The Wire

BradHorse

Apparently there was talk of continuing the story but just focusing on the politics, it was going to be called The Halls or something like that - never came to fruition though

A wire spin off, unless it followed a charcater to a new city, would just be weird I think, it;s big strength was it's scope, a spin off still set in Baltimore would have limited that.

I just remebered hands down, my favourite Wire scene.

Omar and Bunk - season 3 perhaps - on the bench, talking about the "old days". Brilliant,brilliant,brillaint. Bunk. so often light relief in The Wire was so intense in that scene.

"We had a community"

Edited by banterman86

I could go on all day listing favourite scenes.

The "f**k" scene

Omar going up against Brother Mazone

Anything with Snoop

The photocopier "lie-detector" (common practice according to Simon's book Homicide")

Too many moments of pure genius

I picked up Homicide after seeing the series and there are so many bits they have taken straight out of it and into the Wire. Sitting laughing like a loon at some of the stuff they did. Walking one suspect past the other with a massive bag of McD's to make it look like he was cooperating.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYj7q_by_2E

I picked up Homicide after seeing the series and there are so many bits they have taken straight out of it and into the Wire. Sitting laughing like a loon at some of the stuff they did. Walking one suspect past the other with a massive bag of McD's to make it look like he was cooperating.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYj7q_by_2E

That's a fantastic scene that, I've been telling pretty much anyone who will listen to watch The Wire since I discovered it and I showed my pal a clip of Omar testifying and squaring up against Brother Mouzone and he's since watching it after refusing to for a good while.

The Bunk and Omar scene mentioned above was great too. There's so many scenes like that that after they're done you just take a breath and think 'that was fucking amazing'.

Just finished series 5.

I very much enjoyed the 5th series - much better than the poor season 4 in my opinion. Prob my fav series overall although the second half of series 3 was fcuking quality.

Overall I enjoyed the Wire - had some excellent characters and some very likeable ones - Bubbles, Omar, String, Daniels, Bunk, Clay etc however I thought there was a couple garbage characters as well such as Greggs and Avon.

Thought series 2 and 4 were rubbish. Series 1 and 3(first half) were ok. Series 5 was very good. Series 3(second half) was excellent.

Much preferred other shows - however the strong characters makes The Wire well worth watching

It's all about opinions, but seasons 2 and 4 are generally regarded as the best of the series.

Season 4, in my opinion is a high watermark in TV full stop

I thought season 4 was the weakest, it suffered from having to use the children as actors because despite their very admirable performances the adult actors were outstanding. I'd still rather watch season 4 over any other T.V. however

For people who have watched The Wire and rate it highly - what would you recommend that is of similar quality?

I've just finished season 1 of Mad Men, and it sort of goes for the rewarding-if-you-pay-attention approach that The Wire has but there's just too many other things I don't like about it. I've yet to see The Sopranos other than a couple of episodes, was thinking of finally starting that and catching up with the rest of the world.

I've just finished season 1 of Mad Men, and it sort of goes for the rewarding-if-you-pay-attention approach that The Wire has but there's just too many other things I don't like about it. I've yet to see The Sopranos other than a couple of episodes, was thinking of finally starting that and catching up with the rest of the world.

I did The Sopranos after the Wire - it's awfully good but not quite The Wire - it;s basically runied telly.

Don't let that put you off, I got the Sopranos box set for about 50 quid last year and it is very very good. So yeah The Sopranos.

I'd also recomend The West Wing, my first "box set beasting" and probably remains my favourite. others on here have criticsed it, but I lurve it.

Currently making my way through the complete Frasier which I got for Christmas, not quite The Wire but good, after that intend to give a show called Brotherhood a watch having gone on an Amazon spree last year.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brotherhood_(2006_TV_series)

Indeed, there is no greater fear than nearing the end of a DVD box set and thinking - what now? :lol:

For people who have watched The Wire and rate it highly - what would you recommend that is of similar quality?

The Sheild was always a good watch.

Yup, excellent series. Especially when The Armenians turn up! Brilliant at ramping up the tension episode after episode.

I really loved Twin Peaks, it's up there with The Wire for me. I've also heard that Carnivale is outstanding. Neither of which are particularly in the same vein as The Wire.

Treme is made by the same people and involves many of the cast of the Wire. But not remotely crime based.

The Wire is the greatest piece of television that has ever been made, imo. The way that it's done, in its novel-esque fashion has completely ruined all the other smash-you-over-the-head-with-the-plot type shows for me .

I effin love the Wire but surely the Sopranos got there first??

I effin love the Wire but surely the Sopranos got there first??

Maybe it did, as I explained above I've never seen The Sopranos. One of my pals who has seen both and has pretty similar tastes to me said Sopranos is good but not on th same leve as The Wire

• 2 weeks later...

It was that scene when I found out that Snoop was a girl!

I doubted this from the very beginning, sure they kept referring to her as a women but I thought they were taking the piss! Didn't want to check wiki until I had finished watching the show but when I did there is quite an interesting story behind who she is and how she got part.

Basically a convicted murderer and drug dealer from Baltimore who met Omar in a nightclub and went on to play herself for two series laugh.gif

4 is my favourite but they're all great. Even theseemingly far-fetched fifth is phenomenal.

Yeah, at the start I was kind of annoyed at how far fetched the plot was but by the middle I was gripped, and genuinely didn't know how it would turn out.

I watched the entirety of the show in about 2/3 months so can't really differentiate between the quality of the seasons, I enjoyed them all.

As much has been discussed about the best characters, mine is Bunk by the way, there is a few characters I will pick out as being particularly poor.

Chris Partlow is the worst offender, how is this guy muscle? Physically he isn't intimidating, the performance from the actor was average and the character was just devoid of anything interesting to say or do. Weebay was a far better character, not to mention Snoop.

Avon, as mentioned elsewhere. Initially, you think Stringer is the physically intimidating mobster and Avon is the weedy intellectual, then it emerges Stringer is the clever one and Avon is the reckless and stupid one, as well as being not even remotely intimidating.

From the police side I thought Greggs was poor, but Herc underrated.

I have forgotten his name, but the press guy who runs Carcettis election campaign in series 4 is excellent.

And I've just started watching Sopranos and have watched season 1 of Oz. I would recommend the latter. Adebesi (not correct spelling) is a superb character.

Edited by Supras

The Shield or Oz are both really good, The Shield has a couple of my favourite scenes ever in them. I have the Sopranos but I can never get past the 2nd or 3rd season for some reason, I just get bored of it :(

Always good to see a Wire love-in on here :D

Really liked the Shield as well - the main difference for me was the quality of the bad guys (although in fairness the Strike Team are bad as well). COmparing Antwon MItchell to Stringer, Marlo or Avon is just not fair. Well worth a watch and one of those shows where you think - how will X get out of this?

West Wing is also up there for me, behind the Wire but ahead of the Sopranos. Sopranos started well bt some of those dream episodes in later series are a disgrace!