The Wire

BradHorse

The Wire is the greatest piece of television that has ever been made, imo. The way that it's done, in its novel-esque fashion has completely ruined all the other smash-you-over-the-head-with-the-plot type shows for me (Lost, Prison Break, Heroes etcetcetc).

I'd just like a wee thread for all The Wire appreciators to come together and bond over the brilliance we've seen and to try and convince the rest of the world to watch it and consequently ruin television forever, for everyone.

The main man...

ep51_bubbles_506_06-717484.jpg

Completely agree. Took me all of the first season to get into it, got completely hooked on season 2, and watched every episode from there. My life seems somewhat emptier without it, but I haven't tired of re-watching it, especially as the other half hasn't seen it!

There are a few stills in this month's Uncut magazine from Treme, David Simon's new series. I'm seeing Steve Earle and the guy who played Bunk amongst other Wire characters in it.

Treme is David Simon's work? In that case it might be worth a watch... hadn't heard much about.

Bubbles is a great character, he's like the only good hearted person in the whole program and he's a crack addict. As cliche as it is, I can't get by Omar Little as a favourite character. Michael K Williams has made his way into my favourite actors list purely from that role. The scene when him and Brother Mouzone (Sp?) met is one of the greatest pieces of television I've ever seen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20G17K_0ghU

Treme is David Simon's work? In that case it might be worth a watch... hadn't heard much about.

Bubbles is a great character, he's like the only good hearted person in the whole program and he's a crack addict. As cliche as it is, I can't get by Omar Little as a favourite character. Michael K Williams has made his way into my favourite actors list purely from that role. The scene when him and Brother Mouzone (Sp?) met is one of the greatest pieces of television I've ever seen:

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=20G17K_0ghU

Really? I think everyone's got a bit of good heart in them in that show, it's just a question of finding it at the right time.

I heard an interview with Michael K Williams on NPR or somesuch American station, he's as far removed from Omar as you could get. Apparently the scar is real though, from an incident in Brooklyn when he was young.

I think this is my favourite scene in The Wire. There are so many great ones but this is the first and only time Marlo's rage simmers over. He's a phenomenal character and I love that we don't truly understand him til the very end.

It was that scene when I found out that Snoop was a girl!

My favourite scene is probably the one with McNulty and Bunk re-examining the crime scene and the whole dialog is just grunts and variations of the word "f**k".

Other great scenes, the one in the tags above, the final monologue by Sergeant Landsman in the pub, completely summed up who they were talking about.

My favourite character was Ziggy though, bit gutted that his part was so minuscule but thought he was amazing.

Top five character would be

1. Ziggy
  2. Omar
  3. McNulty
  4. Bunk
  5. Bubbles

Loved Lester as well

Also another minor spoiler, doesn't really affect the storyline:

Rawls (this dude: 250px-The_Wire_Rawls.jpg) was gay. Nothing really to it but an interesting wee sidenote, aparently he was in the gay bar when the guy was sent to find Omar's boy.

Really? I think everyone's got a bit of good heart in them in that show, it's just a question of finding it at the right time.

I heard an interview with Michael K Williams on NPR or somesuch American station, he's as far removed from Omar as you could get. Apparently the scar is real though, from an incident in Brooklyn when he was young.

Aye I saw an interview with Michael K Williams on youtube and you're right, he was talking a lot about the drama schools he went to and plays he was in etc. Still, guess that's what makes him the fantastic actor he is. Aye everyone in The Wire has their good and bad points but Bubbles was just like the one guy that you rooted for more than any others, glad he was involved in all five seasons.

As for Marlo, I didn't him too much at first as I had got used to Avon being the big guy in Baltimore but he really did come into his own as the main villian type guy. There was a scene when Michael refuses to take his money and walks away from Marlo's guys and Marlo goes up to confront him and ask him if he's too good for his money or something. There's a wee bit in it where Michael almost squares up to him and you can just see what's going on in Marlo's head... really good bit that. Apparently the guy who played him is an ex gang member and I know that Snoop Pearson (played by Snoop Pearson) served time for murder and was brought into the show after meeting one of the actor's (might'v been MKW) in a night club. I think the real air of authenticity running through the wire is its main strength.

