Who Has Got Snow Tyers

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No doubt a worthy and timely message from the Zebra, but why the big secret?

its worse than one of those door to door salesman that come around telling you that they are replacing your neighbours windows and if you would like a quote. only they cant simply give you the same quote as your neighbour even though the house is identical. no, he has to keep repeating the sales pitch till you tell him to f**k off.

so, anyway, how much do these mcalpine mountain mashers cost?

stonedsailor,

There is factual independent testing be done that proves winter tyres will stop you by a very large margin in snow and on ice compared to normal tyres. Auto Express have all the test results available on line

Your asking me if I change the tyres when its raining. Again independent test results show in the winter months the winter tyres will stop far shorter than conventional tyres on a wet road.

Finally surly a tyres which have proved to stop at far greater distances handle far superiorly on snow and iced roads including wet winter roads has to be a good thing.

We have the choice as to whether you want that extra safety in the winter months.

I am lucky in that I can go and put these tyres on our car with the knowledge that maybe it will help to keep the family on the move living in an out laying area with the add safety at the same time. Its a no brainier.

Personally if the manufacturer of tyres would bring the cost down far more families would purchase these tyres.

Yep that's where I got mine last month with 20% off

I never said anywhere that these tyres don't perform as claimed I am stating that the benefits gained from these tyres can also be gained from adjusting your driving style on good all weather, even summer tyres so I do not feel the need to drop hundreds of pounds just to drive a wee bit faster. I could buy one of those massive rubber balls that you can roll down hills in and be sure never to suffer an injury through a trip or fall again, I'd even go as far as to say it would protect me if hit by a car but I am not going to go out and spend hundreds on one when I can just practice good observation and get the same result.

When I asked about the rain I was meaning do you change your tyres when it rains during the spring, summer or Autumn? Tyres designed for wet weather would give as much of a benefit to you during those months as tyres designed for the winter would in winter months.

These tyres are being used to prise more cash from an already skint public through scaremongering tactics when the message should be "slow down, increase the distance between you and the vehicle in front and drive according to the conditions" If it makes you feel better knowing you have them then I will take it you are pleased with your investment, I believe them to be a waste of money until they drop in price to a level more akin with all weather tyres.

its worse than one of those door to door salesman that come around telling you that they are replacing your neighbours windows and if you would like a quote. only they cant simply give you the same quote as your neighbour even though the house is identical. no, he has to keep repeating the sales pitch till you tell him to f**k off.

so, anyway, how much do these mcalpine mountain mashers cost?

What’s your problem ? You know fine well the cost of winter tyres as you posted what you seen advertised outside Arnold Clarks so why on earth would you be interested what I paid ? Curious to know why your digging away at the cost. I know Paisley punters are tight so are you concerned I spent too much ? Well thanks for the concern nice to know there is a nice friendly fellow St Mirren fan who cares. You must be a very nice young man :rolleyes:

What’s your problem ? You know fine well the cost of winter tyres as you posted what you seen advertised outside Arnold Clarks so why on earth would you be interested what I paid ? Curious to know why your digging away at the cost. I know Paisley punters are tight so are you concerned I spent too much ? Well thanks for the concern nice to know there is a nice friendly fellow St Mirren fan who cares. You must be a very nice young man :rolleyes:

Why so secretive? Ashamed to have been sucked in by the salesman's patter? Don't worry we have all been bumped once.

How much did you get stung for? Will you be appearing on the next series of "the real hustle"?

What's your problem ? You know fine well the cost of winter tyres as you posted what you seen advertised outside Arnold Clarks so why on earth would you be interested what I paid ? Curious to know why your digging away at the cost. I know Paisley punters are tight so are you concerned I spent too much ? Well thanks for the concern nice to know there is a nice friendly fellow St Mirren fan who cares. You must be a very nice young man :rolleyes:

Every question of safety is a balance between cost and effectiveness. You've been heavily pushing the effectiveness side so why do you refuse to tell us the cost?

Every question of safety is a balance between cost and effectiveness. You've been heavily pushing the effectiveness side so why do you refuse to tell us the cost?

Damn you, great post. Greeny'd.

So zeebra, how much?

Jesus fucking christ. Why is everyone having such a go? This seems like a massive overreaction.

For the record, I live in a town, so I see no real benefit in getting winter tyres, especially since I have no real problems driving in snow normally. However, I'm not going to be a total dick about it...

Why so secretive? Ashamed to have been sucked in by the salesman's patter? Don't worry we have all been bumped once.

How much did you get stung for? Will you be appearing on the next series of "the real hustle"?

It's not secretive. I have a sports car with extra large wheels that means expensive rubber. Fine I know what I am purchasing.

The car has two sets of alloys. One for winter and one for summer. Boys and their toys. 8)

Jesus fucking christ. Why is everyone having such a go? This seems like a massive overreaction.

For the record, I live in a town, so I see no real benefit in getting winter tyres, especially since I have no real problems driving in snow normally. However, I'm not going to be a total dick about it...

Your right . I know what’s going on so quite happy to see them prodding away

It's not secretive. I have a sports car with extra large wheels that means expensive rubber. Fine I know what I am purchasing.

The car has two sets of alloys. One for winter and one for summer. Boys and their toys. 8)

Aye but.......how much?

On 12/5/2011 at 19:00, Demented Zebra said:

How much do you pay for your weed. Care to share that with us.

