Who Has Got Snow Tyers

I'm abroad at the moment and have had to buy them- got a set in Croatia. They are mandatory in Slovenia, the Czech Republic and Austria and heavy fines are levied if you don't comply (something like 250 euro in Austria's case if memory serves).

I had to get them fitted in Croatia otherwise they probably wouldn't have let me in Slovenia. Cost was just under £200.

They are also mandatory in Estonia and Finland out of the other countries I've been to; again, massive fine if you refuse. Given the severity of the winter where I last lived in Scotland I'd have considered getting them this winter had I been at home.

Mandatory here in Norway as well.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I doubt you have snow tyres as they are illegal on UK roads, I daresay you have winter tyres instead.

I have winter tyres on the front of my Insignia and believe me it makes a huge difference, although granted with my line of work I do a lot of off-road driving. To be honest I should probably be driving a 4x4, but after putting winter tyres on the front of the Insignia my car will go anywhere it would do normally now.

It's all fine and well that some of you simply say "being a good driver is all you need", but quite frankly you are wrong and are most likely not subjected to the same conditions as some of the rest of us. In the Highlands there are many roads that are left completely untreated, and our roads aren't exactly the greatest anyway. I'd like to see how many of you lot could make it from the Braemore junction up the hill to Laide on the west coast today without winter tyres or a 4x4.

Another point more in agreeance though, is if you can't drive sensibly and safely on a motorway and major roads etc. during the snow without winter tyres on, then yes you should probably not have a drivers licence.

I was going to say, would you not just need them on the front, you've kind of answered that.

I've got snow socks which will get you out of a pickle but restrict your speed to 10-15 mph on snow. You just need to stay slow then take them off when you're clear of the dodgy bit. Can actually get them off and on really quick with a bit of practice.

Got a set of Michelin Alpine tyers though I have to say was gob smacked by the cost. But you can't put a price on safety and after last winter we want to be ready this time.

Most countries on mainland Europe make it law that you must put winter tyers on.

You seem like quite a gullible safety conscious guy.

Latest reports say winter tyres aren't really that good and to be extra safe in the snow, you should actually fit skis to your car.

I have a spare pair,like the ones photographed below I can send to you and prepared to sell them at 50% off, for only £500 the pair.

You'll never need to wrooy about driving in the snow ever again.

PM me for details ;)

snowmobile-car-2.jpg

i drove past arnold clarkes in paisley and they were advertising 4 winter tyres starting from only £270!!!

f**k that i thought, who is daft enough to pay that for 3 or 4 days out the year only to have to pay to get them replaced again.

So, how much did you pay?

First off let me get it right Tyres ! !

Winter tyres are not just about driving in the snow. They out perform normal tyres at temperatures below 7c.

A car travelling on wet roads at 7c or lower at 60mph will stop 4.8m shorter than a car with normal tyres. That distance could stop a serious crash or someone being knocked down.

A car travelling with winter tyres in an icy road at 20mph will stop at 11m shorter than a car with normal tyres.

These are all facts readily available if you care to look.

When it comes to snow winter tyres do not slip on snow. Some 4x4 will slip on snow with their normal tyres where a car fitted with winter tyres will not slip and can also climb steep roads.

It’s a personal choice, last year we had a hell of a time of it out in Lochwinnoch plus my wife has to travel to Neilson over the back roads to work.

I came round the corner on West Street at the Clyde in Glasgow sideways this morning.

Granted it was 07:00 and I was the only car on the road at the time and I did it on purpose, but your Winter Tyres would probably take away some of the enjoyment of fucking about on slippery roads. :angry:

I had a megane sport r26 with two of the most balding front tyres ever last winter. I was fine just took it easy never got stuck once. Though was a bit hairy a couple of times.

Changed to a Volvo . Was going to buy a set of snow socks as I've got the bairn now. But was kinda hoping that being a Swedish car it'd be pretty good in the snow

I was going to say, would you not just need them on the front, you've kind of answered that.

I've got snow socks which will get you out of a pickle but restrict your speed to 10-15 mph on snow. You just need to stay slow then take them off when you're clear of the dodgy bit. Can actually get them off and on really quick with a bit of practice.

It depends on the car you've got. If it's front wheel drive then you will only need on the front, but if it's rear wheel drive you will probably need on both.

