Homeland

Quentin Taranbino

Prison Break was still enjoyable right through but the second series was nowhere near as good as the first ,what I mean is the quality starts to dip,not necessarily that it is pish, although Heroes was.

The first 2 series' of Heroes were both great. Anything after is absolutely pish. Particularly the last series.

Why fucking watch US TV shows then?

because they are extremely entertaining.

but they aren't like novels or movies in that they are not a fully formed text. the creators of books and movies have the ability to go back and edit their stories and can create in any order they see fit. tv shows (and particularly american ones) have the pressure of trying to write while filming and also have to deal with the demands of networks, the reaction of fans, the availability of actors and other factors. a lot of it is made up on the hop and i think it's quite rare for shows to have planned too far ahead.

a few examples.

lost - jack was supposed to die in the first episode and kate take charge but the producers didn't like her as the main character when they started filming. the guy that played eko quit the show. the fans hated the introduction of paulo and nicki so they got bumped. the actress that played ana lucia got sacked due to getting arrested all the time. ben was supposed to be a minor character but got promoted because he was such a good actor. an interesting article on the origins lost which gives a good account of american tv show production.

boardwalk empire - clearly been instructed to be more like game of thrones. season 3 started with a lot of focus on women''s health, racial tension within chalky's family, van alden's attempted redemption and then abandoned them all in favour of fan pleasing violence which co-coincided with the show being renewed for season 4 (a good choice imo, better an excellent action show than an average serious drama)

luck - cancelled due to peta protests.

breaking bad - had a change of direction midway through season 3 because the mexican brothers were rubbish and gus was brilliant.

the sopranos - had to delay season 4 because of the writer's strike, had to deal with nancy marchand passing away between seasons 2 and 3. they had to write paulie out for a while because of the actor's health which led to more silvio and the guy who played ally boy got the jail for dealing.

the walking dead - had to spend the entire second season running about a farm because amc gave all their money to mad men, this eventually led to the showrunner quitting and someone else taking over.

Edited by T_S_A_R

I assumed from that ending that it meant that was it, no more series. Is there definetely a third season?

dont see what in that episode gave you that idea.

sauls now a bigger deal at the CIA and that has to be good for the terrorists as im sure hes been their main man all along,a good basis for a new series

dont see what in that episode gave you that idea.

sauls now a bigger deal at the CIA and that has to be good for the terrorists as im sure hes been their main man all along,a good basis for a new series

...and Carrie will be fighting to clear Brody's name.

Did Quinn miss the funeral too? Another "angle".

i don't think quinn would be invited to funeral.

it'll be interesting to see if saul owns up to knowing brody was a terrorist months before the bombing and having seen the video. i'm guessing not because the truth would surely mean him and carrie getting binned from the cia.

it'll be interesting to see if saul owns up to knowing brody was a terrorist months before the bombing and having seen the video. i'm guessing not because the truth would surely mean him and carrie getting binned from the cia.

The CIA also knew about the video - Saul showed it to Carrie then took it to Estes, hence the reason Brodie was questioned then recruited.

I'm not convinced he's the "mole", though. Yes, things keep pointing to it (the polygraph, "conveniently" being away when the bomb went off), but it seems too obvious. And his Hebrew prayer at the end was, I suspect, put there for people to think it was Arabic.

Edited by The Master

The CIA also knew about the video - Saul showed it to Carrie then took it to Estes, hence the reason Brodie was questioned then recruited.

I'm not convinced he's the "mole", though. Yes, things keep pointing to it (the polygraph, "conveniently" being away when the bomb went off), but it seems too obvious. And his Hebrew prayer at the end was, I suspect, put there for people to think it was Arabic.

Apart from that, why do people think Saul's a terrorist/mole? It's not an angle I was really getting.

they kept it secret between themselves. hence the shitty off campus command room and carrie's two gormless pals doing all the surveillance work on a matter of national security.

the only people alive who definitely know that video was in cia hands long before the attack are saul, carrie and quinn from the cia plus the two stooges and brody himself.

Apart from that, why do people think Saul's a terrorist/mole? It's not an angle I was really getting.

I think the seed was sown in the first season when he failed a polygraph test, then happened to be around when a suspect (I forget who) was slipped a razor blade and killed himself. There's then loads of smaller things (i.e. like last night when he happened to be away when the bomb went off).

they kept it secret between themselves. hence the shitty off campus command room and carrie's two gormless pals doing all the surveillance work on a matter of national security.

the only people alive who definitely know that video was in cia hands long before the attack are saul, carrie and quinn from the cia plus the two stooges and brody himself.

I don't think it's unrealistic to expect the CIA to have secrets, even within the organisation. They already suspected they had a mole, so it's fairly easy to justify a "need to know" approach.

They also needed Brody to continue as a Congressman and potential running mate, and the more people that knew, the bigger chance of the VP finding out.