Jordan Rhodes

~~~

• Replies 830
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Got to say, agree with Shawfield, even if he ruined it by saying simples at the end :P . International Class is a bit of a cliche thrown around, but it does exist. It just means that certain players will not be good enough to go up against the best players from another country. Djemba's statement of "you pick your best players and that's it". Well, yeah, you do, but if you're San Marino you'll no doubt pick your best available players, but you're still going to get pumped more often than not. They're not good enough for international football, so they're not *shudder* "International Class".

Shawfield's pretty accurate in what he says, especially the numbers of these types of players in your squad. I'd say - and I expect to be shot down for it - we have two. Darren Fletcher and Allan McGregor. Shagger only makes it in as he's a keeper, and a very solid one. There are better out there, but he's comfortably a good keeper for the level we're at. Fletcher has played in massive games, and would have had a Champions League final appearance if he hadn't been suspended against Chelsea (did he play in either against Barca? I can't remember). He's easily included, but I'm struggling to find any more. We're a "sum-of-our-parts" nation. Sometimes.

Every single player we have who plays in the BPL is international class in my opinion. Only the top players can play in that league. Broony, Mulgrew and Forrest are all capable at the top level to from there Champions League experience. There is very little difference on the whole in international football in my opinion, you have the elite teams, 10 or so with the top players and squads, the higher end middle of the road teams, ourselves, Ireland, Denmark, Norway etc, the lower end middle of the road teams, Macedonia, Lithuania, Latvia etc, then the complete minnows, San Marino etc etc. Just my opinion though. Like if we were to get drawn against any side apart from the elite ones I would fancy our chances.

I didn't say it was, or ask if you agreed. That's a tremendous front 3 with balance and quality. This place tires me out, debating with children who have no clue is very draining.

I know this twat is banned, but is mr 'I hate mourinho, you must want to bum him if you dont' really calling other posters clueless children??

Every single player we have who plays in the BPL is international class in my opinion. Only the top players can play in that league.

:lol:

There is some absolute shite playing every week in the English Premier League. Don Cowie plays regularly for Cardiff - is he "international class" or a "top player"?

Someone take Lichtie's tonic wine off him please. Foreamus is probably about correct in his assessment of the current Scotland side. Yes we may have a few more than we used to in the EPL, but with the exception of Darren Fletcher they are all middle-lower rung operators. Same as plenty other countries. So it balances out that we're still pretty average......fwiw, of the last decade, imo weve only had a handful of international class players......Gordon, Ferguson, D Fletcher and probably Miller, as he'd have excelled in a half decent team instead of dragging a shower of uninterested peckers through games for years, McFadden and Hartley.

:lol:

There is some absolute shite playing every week in the English Premier League. Don Cowie plays regularly for Cardiff - is he "international class" or a "top player"?

No, but he can take a game for Scotland and wouldn't look out of place, what about the other European players playing for Cardiff? Don Cowie could do a job for Scotland as he does a job for Cardiff in the best league in the world, off your high horse.

And what exactly would you define as international class, cause there is some absolute shite playing at international level too then surely? If you can play in the BPL you can take a game at international level. Like most players in the Premier League do.

Every single player we have who plays in the BPL is international class in my opinion. Only the top players can play in that league.

Stephen Dobbie played one game for Palace before going out on loan.

Are you saying he is International Class?

ETA:Posted at the same time as the back tracking response above.

I obviously mean players we have in the team.

So your argument is that players picked for the squad are good enough to be picked for the squad?

No, but he can take a game for Scotland and wouldn't look out of place, what about the other European players playing for Cardiff? Don Cowie could do a job for Scotland as he does a job for Cardiff in the best league in the world, off your high horse.

McNaughton is starting to get more games there to.Dorrans is out the picture so there is bound to be room for Cowie in the next squad,can see it happening.

I mean the vast majority of BPL players are all internationals. And if you play against them week in week out then surely you are of a standard to play for Scotland? I mean his team just won away to a team with off the top of my head, 3 French internationals, 1 of Ivory Coasts best players, a Dutch international, Frances fullback, Italy's fullback and Argentinas centre half? How can you not say he is of a standard to play international football?

I hate the term 'international class'. It's meaningless. If you're one of the best players from your country in a position, then you're good enough to play for them. Where do we set the barometer of what constitutes international class? If you're the best San Marinese centre back you're clearly good enough to play for San Marino, but should you be ignored because the majority of international strikers will take the piss out of you and you're not 'international class'?

I also hate the argument of 'He plays in X League, therefore he's good enough for Scotland.' Simply playing in a league doesn't prove anything; playing well in a league proves something. Richard Hughes and Steven Caldwell regularly appeared in the papers years back spouting this pish about how they played in English Premier League therefore should have been Scotland regulars. No, you're shit and there are much better players than you available for Scotland, therefore you're not getting in the squad regardless of which league you play in.

Archived