I'll tell you what though, if you've only got them on the front you'll do what I do and carry a bit of speed into corners when it's quiet just so that the back end goes sideways but will always eventually pull itself back in, great fun indeed.

I came round the corner on West Street at the Clyde in Glasgow sideways this morning.

Granted it was 07:00 and I was the only car on the road at the time and I did it on purpose, but your Winter Tyres would probably take away some of the enjoyment of fucking about on slippery roads. :angry:

Read my post above. Put them only on the front for much fun.

You want to put these in your tyres when it gets a bit icy mate -

segs.jpg

I put mine in every November, about 50 per tyre. Grips in the snow like an ex-wife.

For added value, the sparks on a handbrake turn in the dry are ace.

I doubt you have snow tyres as they are illegal on UK roads, I daresay you have winter tyres instead.

I have winter tyres on the front of my Insignia and believe me it makes a huge difference, although granted with my line of work I do a lot of off-road driving. To be honest I should probably be driving a 4x4, but after putting winter tyres on the front of the Insignia my car will go anywhere it would do normally now.

It's all fine and well that some of you simply say "being a good driver is all you need", but quite frankly you are wrong and are most likely not subjected to the same conditions as some of the rest of us. In the Highlands there are many roads that are left completely untreated, and our roads aren't exactly the greatest anyway. I'd like to see how many of you lot could make it from the Braemore junction up the hill to Laide on the west coast today without winter tyres or a 4x4.

Another point more in agreeance though, is if you can't drive sensibly and safely on a motorway and major roads etc. during the snow without winter tyres on, then yes you should probably not have a drivers licence.

I read the first line then stopped reading because your opening statement is shyte, snow or studded tyres are not illegal in the UK so long as they do not damage the road surface.

Damage to road, person or vehicle

If the tyre causes either damage to the road, or to persons, or to any vehicle using the road. This would cover such instances as if a vehicle with damaged or very oversized tyres which either caught against a person or other vehicle resulting in either damage or injury. Studded tyres also are included in this clause and if used in inappropriate conditions (i.e. where there is no ice or snow) and they damage the road surface then they would be clearly illegal.

First off let me get it right Tyres ! !

Winter tyres are not just about driving in the snow. They out perform normal tyres at temperatures below 7c.

A car travelling on wet roads at 7c or lower at 60mph will stop 4.8m shorter than a car with normal tyres. That distance could stop a serious crash or someone being knocked down.

A car travelling with winter tyres in an icy road at 20mph will stop at 11m shorter than a car with normal tyres.

These are all facts readily available if you care to look.

When it comes to snow winter tyres do not slip on snow. Some 4x4 will slip on snow with their normal tyres where a car fitted with winter tyres will not slip and can also climb steep roads.

It’s a personal choice, last year we had a hell of a time of it out in Lochwinnoch plus my wife has to travel to Neilson over the back roads to work.

Are you seriously saying that winter tyres will not slip on snow? That they will hold on snow covered ice patches? They will hold on compacted snow with a thin layer of ice on it? No wonder you are so easily relieved of your money. A false sense of security is more dangerous than no security at all.

The type of tyres on a vehicle does not cause accidents, the driver of the vehicle being unprepared and pushing the car's limits in the given conditions is what causes accidents. As far as I can see people fitting winter tyres do so thinking that they can drive faster in the conditions when what is needed is for people to slow down and adjust their driving style to suit.

Are you seriously saying that winter tyres will not slip on snow? That they will hold on snow covered ice patches? They will hold on compacted snow with a thin layer of ice on it? No wonder you are so easily relieved of your money. A false sense of security is more dangerous than no security at all.

The type of tyres on a vehicle does not cause accidents, the driver of the vehicle being unprepared and pushing the car's limits in the given conditions is what causes accidents. As far as I can see people fitting winter tyres do so thinking that they can drive faster in the conditions when what is needed is for people to slow down and adjust their driving style to suit.

To a point I'd agree with that, certainly a winter tyre will hold and grip considerably better in the snow and in the ice however. They will obviously have a limit of grip like all tyres but will reach that limit later in snow however like you say shouldn't be a false sense of security. Ordinary tyres don't cause accidents in snow as all are down to bad driving/mistakes but certainly a crap set of tyres will aid in the accident should the unexpected happen even at a slow speed.

