Hillsborough debate

Desert Nomad

Probably. I was going to suggest he checks any EPL/Liverpool match thread, but it's more fun watching him humiliate himself. I think you offended him be failing to show the appropriate gratitude for his wee flag upload laugh.gif

I'd forgotten about Graham Kelly actually until you mentioned it there. Duckenfield however receives the lion's share of the blame for all this. These appear to be the Police's main players re Hillsborough. Two of them are dead, one was nothing more than a mouthpiece/lackey, which really only leaves 75 year old Duckenfield to face the music from the Police side of things. The chances are that any enquiry will take ages, then be followed (presumably) by a court case. He'll have croaked before anything happens unfortunately.

Peter Wright, ex-chief constable South Yorkshire Police. Orchestrated police attempts to blame fans. Resignation initially rejected, but quit in 1990. Died 2011, aged 82.

David Duckenfield, ex-chief superintendent SYP. Lied to senior officers, blaming drunken, violent supporters. Retired, aged 55, in 1992 having avoided disciplinary action for neglect of duty. No verdict was given in manslaughter case brought by families in 2000.

Bernard Murray, ex-Superintendent SYP. Escaped disciplinary action following Duckenfield�s retirement. Acquitted of manslaughter charges brought by families in 2000. Died in 2006.

Paul Middup, ex-SYP Police Federation Secretary. Was part of the briefing process to White�s News agency in Sheffield, wrongly blaming supporters for the tragedy. Clearly felt he was acting on the authority of the Chief Constable.

There's the post you were alluding to earlier Jupe. That was not a good experience going back through this thread. That Celtic fan who thought I was a troll because I didn't like his picture I had totally forgotten about.

There's the post you were alluding to earlier Jupe. That was not a good experience going back through this thread. That Celtic fan who thought I was a troll because I didn't like his picture I had totally forgotten about.

I'd forgotten about that guy as well. A totally surreal series of posts. He was an absolute mentalist.

Even after this verdict there were morons shouting about a 'political' verdict and that Liverpool fans were still to blame. Gone extremely quiet now.

There were always going to be some who would not be happy about the verdict no matter which way it went.

I don't think anyone is in the position to comment fully as they have not listened to and seen the full evidence.

That being said if there are criminal proceedings then they have to follow the same process of natural justice - any conviction must be on the basis of the evidence available.

They did have a P.A. I read somewhere that Kenny Dalglish used it to announce the game was abandoned. Why it wasn't used before that to announce what was going on is just another example of the total failure of the response.

In fact the PA wasn't working-Kenny Dalglish had to go into the DJ's area to use the system there to appeal for calm.

If anyone is interested and missed it, here's the programme shown the other week:

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...
58 minutes ago, JamieStevenson said:

I might have felt a little sympathy for him if he hadn't gone out of his way to blame the fans for what happened on that awful, tragic day.

The mistakes and misjudgments were one thing but to blame the fans for what happened was unforgivable. I don't know how the despicable c**t can live with himself after his actions.

This must surely be the end of going after Duckenfield, 3 separate juries have failed to convict him in court. The crown are not going to authorise another trial and it's got to the point he can't have a fair trial and to be honest cannot have that much longer to live anyway.

There were numerous failures that led to the loss of life that day and thankfully nothing like this has happened since. I can't begin to understand what the berived have gone through for 30 years but it must come to a point where there is nothing more can be achieved.

I am really ignorant of Hillsborough.

Was it not fairly common for loads of folk to climb in to games?

why was there so many folk in the stand?

how can these thing be pinned on anyone in particular?

1 hour ago, Busta Nut said:

Capacity in standing areas used to be much higher.

The Leppings Lane terrace consisted of a series of penned areas to reduce crowd trouble. Most Liverpool fans being unfamiliar with the layout headed for the central pens which rapidly overcrowded.  The pens at the sides of the terrace were relatively sparsely populated.  The more fans that piled in, the worse the crush in the central pens became.

Capacity in standing areas used to be much higher.
The Leppings Lane terrace consisted of a series of penned areas to reduce crowd trouble. Most Liverpool fans being unfamiliar with the layout headed for the central pens which rapidly overcrowded.  The pens at the sides of the terrace were relatively sparsely populated.  The more fans that piled in, the worse the crush in the central pens became.

Also, the government and police treated football fans as a menace to public order rather than as citizens they had a duty of care to and the stadia were crumbling and unsafe.

I can't recommend the recent documentary enough - I think it's just called Hillsborough.

You'll be brimming with anger at how the authorities treated football fans at that time. Major errors were made but the reason people have no sympathy for the old b*****d (and others in a similar position like Kelvin Mackenzie) was how they responded the night of the disaster - when they created cover stories and lies to blame the fans themselves.

Some idiots still fall for these lies and like to blame the fans.

16 hours ago, Busta Nut said:

Earlier in the century it was still common for people to try to climb into grounds at big games or lift kids over turnstiles... Not really by 1980s AFAIA (partly as security had been ramped-up).

This was an all-ticket match and it isn't thought meaningful numbers of ticketless fans tried to gate crash. It was an FA Cup SF (not played at Wembley in those days) so Liverpool and Nottingham Forest each had 2 stands.

Basically facilities were outdated and crowd management techniques crude to non existent. That end of Hillsborough was poorly designed with insufficient turnstiles, signage, layout etc. Liverpool had almost 25,000 tickets served by 23 turnstiles but within this the 10,000 capacity terracing only had 7 turnstiles. Both of their stands were also accessed from the same street.

Side stand was all-seater and end stand was 2-tiered with seating above and terracing below... Due to hooliganism which had developed since 1970s the terracing was fenced along the front and divided into 4 pens (this happened across the country to stop fighting and pitch invasions).

As kickoff approached a crush developed outside the turnstiles (but not due to rioting nor large numbers of fans without tickets trying to gate crash). Some didn't arrive until shortly before kickoff, others had been held-up by roadworks and with 2 separate but adjacent turnstile blocks - 1 of which had some stiles allocated to the side stand and some to the end stand upper tier - many went to the wrong bit for their own ticket and had to turn back. Fearing a disaster outside, some exit gates were opened to alleviate the crush.

Being unfamiliar with the ground most fans made for the central corridor under the seating deck. Both centre pens became overcrowded (but the overall terrace was still below capacity: the side pens were sparsely populated). As people at the back tried to get in, those at the front were crushed against the fencing and could not escape, because - being designed to stop pitch invasions - it was high and 'caged' with few exit gates and roll-over top.

Tragically almost 100 people died while over 700 received injuries. Some might have been saved but the ambulance service response to the disaster was also mishandled.

Edited by HibeeJibee

Going after Duckenfield was flawed IMHO - there has always been a shared responsibility for the events that day - the problem is that has not really ever been acknowledged - with buck-passing, scapegoating and pointing the finger being the flavour of the day.

The blame I think doesn't solely lie with Duckenfield but lies with bad stadium design, bad planning, police behaviour and football authorities who were still living in the dark ages.

Getting them to recognise their collective responsibility is the real issue.