Jordan Rhodes

~~~

Yes, Craig Levein is hopeless, we've noticed. His lack of faith in Jordan Rhodes was inexcusably stupid. Much like his continued faith in a now past-it Kenny Miller. But Avril has gone & there's no way that Rhodes won't be there as an important player for the next coach. No way.

Quite.

I do however feel Miller some of the abuse Miller has taken is over the top.

Clearly Rhodes/Fletcher should have been playing in these games, but that's not Kennys fault. He's taken flights back from Canada, Turkey involving multiple flights to make games, I've a huge amount of respect for him for this reason alone. Remember he did score against Macedonia, bagged a world class goal against Cyprus few months prior, and against the Czechs (deciding game) he scored and set up fletcher brilliantly. Spain at home for Naismith was another excellent assist.

His Scoring record for Scotland isn't great, and I agree he's down the pecking order ( I wouldn't pick him) , but Kenny has been an excellent servant for Scotland and has produced some memorable performances. Italy at home being his finest in dark blue.

• Replies 830
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love Kenny Miller for everything he has done for Scotland but he is getting on and we have better options now. A 34 year old striker who can't score goals in the MLS doesn't need to be doing 13,000 mile round trips at this stage either.

Hard to believe how little faith Levein had in him. He just keeps on getting better in front of goal and I think he'll be in the Premiership within a couple of years either way and doing a half decent job for a mid-table side.

Hard to believe how little faith Levein had in him. He just keeps on getting better in front of goal and I think he'll be in the Premiership within a couple of years either way and doing a half decent job for a mid-table side.

That's not the most ambitious outlook.

• 2 weeks later...

Levein's single, solitary criterion as regards player worth is loyalty. Just like Hitler. That neatly explains everything about Scotland's striker situation.

Are you saying Craig Levein would have sent Dougie Freedman to a concentration camp rather than cap him?

• 3 months later...

Not quite the Messiah he's been made out to be, then. Held the ball up well at times, but shy with the head and we couldn't hit passes into space for him. Shocking execution of his only chance.

Miller Mark II? Miller back as our first choice?

Horrendous performance. Looks a different player for Blackburn. Bottled his big chance anyway and refuses to try and header any cross in the box

He hasn't got it at international level unfortunately. The next Craig Mackail-Smith.

Unfair comment. Most strikers would look a lot worse when stuck in that team.

You can't write a player off after one quiet game.

Off course you can - those last 90 minutes and single chance completely wipe out his last four years of near constant marksmanship and generally excellent striker's play....

His knock downs and hold up play was sound. He was starved of possession though. We had few crosses of genuine quality tonight and I would have thought that was a must with Rhodes in the centre - far too much cutting inside.

The backing out of headers thing was a wee bit strange. He is normally not shy at all to score with his head - indeed he is usually excellent in that dept.

His snatch at the chance was admittedly poor - he did the same in the Luxembourg game, snatched at the first chance then scored two shortly after. All in all, 5/10. But did any player of the front three deserve more than that? Perhaps Geroge Boyd 5.5, arguable though.

Overall though, anyone who writes Rhodes off after this game is a fucking moron of the highest order. I applaud them for entertaining me with their ignorance.

Jordan Rhodes needs to be ditched because he missed one chance?

What about ditching guys that have continually failed for 3 campaigns?

I don't necessarily think Jordan Rhodes should be a stick on first choice but he's hardly the problem here.

Archived