The Wire

BradHorse

Got the box set for Christmas, but haven't got round to watching it yet.

Is it really as good as everyone says?

It's better. Best television series ever. Even Boardwalk Empire pales in comparison. I honestly think they should stop making TV now. Well, no, I don't, but you get the point.

Struggling with the last seaon like.

Loved up until about 3 episodes into the final season. Everytime I go to stick it on I go for something else. Is it worth persevering with?

If you have formed any kind of attachment with any of the characters, cops or street urchins, the final episode will very much tug at the heart strings.

Felicia "Snopp" Person was an actual criminal and committed a murder before the show, also more alarming that she is infact a she!!

n4ef3027407dab.jpg

Yeah, I only found out when she(mad spoilerz);

Got shot. She asks Mike how her hair looks and he says whatever(looks good or something) "girl"

Is that not her real name as well(whatever she uses in the show)

How the fuck anyone can like Ziggy is beyond me, the man is a fucking cunt.

I found him a complete c**t as well the first time I watched it, but on second viewing I had a kind of sympathy for him. He does some hilarious stuff too.

Omar is the man.

I bloody love The Wire.

How the f**k anyone can like Ziggy is beyond me, the man is a fucking c**t.

I absolutely love him! I just think he's hilarious, pisses about all the time and generally doesn't give a f**k. The juxtaposition with him and the Ben Affleck lookalike is just immense, makes for such a great season.

The Wire is the greatest piece of television that has ever been made, imo. The way that it's done, in its novel-esque fashion has completely ruined all the other smash-you-over-the-head-with-the-plot type shows for me (Lost, Prison Break, Heroes etcetcetc).

I'd just like a wee thread for all The Wire appreciators to come together and bond over the brilliance we've seen and to try and convince the rest of the world to watch it and consequently ruin television forever, for everyone.

Never watched it but think I'll give it a go , one of my favourite shows in recent years is the French cop show Braquo which I've been told is like the wire?

Eta."..wire fans I'm planning on watching this show for the first time do I need to watch it from S1? Or from any season if so which is bests?

Edited by THE KING

Eta."..wire fans I'm planning on watching this show for the first time do I need to watch it from S1? Or from any season if so which is bests?

Watch the whole thing, in order. this is not a "dip in and out" kinda show, is much better suited to the boxset experience

How the f**k anyone can like Ziggy is beyond me, the man is a fucking c**t.

I found him a complete c**t as well the first time I watched it, but on second viewing I had a kind of sympathy for him. He does some hilarious stuff too.

Omar is the man.

I bloody love The Wire.

Season two is really heavy going. There aren't too many examples of good guys. The adventures of Ziggy and the duck was one of the more surreal adventures in the show.

However Bubble is the best character, and the scene in which he is

finally allowed up to have dinner with his sister's family

brought more than just a tear to my eye.

wire460.jpg

Never watched it but think I'll give it a go , one of my favourite shows in recent years is the French cop show Braquo which I've been told is like the wire?

Watch it all the way through, in order, from series 1 episode 1. And have patience. It's quite hard work at first but once you get into it, you can't stop watching. Best. Television show. Ever. By an absolute mile.

I enjoyed the wire, in fact Im sure I watched all 5 series within a month but I think some people tend to go over the top.

Some of the characters are tremendous but I felt some of the storylines slightly weak and/or predictable. I remember thinking that whilst watching it.

Don't get me wrong I would definatly recommend the show, but it wouldn't make my top 5 drama shows.

I really enjoyed Braquo. It had a very strong first season and I can kind of see where their comparisons go wire came from. I would still say the wire is easily better however. What savage henry said there is pretty much spot on.

I enjoyed the wire, in fact Im sure I watched all 5 series within a month but I think some people tend to go over the top.

Some of the characters are tremendous but I felt some of the storylines slightly weak and/or predictable. I remember thinking that whilst watching it.

Don't get me wrong I would definatly recommend the show, but it wouldn't make my top 5 drama shows.

Out of sheer curiosity, what would you put above the Wire in terms of your top 5 Drama?

I really enjoyed Braquo. It had a very strong first season and I can kind of see where their comparisons go wire came from. I would still say the wire is easily better however. What savage henry said there is pretty much spot on.

watched the first 1 last night and found it run of the mill tbh just a typical US cop show with swearing unless the rest of the shows are a drastic improvment on the first I think ill stick to Braquo.

watched the first 1 last night and found it run of the mill tbh just a typical US cop show with swearing unless the rest of the shows are a drastic improvment on the first I think ill stick to Braquo.

I thought the same myself to start with. It wasn't really until season 2 that I really got into it. I watched the 1st season through perseverance more than anything. Although i don't think it is the best tv ever, its certainly rewarding after you get through season 1. Why not watch both? :P

Out of sheer curiosity, what would you put above the Wire in terms of your top 5 Drama?

Off top of my head:

Lost

Boardwalk Empire

Prison Break

Homeland

No particular reason other than I enjoyed all of them more than The Wire. I suppose at the end of the day it all comes down to personal preference. I liked the wire, I just enjoyed other shows I have watched more :)

I've never rolled on the floor and lmaoed before, but some of the suggestions of TV programmes that are better than The Wire are doing that to me - Buffy, Prison Break and 24 being particular highlights.

The only two that come close for me are The Sopranos and Game of Thrones.

Edited by The OP

Off top of my head:

Lost

Boardwalk Empire

Prison Break

Homeland

No particular reason other than I enjoyed all of them more than The Wire. I suppose at the end of the day it all comes down to personal preference. I liked the wire, I just enjoyed other shows I have watched more :)

Cool, I'd give you Homeland and Boardwalk but Lost was never my thing (saw 3 seasons but it never appealed) so I'm not able to judge but 24 imho is nowhere near as good as The Wire the 1st and I think the 3rd or 4th were really strong but the rest of the seasons had more misses than hits and Prison Break went downhill about half way through the 2nd season God only knows how it went as long as it did. Good list of programns though :)

My 5 would be (in no particular order)

The Wire

Homeland

Shield

Boardwalk Empire

Justified