Aye, I've just about stopped smoking weed due to random drug tests, the missus still smokes and I partake when I know I have a period of leave long enough to clear my system. High grade skunk we pay about £50 a quarter going down in price to £10-15 for a Q of soap if she's desperate for a smoke. I generally smoke herbal pot-purri (sp?) blends which are laced with am2201 and/or am694 both of which are still legal in this country and a hell of a lot stronger than the JWH blends such as the banned "Spice" this comes in at about £20-£30 for 3g but due to the strength of these chemicals a pouch can last longer than a half Q of weed, at the end of the day though you can't put a price of pissing in a cup baked out of your head and watching the surprise on the skipper's face when you test clean.

So what about you dude?

On 12/5/2011 at 19:18, stonedsailor said:

Aye, I've just about stopped smoking weed due to random drug tests, the missus still smokes and I partake when I know I have a period of leave long enough to clear my system. High grade skunk we pay about £50 a quarter going down in price to £10-15 for a Q of soap if she's desperate for a smoke. I generally smoke herbal pot-purri (sp?) blends which are laced with am2201 and/or am694 both of which are still legal in this country and a hell of a lot stronger than the JWH blends such as the banned "Spice" this comes in at about £20-£30 for 3g but due to the strength of these chemicals a pouch can last longer than a half Q of weed, at the end of the day though you can't put a price of pissing in a cup baked out of your head and watching the surprise on the skipper's face when you test clean.

So what about you dude?

Total cost plus fitting with a 20% discount £620. Could easily have got cheaper to rubber but I like Michelin they have a factory in Dundee so I see it as helping our own. Might sound silly but that's me. Silly.

I'm offshore also normally on a diving ship. At the moment on a pipe layer

Total cost plus fitting with a 20% discount £620. Could easily have got cheaper to rubber but I like Michelin they have a factory in Dundee so I see it as helping our own. Might sound silly but that's me. Silly.

I'm offshore also normally on a diving ship. At the moment on a pipe layer

Lol, well then you can afford it :P , and you are now a complete ass, I no longer feel like trolling you since you have outed yourself as a fellow seafarer pffft. ;)

In truth though, I really can't justify, for myself, spending that kind of money on tyres. I lived in Badenoch for a good portion of my life and never had problems with the winter driving even remembering winters worse than the past two we have had but those are probably false memories.

Lol, well then you can afford it :P , and you are now a complete ass, I no longer feel like trolling you since you have outed yourself as a fellow seafarer pffft. ;)

In truth though, I really can't justify, for myself, spending that kind of money on tyres. I lived in Badenoch for a good portion of my life and never had problems with the winter driving even remembering winters worse than the past two we have had but those are probably false memories.

I understand some dont need the tyres my good lady is a teacher and needs to get to her work driving a load of B roads.

I'm away just now and wont get back till 7th of January real bummer.

Are you home for Christmas.

All the best to you and your good lady for Christmas and new year :)

I understand some dont need the tyres my good lady is a teacher and needs to get to her work driving a load of B roads.

I'm away just now and wont get back till 7th of January real bummer.

Are you home for Christmas.

All the best to you and your good lady for Christmas and new year :)

No mate I join my ship, well if you can call a ferry a ship, on 13th December and home on the 27th so New Year at home. I prefer it the other way around having a family, Xmas at home and New Year away for the lifting of the drink ban aboard. All the best to you and yours as well. :) Have you a bar aboard or will it be the prohibition Xmas special of Eisberg and Kaliber?

I owe you some thanks too, I invested in some snow socks for the wife's motor due only to this thread, she too commutes through B roads to get to work.

Nice list of countries, which ones is it that it is mandatory ie a legal requirement to have winter tyres fitted to your car as stated by the dementedzebra? Links would be nice.

I never said a legal requirement making them mandatory, I said they had legislation. It was only the zebra that said that. Do a quick google search and you'll find lots of sites that list this.

Nice explanation for the snow thing cheers for taking the time to explain. It brings heehaw to the discussion though other than you are stating on snow winter tyres are no safer than summer tyres. I also found this quote which states there is another school of thought as to why snow and ice are slippery and that at temperatures of 0 degrees and below pressure does not make that much of a difference.

If you look back, I did explain that there is a film of water on the film of ice. One of the reason that winter tyres work better in these conditions is because they have extra tread to displace more water. So yes, that makes them safer than summer tyres.

I never said decreasing a car's stopping distance was not safer, I said it was not any safer than increasing the distance between your car and an object in front of it.

So what's the harm in doing both?

Anyway, the important part for me is that they make a massive difference when I off-road in my Insignia. That and the fact I don't pay for them, my work does.

No mate I join my ship, well if you can call a ferry a ship, on 13th December and home on the 27th so New Year at home. I prefer it the other way around having a family, Xmas at home and New Year away for the lifting of the drink ban aboard. All the best to you and yours as well. :) Have you a bar aboard or will it be the prohibition Xmas special of Eisberg and Kaliber?

I owe you some thanks too, I invested in some snow socks for the wife's motor due only to this thread, she too commutes through B roads to get to work.

Because the work is petroleum related it's very strict on alchol and drug use. We get random tests onboard so it's not worth it.

Like you I prefer Christmas off. Work one year you get the next off which is fair

Archived