Jordan Rhodes

~~~

Why does he feel the need to talk down a potential star of our team instead of talking him up, which he easily could have done?

... because he's adopted a position - "Miller is the striker, Rhodes is back-up, and I'm not interested in Fletcher" - and as hardly anyone else agrees, he's using his own interviews to attempt to give the stance legitimacy. Regardless of 'collateral damage'.

• Replies 830
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had defended Levein, and even after the two recent games I would've blamed the players just as much as him, but I've got to say, that's it for me.

The Fletcher business is now broken beyond repair - I don't blame Levein entirely, but seems he's now come out and said it's a definite no. Bad move.

And now he actually uses the words "Over-hyped" to describe one of his own players, and one who could end up being one of the few World Class players Scotland has had recently.

Dear me.

It's fairly clear to me that Levein is a bit of a fanny as well as being a not very good manager. Craig Levein has now clearly put his own agenda ahead of that of the Scotland side. Which ultimately means he is not the right man for the job.

Whether you think that Fletcher was in the right or not, it doesn't really matter now. Fact is, it doesn't matter what Fletcher does. It's all about Levein now. And his ego is that much more important.

... because he's adopted a position - "Miller is the striker, Rhodes is back-up, and I'm not interested in Fletcher" - and as hardly anyone else agrees, he's using his own interviews to attempt to give the stance legitimacy. Regardless of 'collateral damage'.

It's not unrealistic that we'll get to the next double header with Rhodes on maybe 8 for the season and Fletcher on half a dozen. Coul he still justify Miller in that scenario?

I had defended Levein, and even after the two recent games I would've blamed the players just as much as him, but I've got to say, that's it for me.

The Fletcher business is now broken beyond repair - I don't blame Levein entirely, but seems he's now come out and said it's a definite no. Bad move.

And now he actually uses the words "Over-hyped" to describe one of his own players, and one who could end up being one of the few World Class players Scotland has had recently.

Dear me.

This. Last straw for me, i was prepared to see how we got on against Wales and Belgium before jumping on the bandwagon but get him to f**k now. Far too stubborn.

Is there anyone out there still with any faith in Levein? Seriously?

Why is it ridiculous? No one is saying that Jordan Rhodes is already some sort of world beater. What people are saying is that a player who is on fire in his domestic league, scoring an absolute hatful of goals last season should clearly be in the team infront of Kenny Miller.

Why is it ridiculous? No one is saying that Jordan Rhodes is already some sort of world beater. What people are saying is that a player who is on fire in his domestic league, scoring an absolute hatful of goals last season should clearly be in the team infront of Kenny Miller.

Craig Mackail Smith scored a hatful of goals in the SAME league as Rhodes.

Didn't see many people clamouring for him to start ahead of Miller.

He's started one game for us in a friendly and scored a nice goal, and all of a sudden he is the golden boy of the tartan army. I can't ever remember Scotland fans chanting for a player to be brought on before, the hype around him just seems way over the top at the moment.

I'm not saying he's not talented, and I hope/think he will become a key player for us in the future.

On paper Craig Mackail-Smith should be the starting striker if you exclude Kenny Miller. And to be honest he's playing brilliantly at the moment. I'd actually rather see him or Mackie play the lone furrow in the away games. Rhodes should start in the home games though as we shouldn't be needing to rely on the striker utilising the wings as much at Hampden.

I always find it interesting nobody makes anything of the fact Snodgrass and McCormack don't get more of a chance in front of the Maloney's of the world

Dear me.

You are kind of making Levein's point for him. There's nothing to say Jordan Rhodes could be a world class player at all. He might, but there's no way to tell now. He is being overhyped, our manager is a muppet, but I think he's not without a point. He worded it dreadfully, I agree though.

Tend to agree with Troll, the way Levein's handled the back up players is more of a problem. Why is McCormack in the squad at all, let alone jumping ahead of MacKail-Smith? Why is Malone jumping ahead of Snodgrass? Why is Phillips not being used?

It is Levein who is putting pressure on Rhodes by giving him only 20 minutes to play in every game, changing the formation in the process. You're lucky if Scotland create one good chance in that time so Rhodes is being asked to take the opportunity, when coming off the bench and into an unfamiliar atmosphere. Completely unreasonable. Start him or don't pick him at all Craig.

It is Levein who is putting pressure on Rhodes by giving him only 20 minutes to play in every game, changing the formation in the process. You're lucky if Scotland create one good chance in that time so Rhodes is being asked to take the opportunity, when coming off the bench and into an unfamiliar atmosphere. Completely unreasonable. Start him or don't pick him at all Craig.

I agree with this completely. I think it's much worse to get 20 mins at the end than no time at all.

Play the guy. He seems a very level headed guy, and quite bright. I doubt very much he is going to go into a self-confidence spira by not scoring for Scotland in a couple of internationals.

Just play him you scruffy mess.

Hype or not with Rhodes we have plenty of evidence that Miller when presented with a vital chance in a vital game tends not to score. Rhodes had so far scored everytime he has been asked to take a step up and frankly I dont think its overhyping to point out his goal scoring record...its just well stating facts! Does anyone really think Miller would have the same record at the same level? Much as Miller has grafted for the team I'd rather see us playing the guy who might well score ahead of the guy who probably wont. Tbf to Rhodes despite leveins frankly disgraceful comments he seems like the guy least likely to worry about pressure or hype in the entire squad apart from Darren Fletcher.

You are kind of making Levein's point for him. There's nothing to say Jordan Rhodes could be a world class player at all. He might, but there's no way to tell now. He is being overhyped, our manager is a muppet, but I think he's not without a point. He worded it dreadfully, I agree though.

Tend to agree with Troll, the way Levein's handled the back up players is more of a problem. Why is McCormack in the squad at all, let alone jumping ahead of MacKail-Smith? Why is Malone jumping ahead of Snodgrass? Why is Phillips not being used?

Yeah, I kind of see your point. I would agree that it was just a stupendously poor choice of words. Overhyped is a phrase you would maybe use in a press conference to try and mind-game an opposition player, not someone who may turn out to be extremely important for the side. It also becomes galling when he claims "the boy's too young" when he has younger players starting elsewhere. If Rhodes was a precocious young talent who seemed a bit rough around the edges, I'd see his point, but he seems to have his head well and truly screwed on right. He may play against weaker opposition, but his football mind and movement will be the same every game. Defences will be better equipped to deal with him obviously at international level, but if he had one good chance to score, I'd trust him to take it. Would you trust Miller in those same circumstances? Not now you wouldn't.

Rhodes represents hope to Scotland fans. We've toiled away with Miller for ages now, and it's predictable, boring and proven to be completely ineffective. Rhodes represents something new, fresh and different. We may as well give it a shot as we can't fall that much further.

Rhodes represents hope to Scotland fans. We've toiled away with Miller for ages now, and it's predictable, boring and proven to be completely ineffective. Rhodes represents something new, fresh and different. We may as well give it a shot as we can't fall that much further.

It's a shame that Levein doesn't realise this. Well, infact, he probably does. But he's now so petty that this will probably make him want to use him even less. Because on top of being a not very good manager, he's also a twat.

Archived