about expensive rubber has gone but just to keep up the pedantry you said "nothing slips on snow" wheras the natural state of snow has a layer of water in liquid form at a molecular level, as opposed to the solid state most people believe, even at temperatures well below freezing. Therefore snow is slippy down to temperatures of around -25c or lower regardless of friction or pressure, as proved by Faraday. Read the section titled "melting below zero" it backs up my pedantry and proves you wrong. The liquid form of water is always there (down to temperatures below -25c and lower) and not as you claim created by the compacting of snow into ice and surface melting caused by pressure and friction.

http://lptms.u-psud.fr/membres/trizac/Ens/L3FIP/Ice.pdf

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Because the work is petroleum related it's very strict on alchol and drug use. We get random tests onboard so it's not worth it.

Like you I prefer Christmas off. Work one year you get the next off which is fair

I wish our rotas were year about with Xmas on/off, it was like that when I was on supply boats due to four week tours, but working 2 weeks on/off basic rota (excluding the 4 weeks annual leave) means that it can be up to five years before you get a reverse. Fortunately I am getting a transfer to another ship and the rota for next year has me off for both Xmas and NY, I'll probably do a swap with my back to back there though to do one of them, the company lay on a load of free drink for us and I hate missing free drink more than I hate missing Xmas with the bairns. Four years straight I've been away for Santa.

What’s your problem ? You know fine well the cost of winter tyres as you posted what you seen advertised outside Arnold Clarks so why on earth would you be interested what I paid ? Curious to know why your digging away at the cost. I know Paisley punters are tight so are you concerned I spent too much ? Well thanks for the concern nice to know there is a nice friendly fellow St Mirren fan who cares. You must be a very nice young man :rolleyes:

fook sake, arent you touchy!

Whats supporting st.mirren and being from paisley got to do with anything? I simply enquired as to how much these life saving tyres set you back as all i knew was that they started at £270 a set. as it turns out you paid over 600 for yours, does that include the spare btw?

Anyway, you stated in your first post that you cant put a price on safety. clearly you can, thanks for eventually giving us an idea of the price range, i see why arnold clarks states 'starts from'.

This thread is begining to become a love-in for you and stoned sailor so i will bow out.

Happy and safe driving....................

I'd piss myself if this was the mildest winter ever and all you winters tyres purchasers never got the benefit. Now wheres my summer tyres?

Total waste of money imo. The girls parents just spent £600 on four and she doent even take the car out if its slightly snowing!!!

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 11 months later...

my first purchase was snow tyres when i immigrated, well you never know...and today, there was some foam on the road, but I was rage as f**k and just sped through.

PS anyone want to purchase a clean quad of snow tyres?

• 11 months later...

Archived