If I owned a BMW and lived up near a hill then yes I can see the point or if it was a rural area where there was often ice and snow then again they are worthwhile. I can see the point in winter tyres, and whilst I wouldn't spend the £250 or whatever on a set, I wouldn't beat up on people that have.

To a point I'd agree with that, certainly a winter tyre will hold and grip considerably better in the snow and in the ice however. They will obviously have a limit of grip like all tyres but will reach that limit later in snow however like you say shouldn't be a false sense of security. Ordinary tyres don't cause accidents in snow as all are down to bad driving/mistakes but certainly a crap set of tyres will aid in the accident should the unexpected happen even at a slow speed.

If I owned a BMW and lived up near a hill then yes I can see the point or if it was a rural area where there was often ice and snow then again they are worthwhile. I can see the point in winter tyres, and whilst I wouldn't spend the £250 or whatever on a set, I wouldn't beat up on people that have.

I am not going to beat him up, I don't even know what he looks like.

Seriously though, he opened the discussion with "Most countries on mainland Europe make it law that you must put winter tyers (sic) on." when clearly it is a minority of countries and most of those have roads where the tarmac is covered in snow or ice for weeks of the year. Later he lists 4 countries which are supposed to have laws requiring the fitting of "winter tyres" when none of them require the fitting of "winter tyres" even Germany only requires "all weather tyres" to be fitted in wintery conditions. Apart from his inacuracies in his posts I believe that all weather tyres are better fitted in Scotland (for normal motoring use) all year around anyway due to the volume of rain we get all year around. Then, and this is his biggest mistake, he claims that "When it comes to snow winter tyres do not slip on snow." given that snow is more slipery than tarmac then why do car manufacturers still insist on fitting TCS? If a winter tyre will not slip on snow then there is no fucking way it will slip on tarmac, don't fit TCS just fit winter tyres.

I am not attacking him for fitting winter tyres I am attacking his reasoning behind fitting winter tyres, as far as I can make out he feels that he can now drive faster in these conditions with these tyres which is more dangerous than someone who can drive properly with standard tyres on. The salesmen at Kwikfit have a lot to answer for.

Would a set of tyre chains, put on when they were actually needed (then put away till next year), not do a sufficient job here for a fraction of the price?

http://www.which.co.uk/news/2010/11/snow-socks-or-winter-tyres-238011/

Snow socks seem to be the answer.

Snow socks or winter tyres?

Coping with winter conditions has become a bigger issue in recent years following consecutive seasons of heavy snowfall.

Winter tyres are now being offered on a wider basis than ever before, with nearly every manufacturer now listing a specific tyre for winter conditions.

But the cost of buying winter tyres and having them fitted and removed is high in comparison to snow socks. We believe snow tyres are difficult to justify unless you live in a very remote area.

Which? hasnt tested snow socks yet, but because you only have to fit them to the driven wheels, you only need to buy a pair (unless you have a four-wheel-drive car), making them more cost effective.

David Evans, senior researcher for motoring at Which?, said: At £50 a pair, tyre socks are certainly a cheap alternative to buying and fitting a set of winter tyres and rims. They should only be used for the odd occasion when conditions really justify it though, and as we haven't tested them, we can't say how good they'll be at getting you out of trouble.

Read more: http://www.which.co.uk/news/2010/11/snow-socks-or-winter-tyres-238011/#ixzz1ffTulIcO

Consumer Champions Which?

Under Creative Commons License: Attribution Non-Commercial

Even consumers' champions Which? Magazine find it difficult to justify buying winter tyres unless you live in a remote area. You wouldn't spend hundreds of pounds on a stereo without researching them so why not do the same for tyres, which could save your life?

I've never used them and have never had a problem driving in snow, i continued driving 6 hours a day last year during the worst of it. I have often thought that it's a ploy by the tyre manufacterers to get more money out of you.

If you adapt your driving style accordingly then snow tyres won't make much of a difference.

Absolute nonsense.

I have lived in Norway during the winter and can tell you that winter tyres make a huge difference.

I run my BMW with winter tyres and it goes everwhere during the snow. Basically any weather under 7 degrees and a winter tyre gives you benefits.

Archived