Hillsborough debate

Desert Nomad

A petition has been started in Liverpool to have kenny dalglish knighted.

Now while he can be a p***k of a man at times surely he is deserving of a knighthood for not only his services to football but also all that he did in the aftermath of hillsborough.

No

He doesn't deserve a knighthood, definitely not for his services to football (despite being a great player) but i'm sure their are plenty of other people that have put more time and effort into Hillsbrough that deserve more recognition for the work over the years than Kenny has

Now while he can be a p***k of a man at times surely he is deserving of a knighthood for not only his services to football but also all that he did in the aftermath of hillsborough.

I've already quoted Kenny Dalglish's reptilic comments on Heysel.

"A p***k of a man" is being very very generous to him.

And that's not even taking into account his behaviour last season.

can anyone describe or link to any significant evidence that has came up through this? i've heard a lot of general chatter but not much by the way of specific examples of new evidence.

There's little or no new evidence in respect of what actually happened on the day. What's new is the extent of what happened afterwards, the number of statements that had been modified before submission to the original inquiry, and all that stuff.

There's little or no new evidence in respect of what actually happened on the day. What's new is the extent of what happened afterwards, the number of statements that had been modified before submission to the original inquiry, and all that stuff.

Have they released the "new old" witness statements, which were amended?

Or just admitted that however many of those in circulation aren't to be relied upon?

Have they released the "new old" witness statements, which were amended?

Or just admitted that however many of those in circulation aren't to be relied upon?

They have, but it takes ages to trawl through to find anything interesting. Easier just to read the summary.

I've already quoted Kenny Dalglish's reptilic comments on Heysel.

"A p***k of a man" is being very very generous to him.

And that's not even taking into account his behaviour last season.

Would certainly give him a gong for services to comedy. Liverpool last season was almost as good as the year Newcastle went down.

As I said, you will have to search far and wide to find Liverpool fans who blame, umm, Liverpool fans, for Heysel. A disaster which was primarily caused by Liverpool fans' behaviour.

That says an awful lot.

Search far and wide? Behave. You're talking to one. Every single person who provoked or took part in the violence there is to blame and should be held accountable for their own actions. Far more than the 14 that were convicted, obviously.

Again, please do point me to any idiots who denied any Liverpool fans responsible should have been brough to justice. I'd hate to think such an opinion went unchallenged.

The ludicrous claim here was that calls from Liverpool fans for justice are hollow because of what other Liverpool fans did or said about Heysel.

Again, please do point me to any idiots who denied any Liverpool fans responsible should have been brough to justice.

You seem to keep repeating this line, as if it were the most important point. It isn't.

You can quite easily believe the Liverpool fans responsible should be brought to justice, whilst also Dalglishing the situation with a scattergun of blame.

The ludicrous claim here was that calls from Liverpool fans for justice are hollow because of what other Liverpool fans did or said about Heysel.

No, it isn't. It's absolutely correct, otherwise these people are hypocrits.

You seem to keep repeating this line, as if it were the most important point. It isn't.

Repeated it once. It clearly wasn't the most important point. Consider it closed.

You can quite easily believe the Liverpool fans responsible should be brought to justice, whilst also Dalglishing the situation with a scattergun of blame.

No scattergun required. Target those responsible.

And learn the lessons, some of which did happen. Starting with, prevent those convicted from travelling to future games.

The accounts of the witnesses had to be considered, to learn those lessons, and innocent people who were in that stadium did want questions answered about why they were put in that situation.

No, it isn't. It's absolutely correct, otherwise these people are hypocrits.

Just have to leave it at that then, we disagree. I don't see the 'fanbase' as being a unit, where the views of some reflect on others. I'd be offended to be associated with the views of some of them, and I don't feel any personal link to their views. If that leaves me open to being included in your definition of a hypocrit, so be it. And then we can get back on topic.

Just have to leave it at that then, we disagree. I don't see the 'fanbase' as being a unit, where the views of some reflect on others.

Yeah, now that's fair enough. I don't have a problem with that - it's a tricky one. I wouldn't like to be grouped with any fanbase.

I just don't get why people defend their own fans for things they would criticise others for.

I've stood in the end that it all happened in Sheffield Wednesday v Newcastle, would have been around 83-84 and it was fucking scary in that paddock and indeed brutally policed. Battoned, punched and bitten by police dogs all par for the course. Hillsboro was only a matter of time, it was no suprise to me when it happened

The Policing across the board in the 80s was shambolic. You were kept in for at least half an hour after the game. An hour at Stoke's old Victoria Ground was my record . That gave the trouble makers even more time to get to the outskirts of the town or city to brick your supporters bus or kick it all off on the local railway station platform. Police at Stoke just used to turn a blind eye when they came and took a pop at you.

A lot of the time you were marched to the local railway station even if you didn't want to go there or where the buses were being staged.

Like you say seen guys bitten by Police dogs and my mate was bitten by a Police Horse at Everton once. He was just standing minding his own business whilst the mounties were reincarnating the Battle of Orgreave coke works during the miners strike.

Dare say anything to the Police you were gave a straight choice, batton or a night in the jail.

Looking back it was unbelievable back then.

I don't get to many games in England now but it seems more like a military operation after the game now.

The Policing across the board in the 80s was shambolic. You were kept in for at least half an hour after the game. An hour at Stoke's old Victoria Ground was my record . That gave the trouble makers even more time to get to the outskirts of the town or city to brick your supporters bus or kick it all off on the local railway station platform. Police at Stoke just used to turn a blind eye when they came and took a pop at you.

A lot of the time you were marched to the local railway station even if you didn't want to go there or where the buses were being staged.

Like you say seen guys bitten by Police dogs and my mate was bitten by a Police Horse at Everton once. He was just standing minding his own business whilst the mounties were reincarnating the Battle of Orgreave coke works during the miners strike.

Dare say anything to the Police you were gave a straight choice, batton or a night in the jail.

Looking back it was unbelievable back then.

I don't get to many games in England now but it seems more like a military operation after the game now.

But still I say ohhhhh happy days ha ha ha. After that Hillsboro game we were herded onto a 'soccer special' at a nearer station and the locals pelted it tae f**k with stones on the way out of Sheffield, cold trip home that day lol. It wasn't uncommon to arrive at a game by a certain mode of transport and go home in another lol. The polis just didnt care

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11669/8104771/Managers-praise-the-majority

However, some time after the final whistle, when most of the Liverpool fans had left, a couple of home supporters ran across the main stand to the far corner, where the visiting contingent remained on police orders, and started making aeroplane signals.

It was an obvious reference to the Munich air disaster in 1958, in which eight United players were amongst 21 people who lost their lives.

Wish i could say i was shocked :rolleyes:

It's going to be interesting to see what the clubs do now that the media are actually reporting this chanting.

I didn't see or hear anything today other than the 'where's your famous Munich songs' from a sizeable proportion of the away end about 10 minutes in. But these 2 imbeciles who have supposedly ran on the park is incredible. I'm not convinced one bit unfortunately that the same sizeable proportion won't be chanting about Munich as usual when we go there in January.