Jordan Rhodes

~~~

Pity he's fked for the rest of the season..

Rhodes as a lone striker at this level is not a question of him but more a question of who put him there in the first place. Simply asking far to much of the young international. He was never gonna thrive in these circumstances, dodgy pitch and scrappy game. The lad was hung out to dry..

Lets scrap the ole guard an bleed the deserved in, who actually have an impact on the game and not through reputation.

Agree re Rhodes. He can play the lone striker role and play it well. But Steven Fletcher, or almost any other good striker would have had a quiet game up front alone for Scotland the other night. Strachan said it himself, it's important not to isolate the one up front, and that's exactly what happened. Indeed, that's been the cause of Scotland's dearth of goals for the last few years.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 830
  • Created
  • Last Reply

See Rhodes' lobbed goal today? Sweet.

If he scores next week that's 30 goals in hs first championship season.

I know there was much anger and many jerky knees after the serbia game, but does anyone seriously doubt this guy as our goal-getter for the forseeable future?

Fletcher is good, but a different type of forward. If we could find an effective system that drew the best from both I would be a happy man.

Fletcher behind Rhodes has mileage. I know we tried it vs Estonia for 30 mins or so, but I reckon it's worth trying again.

Ps. Is our next friendly vs england?

All our games are friendlies I believe Croatia are dishing out the next raping

Sadly, I think you're right. 3-0 Croatia or something equally convincing for them.

Sadly, I think you're right. 3-0 Croatia or something equally convincing for them.

Yeah, it will be a defeat, and it will be Croatia X-0 Scotland. What kind of mess will the players be in mentally going into the England match...

Yeah, it will be a defeat, and it will be Croatia X-0 Scotland. What kind of mess will the players be in mentally going into the England match...

Scotland's scoring record away from home is appalling. Backing the home win and Scotland not to score will make you a fortune!

This is a really good and simple summation of Fletcher. He is a decent player and among the most important in the current national team when healthy, but the guy is not among the top 100 midfielders in the world.

As for the claim that Scotland fans didn't expect too much of him, what can one say against such reckless absurdity?

Name 100 better midfielders than Darren Fletcher.

Mark McGhee pretty much said last night on the radio that Rhodes won't be playing if we play one up front in games. Our philosophy of football is so backwards and arcane. He and so many others still insist that he's some sort of naive youth player, despite being 23, his team's top goal scorer this season (28 so far), his league's 2nd top goal scorer so far and his team's player of the season.

But no, let's play Kenny Miller because he comes across from America and works hard. That was basically the basis of McGhee's argument for continuing to select Miller. Other countries, those who are forward thinking in their footballing philosophy and how they play the game, would have long ago thanked Miller and stopped selecting him.

If it boils down to it, and Rhodes doesn't get played, if I were him, I'd tell the management to stick it up their arse tbh. Best striker from your country and don't even get a game? Some might say that would be a crass and naive thing to do, but how would you put up being treated like that? Also, I don't know where the 'Steven Fletcher is our best striker' argument comes from, he has never done anything special anytime I've seen him play and has been disappointingly average.

At the end of the day, one player isn't going to change Scotland's fortunes, though. If you look at the rest of our squad, our defence is shockingly abysmal and our midfield is quite average compared to most forward-thinking, innovative national football associations. It's quite sad when we can't train our youths up from the grass-roots in their own country and develop them into 21st century, talented footballers and instead choose English-born players who have a great, great Granny from Edinburgh and must think: "f**k it, if I've realistically no chance getting called up for England I'll just get a few caps for Scotland and make my CV look good for future reference."

The 'punching above our weight' argument is a load of bollocks too. Look at Montenegro, top of their respective qualifying group and have produced genuine world class players like Stevan Jovetic and Mirko Vucinic.

This country needs a massive shake up throughout its whole footballing system and only then might we produce Scottish players good enough to challenge for a place at a national competition.

How long did he sign at Blackburn for? Can't really see their situation improving anytime soon. He needs out of there.

If it boils down to it, and Rhodes doesn't get played, if I were him, I'd tell the management to stick it up their arse tbh. Best striker from your country and don't even get a game? Some might say that would be a crass and naive thing to do, but how would you put up being treated like that? Also, I don't know where the 'Steven Fletcher is our best striker' argument comes from, he has never done anything special anytime I've seen him play and has been disappointingly average.

At the end of the day, one player isn't going to change Scotland's fortunes, though. If you look at the rest of our squad, our defence is shockingly abysmal and our midfield is quite average compared to most forward-thinking, innovative national football associations. It's quite sad when we can't train our youths up from the grass-roots in their own country and develop them into 21st century, talented footballers and instead choose English-born players who have a great, great Granny from Edinburgh and must think: "f**k it, if I've realistically no chance getting called up for England I'll just get a few caps for Scotland and make my CV look good for future reference."

The 'punching above our weight' argument is a load of bollocks too. Look at Montenegro, top of their respective qualifying group and have produced genuine world class players like Stevan Jovetic and Mirko Vucinic.

This country needs a massive shake up throughout its whole footballing system and only then might we produce Scottish players good enough to challenge for a place at a national competition.

Wow. Nothing like a bit of hyperbole. Steven Fletcher has never done anything special "anytime [you] have seen him". So what? How often do you see Rhodes - who happens to have no Scottish blood whatsoever, incidentally, if that is your criteria for deciding somebody's footballing nationality.

Shockingly abysmal? As opposed to what? What does it matter where a player is born? Nobody qualifies on the "great, great-granny" rule (Jordan Rhodes can't even claim that much), but even if they did, that wouldn't be necessarily be a bad thing. You can't on one hand decry the system and then criticise the SFA for picking players from outside the system. And what CV do footballers have? You'll need to explain that particular cliche to me.

Look, Scotland are shit. We probably always will be, at least in our life time. We have almost talent in the system, as you say, and we insist on picking moronic Scottish coaches for the national team.

30/06/2017 So blackburn can ask for what they want really. Doubt there would have been a relegation release clause in there. Blackburns hopes were for promotion.

Blackburn won't be getting relegated anyway, so I'm not sure why that's important.

30/06/2017 So blackburn can ask for what they want really. Doubt there would have been a relegation release clause in there. Blackburns hopes were for promotion.

There will be a PL club desperate enough on deadline day to put in a £10m+ bid, but from there anything could happen. Blackburn are such a strange club right now.

I'm sure I heard on SSN that Rhodes would be staying at Blackburn next season. And I think it would be wise for him to continue to grow. Players like Holt and Lambert show that taking your time developing in the lower leagues will serve you better when you're in the EPL. Rhodes will be in the Premiership in the next 3 years

Archived