Scottish Cup For Juniors

Captain Kerthorse

Im told that the SFA are putting forward proposals, for discussion at the June AGM regarding Junior clubs participation in the senior scottish cup.

as they stand the proposals are for the 3 x Junior Super League Winners + the holders of the junior cup from season 04/05 be granted partcipation in the Scottish Qualifying cup along with the various other teams...

Has to be voted on but sounds a cracking idea to me....

Guest Pompey

Can see no reason why the big junior teams would want to play against the likes of Brechin and ES.

It's 2 completely different administrations anyway, SJFA and SFA. It would be like rugby league teams playing in the powergen cup!

Can see no reason why the big junior teams would want to play against the likes of Brechin

Agree. Be like turkeys voting for Christmas the roasting Brechin would give them.

No reason why they shouldn't get the chance to qualify though.

Should have happened years ago. Their should be a pyramid league structure in Scotland anyway so that teams looking for success can progress through the leagues not just get stale with no relegation and promotion.

Dont think it would work personally. I would have more teams into the Scottish cup however, instead of just the 4. Maybe that way we get to play Fraserburgh again since they are so shit at the qualifying rounds.

Have to agree with Pompey.

Its two different adminstrations, is it not the Scottish Football Association Challange Cup?

The juniors knew what they were doing when they broke away from the SFA, so therefore they forfiet the right to play in SFA competitions.

If they were to rejoin the SFA, that would be a different scenario. It might even improve Scottish footie as a whole.

Shouldn't be too hard to organise.

Girvan have set the way with a dual membership..ie they just went to the Juniors this season but can still qualify for the Scottish Cup.

I think it's a great idea.

I wonder how the Celtic fans would fancy a trek to Kilwinning. :huh:

I'd also use it as an excuse to start a Pyramid system to open the bottom of Division 3.

Cant see why it wouldnt work. Its nothing like Rugby League and Rugby Union because they have different sets of rules. Football is football. How many grounds would be up to standard though? The only Junior ground ive ever seen is Dunbar United.

It would be great for Berwick to play Dunbar though. 20 mins on the train and a good piss up before Berwicks first ever derby match :D Unless you count Meadowbank

I would be up for it but the security would have to be a hell of a lot better than it is just now. I've been to a few grounds like Camelon and Bo'ness amongst others and there's loads of neds swallying Bucky in the ground not to mention hitting players with rocks, bottles etc.

I think it would be a good idea. People always say how the top couple of leagues at junior level pay more money to their players than the Third Division, and how these teams attract more fans etc.

Would be a good chance to see how true this is, plus a greater chance of giant-killing in the Cup, which is a good thing too IMO. Also nice to visit some different grounds, rather than the same ones every season.

Guest Pompey
Cant see why it wouldnt work. Its nothing like Rugby League and Rugby Union because they have different sets of rules. Football is football. How many grounds would be up to standard though? The only Junior ground ive ever seen is Dunbar United.

Believe me, the Juniors most certainly have a different set of rules! :lol:;)

Top junior grounds are great, the terracing at Pollok and Arthurlie in particular puts some SFL1 clus to shame!

Do think we hould make a National Junior Premier League (Conference) and that the winner should be automatically promoted into the 3rd with the bottom 3rd team (probably East Stirling) going down.

With the 2nd bottom 3rd Divison and 2nd top team of the conference having a 2 leg playoff!

Do think we hould make a National Junior Premier League (Conference) and that the winner should be automatically promoted into the 3rd with the bottom 3rd team (probably East Stirling) going down.

With the 2nd bottom 3rd Divison and 2nd top team of the conference having a 2 leg playoff!

And what would the East of Scotland league, etc, say.

The are members of the SFA. I agree that promotion up and down is a must, but they must be members of the SFA (or a new combined body) or it would not work.

Archived