Hillsborough debate

Desert Nomad

Probably because they weren't.

Any of them? I understand the people hurt or killed were blameless. But a criminal investigation will need to look at all the circumstances.

Should the criminally poor response by the police absolve any others of culpability for their behaviour?

Any of them? I understand the people hurt or killed were blameless. But a criminal investigation will need to look at all the circumstances.

Should the criminally poor response by the police absolve any others of culpability for their behaviour?

FFS, I can't believe that that the findings of a jury, after sitting for two years,are still being questioned.

Archie and me have already posted a film of what went on.

Lots of reading here, but those who are interested, the evidence is all here.

https://hillsboroughinquests.independent.gov.uk/

Couple of things -

1. "Unlawfully killed" - I don't get the phrasing here. No one is ever "lawfully killed" in this country unless shot by police in the act of a crime. Given that all deaths are "unlawful" this doesn't set them apart from any others. Wouldn't "accidental death" or "death by neglect/omission" have been more accurate?

2. The fans have been cleared of any blame. I'm taking this to mean that everyone had tickets (as I've had pointed out to me here before when I dared to suggest ticketless fans had to shoulder some blame). Given that there's no way all those fans would have fitted in that terracing, whose idea was it to print off and sell too many tickets for that end of the ground?

I don't think this is all done by a long shot. Blame, resignations and compensation stuff will follow soon.

FFS, I can't believe that that the findings of a jury, after sitting for two years,are still being questioned.

That's what happens when people are blinkered/racist/bigoted I'm afraid.

Couple of things -

1. "Unlawfully killed" - I don't get the phrasing here. No one is ever "lawfully killed" in this country unless shot by police in the act of a crime. Given that all deaths are "unlawful" this doesn't set them apart from any others. Wouldn't "accidental death" or "death by neglect/omission" have been more accurate?

2. The fans have been cleared of any blame. I'm taking this to mean that everyone had tickets (as I've had pointed out to me here before when I dared to suggest ticketless fans had to shoulder some blame). Given that there's no way all those fans would have fitted in that terracing, whose idea was it to print off and sell too many tickets for that end of the ground?

I don't think this is all done by a long shot. Blame, resignations and compensation stuff will follow soon.

I don't know if there were more tickets than spaces, 1/2 that terrace was virtually empty and not all the turnstiles were in operation.

I agree with you Sarge.

I don't know if there were more tickets than spaces, 1/2 that terrace was virtually empty and not all the turnstiles were in operation.

That was it in a nutshell. Side pens were half empty while two central pens were fatally overcrowded

Thank you for that.

Couple of things -

Manslaughter. That is what charges would be under the terms you describe.

Can't explain your second point,although Liverpool did ask fans to send tickets back in to attempt to account for all those in attendance. Those who died had tickets on their person.

As previously noted, Liverpool asked to change ends after crushing the previous year- and that was with crowd control in place.

Manslaughter. That is what charges would be under the terms you describe.

Can't explain your second point,although Liverpool did ask fans to send tickets back in to attempt to account for all those in attendance. Those who died had tickets on their person.

As previously noted, Liverpool asked to change ends after crushing the previous year- and that was with crowd control in place.

Was changing ends not having both sets of fans coming in the "wrong" way, i.e. Leppings Lane was the end convenient for Liverpool and the other end convenient for Nottingham?

I've read it and agree with it all except for question 7. Supporters couldn't reasonably forseen the extent of the consequences but I still believe their was a behavioural aspect.

It's a forum, I'm not bound by the jury's decision.

I've read it and agree with it all except for question 7. Supporters couldn't reasonably forseen the extent of the consequences but I still believe their was a behavioural aspect.

It's a forum, I'm not bound by the jury's decision.

Fair point,and neither am I bound by their decision- though I've followed this case closely enough to agree with them.