Aye I saw an interview with Michael K Williams on youtube and you're right, he was talking a lot about the drama schools he went to and plays he was in etc. Still, guess that's what makes him the fantastic actor he is. Aye everyone in The Wire has their good and bad points but Bubbles was just like the one guy that you rooted for more than any others, glad he was involved in all five seasons.

As for Marlo, I didn't him too much at first as I had got used to Avon being the big guy in Baltimore but he really did come into his own as the main villian type guy. There was a scene when Michael refuses to take his money and walks away from Marlo's guys and Marlo goes up to confront him and ask him if he's too good for his money or something. There's a wee bit in it where Michael almost squares up to him and you can just see what's going on in Marlo's head... really good bit that. Apparently the guy who played him is an ex gang member and I know that Snoop Pearson (played by Snoop Pearson) served time for murder and was brought into the show after meeting one of the actor's (might'v been MKW) in a night club. I think the real air of authenticity running through the wire is its main strength.

Ah yes, the authenticity. Never more evident that when then Police Chief of Baltimore made this statement about the Wire being a smear on the city, and complaining, I kind you not, that it wasn't more like CSI Miami.... life imitating art imitating life.

Baltimore Sun

Still only seen the first two seasons of this. Thought that the first season was quite slow and never really got into it until the last few episodes; but season two, ooft, some of the best TV I've ever seen. I thought all the workers at the docks were amazing, with Ziggy being my favourite by far. Omar's some character as well.

Is season three as good as season two?

Still only seen the first two seasons of this. Thought that the first season was quite slow and never really got into it until the last few episodes; but season two, ooft, some of the best TV I've ever seen. I thought all the workers at the docks were amazing, with Ziggy being my favourite by far. Omar's some character as well.

Is season three as good as season two?

Season two is my favourite, but I think the general consensus is that the series get better as they progress.

Season Two's my favourite as well, albeit Four runs it a very close second, but it does seem to be quite commonly cited, along with Five, as being the least popular season.

Right that's it, once I've finished my current re-watching of The Sopranos, I'm going to do the same thing with The Wire. You can't stop me.

Great wire scenes? Jeez....

The end of season four with randy and Carver posted above was strong suff. I kind iof have a real sft spot for the series opener - "Had to, This is America man"

Stringer, obviously, was my favourite. I also liked, although perhaps that isn't the right word, Carcetti.

Great wire scenes? Jeez....

The end of season four with randy and Carver posted above was strong suff. I kind iof have a real sft spot for the series opener - "Had to, This is America man"

Stringer, obviously, was my favourite. I also liked, although perhaps that isn't the right word, Carcetti.

I really liked Stringer the first time I watched it, but the second (3rd, 4th, 5th) time I watched it I realised how much of an arsehole he really was. Totally screwed everyone over. Was very shocked when I saw Idras Elba (think that's his name) on Jonathan Ross and he was like 'Eh oop Guv'nor' in a heavy cockney accent and I was like wit? You're from Baltimore mate.

Carcetti was quite good. Likeable yet also very smugly hateable.

I really liked Stringer the first time I watched it, but the second (3rd, 4th, 5th) time I watched it I realised how much of an arsehole he really was. Totally screwed everyone over. Was very shocked when I saw Idras Elba (think that's his name) on Jonathan Ross and he was like 'Eh oop Guv'nor' in a heavy cockney accent and I was like wit? You're from Baltimore mate.

Yeah, he difinetely comes across as more devious the second time around.

Carcetti was quite good. Likeable yet also very smugly hateable.

Indeed, there were times you sympathised with him, and times you hated him. Really good charcter, i thought his whole arc was interetsing, although obviously there was a bit more of his "journey" to go as the series ended.

My favourite character was Herc. Consistently funny and ultimately played a huge part in it all unfolding at the end.

And to that end - the Barksdale Lawyer whose name escapes me currently - Levi perhaps? Changed my perception of mod lawyers, he wanted them to go to trial! :lol:

Yeah, he difinetely comes across as more devious the second time around.

Indeed, there were times you sympathised with him, and times you hated him. Really good charcter, i thought his whole arc was interetsing, although obviously there was a bit more of his "journey" to go as the series ended.

And to that end - the Barksdale Lawyer whose name escapes me currently - Levi perhaps? Changed my perception of mod lawyers, he wanted them to go to trial! :lol:

Apparently there was talk of continuing the story but just focusing on the politics, it was going to be called The Halls or something like that - never came to fruition though

Definitely going to give that Treme a bash.