Jordan Rhodes

~~~

You'd wager? Good to see guesswork is in your armoury alongside speculation

And on the second highlight - 'probably'? I can see that the climbdown has begun. A post ago it was 'never'.

Jeez. Are you wanting me to predict the future with 100% certainty? Rhodes could go on and play for Real Madrid and win the Balon D'or for all i know. Anything is possible in football and in life.

Unfortunately, we can't do that. What we can do is use available evidence and past precedent to make an educated guess on how players careers will pan out. All evidence and precedent points to Rhodes being an average Championship or lower EPL player. A Mackail-Smith or a Grant Holt kind of player. He's a good pro and a smart lad, he'll make a good wedge out the game. However, this is a tartan army section. Unfortunately, all available evidence points to him never making the grade at international level.

That would be the West Brom who are 8th, last season finished 10th and the season before finished 11th on goal difference, and are therefore, consistently a top-half team?

Norwich are 12th, on goal difference, and last season had the same points as the team finishing 10th, therefore are/were just off being a top-half team two years in a row.

Talk about missing the point :lol:

• Replies 830
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Still digging that hole? I asked why he had never played for a top club. You said something about age and Rangers. Which has been promptly thrown out by him leaving Rangers for a second time at 31 and going to.... Birmingham City.

So, were all the top EPL managers and scouts wrong about him, or are you? I know who's football judgement i trust more.

What?

And what exactly are you talking about?

Jeez. Are you wanting me to predict the future with 100% certainty? Rhodes could go on and play for Real Madrid and win the Balon D'or for all i know. Anything is possible in football and in life.

Unfortunately, we can't do that. What we can do is use available evidence and past precedent to make an educated guess on how players careers will pan out. All evidence and precedent points to Rhodes being an average Championship or lower EPL player. A Mackail-Smith or a Grant Holt kind of player. He's a good pro and a smart lad, he'll make a good wedge out the game. However, this is a tartan army section. Unfortunately, all available evidence points to him never making the grade at international level.

Talk about missing the point :lol:

Explain how I 'missed the point'.

And there we have it. It will take a fair bit of effort for Rhodes to push on and become an EPL and international goal-getter, but to assert that he can't do it (as if he's already tried and failed) is utter piffle.

Don't worry Mr Brightside you are absolutely correct. Barry and Parker can only dream about having the composure or passing range of Barry Ferguson.

Vastly underappreciated player.

Is he better than Dorrans though PB?

Aye so... Jordan rhodes.

Barry ferguson was underrated by a lot of scots fan. He was a cracking player. Was he better than barry or parker? Probably not. But he was probably scotlands most important player and a lot of tartan army fans couldnt handle it.

And there we have it. It will take a fair bit of effort for Rhodes to push on and become an EPL and international goal-getter, but to assert that he can't do it (as if he's already tried and failed) is utter piffle.

It will take more than a fair bit of effort to be fair. He will need to improve his all round game dramatically, which at 23 isn't easy. Leigh Griffiths is a more exciting natural talent than Rhodes IMO, if he sorts his head ( huge if ) then i think he will go on to have the better career out the two.

It will take more than a fair bit of effort to be fair. He will need to improve his all round game dramatically, which at 23 isn't easy. Leigh Griffiths is a more exciting natural talent than Rhodes IMO, if he sorts his head ( huge if ) then i think he will go on to have the better career out the two.

Huge head too!

Griffiths is a cracking talent, but he's a different sort of player than Rhodes - more of an allrounder with a turn of pace and the ability to do the unexpected.

Rhodes is a pretty direct, almost old fashioned striker. The poacher label is unfair as it suggests he hangs about on the six yard line and does f all running, which certainly isn't true. I'm a realist and I doubt Rhodes will be leading the line for Man U this time next year (as stated elsewhere, burly and athletic forwards are favoured by the top clubs in the EPL), but I also believe that you could put him in a team at any level and he would lead the line well and score (yes, that's unsubstantiated and based only on what I've seen of him).

PS, I've got nowt against Steven Fletcher, but I don't have as much hope for him as you do. He's done okay in the EPL, but has been a perennial relegation dogfighter. 10-12 goals a season is decent though, but no more. For Scotland, he's been patchy and never really looked like the answer for us (yet anyway).

I do wonder if we're p1ssing in the wind trying to find the ideal lone frontman, when perhaps a pairing (not 4-4-2, but 1 deep lying and looking for knock ons) might be the answer. I see Rhodes and Fletcher having potential in such a setup.

^^^ saw that aswell, can't see Hull shelling out 10million for Rhodes when Charlie Austin will cost 4. Could do with a promotion season at Blackburn next year, if not a high scoring first half of the season warranting a prem move in January.

What's Hull's record signing, the £5m Brown set on fire in exchange for Jimmy Bullard?

According to Wikipedia, yes.

Saw that Blackburn have put a £15m price tag on Rhodes' head today, supposedly to ward off West Brom and Hull. Nobody would pay this, but reading between the lines I think this means they would be tempted by £12m (Not sure if Blackburn have actually paid Huddersfields £8m, or if £Xm is tied up in some promotion condition?).

£12m is still a massive outlay for most clubs, so it'd take a bit of a leap of faith for a club to offer it.

My hope is that Newcastle or Tottenham come in for him or he stays put. Hull or Norwich would be sideways moves.

Saw that Blackburn have put a £15m price tag on Rhodes' head today, supposedly to ward off West Brom and Hull. Nobody would pay this, but reading between the lines I think this means they would be tempted by £12m (Not sure if Blackburn have actually paid Huddersfields £8m, or if £Xm is tied up in some promotion condition?).

£12m is still a massive outlay for most clubs, so it'd take a bit of a leap of faith for a club to offer it.

My hope is that Newcastle or Tottenham come in for him or he stays put. Hull or Norwich would be sideways moves.

Jeez! Scotland with a £30m striking duo. Laughed off the planet for suggesting that during levein reign.

If the top clubs thought he was good enough, they'd pay it. Man United paid 17 million for Zaha for example, who had never played outside the Championship.

Barry Ferguson was a very good player. Underrated by a lot of Scots for no good reason whatsoever. Some of the shite Lex has come out with has been shocking. Barry Ferguson played very well for Blackburn when he played. Which was whenever he was fit.

There's nothing to suggest that Jordan Rhodes can't do the business at a higher level. Lesser players at Championship level have gone on and done it. Guys like Holt and Lambert. So why can't Rhodes?

Barry Ferguson was a very good player. Underrated by a lot of Scots for no good reason whatsoever. Some of the shite Lex has come out with has been shocking. Barry Ferguson played very well for Blackburn when he played. Which was whenever he was fit.

You're a week late with this rubbish. Maybe you can tell me why all the big clubs never signed Barry Ferguson though? Because no one else can.

There's nothing to suggest that Jordan Rhodes can't do the business at a higher level. Lesser players at Championship level have gone on and done it. Guys like Holt and Lambert. So why can't Rhodes?

I love this line of thinking, it's becoming common place. Holt and Lambert, Holt and Lambert, HOLT AND LAMBERT!! Two guys yeah. Why don't we list the 200 Championship strikers who haven't made it in the EPL?

True, but it's just possible that they're missing a trick here, no?

Maybe. Maybe all the top scouts and managers are wrong about Rhodes. The tartan army is right and these guys are all wrong! Just like they were wrong about Ferguson...? :lol:

Archived