French magazine office firebombed...

Swampy

• Replies 769
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do you not agree?

No mate. A bunch of journalists (who were caught completely unaware) against nutters with military training and AK47s, more people would've just been caught in the crossfire.

Also loose gun controls in America have hardly helped any of the victims of incidents like this over there.... The office was guarded by armed trained police and they didn't manage to get a shot in against the mob that attacked either.

More guns wouldn't of solved anything.

Tons of the Cartoons on Google images. Everyone gets it, jews, christians, muslims, homophobes and the Front national.

In there I found this

images5.jpeg

Hates the first amendment it seems.

Something you found on google images? Have you bothered to check its veracity or the context?

Free speech is a right, not an obligation to spout a bunch of bile about other people for no actual reason.

When it comes to something as personal and trivial as religion, hopefully the future belongs to people who are capable of going about their own business whilst leaving others to do whatever the f**k they want. I think "the future must belong" refers to the cultural zeitgeist rather than some kind of purge on society's wankers. The wee minded on either side should be able to keep doing their thing if they want (within the limits of the law obviously), that's their choice.

Of course Islam isn't a race but it's a religion quite commonly practiced in western countries by people who are regularly made to feel like the Other and are common targets for racism and xenophobia. Islam might not be a race but the people who spend their time making widespread assumptions about it's followers based on the actions of several extremists aren't being rational critics of religion let's be honest.

My assumption of people who live their lives based on sky fairy scriptures that are thousands of years old is that they are fuckwits and that society will be a better place when they start questioning and challenging the brainwashing that they are subject to from an early age. It is not based on the action of extremists.

As to 'rational critics of religion', the only rational thing to do is be extremely critical.

When it comes to something as personal and trivial as religion, hopefully the future belongs to people who are capable of going about their own business whilst leaving others to do whatever the f**k they want.

This is really the antithesis of organised religion.

Free speech is a right, not an obligation to spout a bunch of bile about other people for no actual reason.

But it is then the right of people to spout bile, as Charlie Hebdo did to spout bile about all religion. Which they did.

This is really the antithesis of organised religion.

If religion is intolerant and parochial (in my opinion it is in the vast majority of cases) then anyone criticising or satirising religion for its intolerance or parochialism gets my respect.

"f**k yer Mohammed then lolololol" or the illustrated equivalent doesn't go down as an admirable use of free speech to me. Doesn't deserve to get you hurt but it doesn't demand any kind of intellectual respect either.

But it is then the right of people to spout bile, as Charlie Hebdo did to spout bile about all religion. Which they did.

My bad, I only used the two disclaimers on my first post that Charlie Hebdo has every right to publish what they did. I'll look at for your name in the "reading this topic" bit and make sure to emphasise this at least 8 times in future.

Yep, the speech is on youtube.

You left out this bit:

Here in the United States, countless publications provoke offense. Like me, the majority of Americans are Christian, and yet we do not ban blasphemy against our most sacred beliefs. As President of our country and Commander-in-Chief of our military, I accept that people are going to call me awful things every day -- (laughter) -- and I will always defend their right to do so. (Applause.)

Americans have fought and died around the globe to protect the right of all people to express their views, even views that we profoundly disagree with. We do not do so because we support hateful speech, but because our founders understood that without such protections, the capacity of each individual to express their own views and practice their own faith may be threatened. We do so because in a diverse society, efforts to restrict speech can quickly become a tool to silence critics and oppress minorities.
We do so because given the power of faith in our lives, and the passion that religious differences can inflame, the strongest weapon against hateful speech is not repression; it is more speech -- the voices of tolerance that rally against bigotry and blasphemy, and lift up the values of understanding and mutual respect.
Now, I know that not all countries in this body share this particular understanding of the protection of free speech. We recognize that. But in 2012, at a time when anyone with a cell phone can spread offensive views around the world with the click of a button, the notion that we can control the flow of information is obsolete. The question, then, is how do we respond?
And on this we must agree: There is no speech that justifies mindless violence. (Applause.) There are no words that excuse the killing of innocents. There's no video that justifies an attack on an embassy. There's no slander that provides an excuse for people to burn a restaurant in Lebanon, or destroy a school in Tunis, or cause death and destruction in Pakistan.

"f**k yer Mohammed then lolololol" or the illustrated equivalent doesn't go down as an admirable use of free speech to me.

Which this absolutely wasn't.

Archived