French magazine office firebombed...

Swampy

• Replies 769
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You sound well edgy.

He's right though, anyone who lives their life or tells others how they should live theirs because of made up stories and imaginary universe creating beings deserves to have the pish ripped out of them at every opportunity.

He's right though, anyone who lives their life or tells others how they should live theirs because of made up stories and imaginary universe creating beings deserves to have the pish ripped out of them at every opportunity.

I understand the "telling others how to live their life" bit and agree with that, but what's wrong with someone believing in a religion and quietly going about their life?

It seems you don't want a religious person telling you how to live you're life but you're more than happy to ridicule them for the way they live theirs, however peacefully.

Is it any worse than being told how to live your life through scientific ideolgies? Ecology and economics are examples of sciences which are used that heavily influence government policy, these benefit cetain people more than others and can be twisted to suit peoples needs much in the same way religion can.

I understand the "telling others how to live their life" bit and agree with that, but what's wrong with someone believing in a religion and quietly going about their life? It seems you don't want a religious person telling you how to live you're life but you're more than happy to ridicule them for the way they live theirs, however peacefully.
If that happened I probably wouldn't be so ardent in my opposition. But we know that's not the case. Throughout the world people are using these fairy stories to oppress and persecute others. From the most severe and widespread examples in the Middle East and Africa, to the more 'civilised' Western countries.I've previously said that I have no problem someone saying to me that they believe that there is a higher power that somehow is responsible for creation; I would simply disagree with them on the basis that there is no evidence. My problem is with organised religion where people believe stories that have been passed down over centuries and use an interpretation of these stories to repress a whole host of people based on their gender, colour, sexuality and unwillingness to conform.
Is it any worse than being told how to live your life through scientific ideolgies? Ecology and economics are examples of sciences which are used that heavily influence government policy, these benefit cetain people more than others and can be twisted to suit peoples needs much in the same way religion can.
Economics is a social science. Your comparison must be about the most tenuous I have seen inany of the threads on this subject.

If that happened I probably wouldn't be so ardent in my opposition. But we know that's not the case. Throughout the world people are using these fairy stories to oppress and persecute others. From the most severe and widespread examples in the Middle East and Africa, to the more 'civilised' Western countries. I've previously said that I have no problem someone saying to me that they believe that there is a higher power that somehow is responsible for creation; I would simply disagree with them on the basis that there is no evidence. My problem is with organised religion where people believe stories that have been passed down over centuries and use an interpretation of these stories to repress a whole host of people based on their gender, colour, sexuality and unwillingness to conform.

I was specifically referring to his "people who live their life believing in religion deserve ridiculed at every opportunity". Not all people do deserve that. My own parents for example are Christians, yeah they took me to church sometimes when I was wee but it was really more in a "make friends with the other kids" kind of way, rather than forcefully ramming Jesus down my throat. As soon as I was old enough to understand what church was actually about and understand religion I told them I didn't want to go to church. No problem. Now, if that's how my mum and dad are then I can believe that a lot of them will be the same.

I agree with you that people in positions of power use religion to control people and this is wrong, it just can't be a blanket put over everyone who believes though.

Economics is a social science. Your comparison must be about the most tenuous I have seen inany of the threads on this subject.

How about eccology? The point I'm trying to raise is that coming up with the most mutually beneficial system of running things is a massively difficult undertaking. Religion is one of the methods that has been used to atempt that, it has been beneficial for some and not others. People have used various ideolgies to rule and some of these have been based around branches of science, have they been any fairer than what we've had in the past? For some peole yes, for others no.

I was specifically referring to his "people who live their life believing in religion deserve ridiculed at every opportunity". Not all people do deserve that. My own parents for example are Christians, yeah they took me to church sometimes when I was wee but it was really more in a "make friends with the other kids" kind of way, rather than forcefully ramming Jesus down my throat. As soon as I was old enough to understand what church was actually about and understand religion I told them I didn't want to go to church. No problem. Now, if that's how my mum and dad are then I can believe that a lot of them will be the same.

I agree with you that people in positions of power use religion to control people and this is wrong, it just can't be a blanket put over everyone who believes though.

I don't want to get into the situation where I am having a go at someone's parents, but I will make the following points. Firstly I know many people who call themselves Christians but who have different interpretations of what this means. Some reject many of the basic tenets of Christianity, they don't 'really' believe that Jesus was the son of God or that he came back from the dead. They like the idea of some sort of moral code to live by and feel their interpretation of Christianity offers this.

These folk are usually nice, decent people and are not too reticent to discuss their views - don't get me wrong I don't go about quizzing folk about their religious affiliations but over my lifetime I've found that, by and large, the people holding the most militant religious views are those who are least willing to discuss them when you begin to probe them.

Equally I have come across some Christians who buy into the whole shebang; those like that tends to be pretty intolerant of those who question their commitment to a set of religious myths that have absolutely no foundation. Yet these people are equally intolerant of other views.

Take Scientology. I have never met someone (or even seen someone on P&B) who has anything other than disdain for the nut jobs that follow these teachings. Yet, does a Christian who believes, without any evidence whatsover, that Jesus was born of a virgin, performed miracles and rose from the dead have the moral authority to question the equally bizarre beliefs of a Scientologist.

I love how religionists make it up as they go along. Pretty sure a core tenet of Christianity is turning the other cheek, forgiving sins etc etc but then the Pope says if anyone slags off his mum he'd smack them in the pus. Has he even read the bible?

Archived