The Wire

BradHorse

Robots! Piers full of robots!

Season 2 has always been quite far down my list of favourite seasons of The Wire but I really enjoyed and appreciated it this time around, it's probably the funniest season.

Still don't like Ziggy but definitely felt sorry for the little idiot.

Even though I stopped a few years ago this season really made me want to smoke a cigarette.

Best show ever yo.

• 1 month later...
On 05/06/2021 at 23:35, Proposition Joe said:

It definitely jumps the shark a bit in season 5 and turns into The McNulty Show too often. 

The weakest season, but still some great moments though.

Wholeheartedly agree yeah, think Season 5 is still a worthwhile watch, the guy playing Gus is terrific which helps a lot with the newer shift to the newspapers and their part in the game.

Jumping in as the thread got a recent bump (Sobotka gets my vote) but as a wee contribution - my favourite defining character moments (off the top of my head tbf, might be better shouts than these) would be:

- Avon chewing out the referee for not standing by his decision and meekly asking whether Avon want's a do-over at the basketball game

edit: also maybe his reaction to Cutty asking for money

- Stringer getting laughed at by Levy for being rain-made by Clay Davis (delivery and facial expression at "he met me down in the lobby" is perfection). Possibly also asking Slim Charles to kill Clay Davis by extension.

- Kima saying she'd have put more fucking tape on the gun

- Bunk with Omar. Makes me sad motherfucker how far we done fell...

- Omar's "I got the shotgun, you got the briefcase" moment in court and Levy being dumbfounded

- McNulty... hm. Maybe drunkenly crashing his car twice in the space of a minute. Also the Mr. Contrapment bit with Bodie, works really well with Colvin's point about how policing shouldn't just be all about making arrests. Christ, even him doing the legwork to f**k Rawls over so that the dead girls in season 2 are homicide's problem, there's maybe too many to name, top boi.

- Carver doing much the same, rocking up and telling the corner boy that he missed a spot while sweeping and getting Colvin's mantra that "if you just go around cracking skulls who you gonna talk to when the shit goes down"

- Prez punching Valchek imo, shows how far he's gone and he now genuinely kind of "gets" the Major Crimes Unit/wants to be a part of it instead of just busting skulls

- Cool Lester Smooth... I dunno actually. Bottling Bird was cool but maybe not defining. I like his bit with McNulty at the bar. "I dunno Lester, a good case..." "Ends. They all end, McNulty."

- Daniels standing up against Burrell. paraphrasing but "If you could do me then I'd have been done by now. There was a lot of dirt in the Eastern District."

- Carcetti refusing to bang his election aide once he's mayor having been quite happy to cheat on his wife before. It's not out of morality I don't think, just sheer narcissism that he doesn't want to be tainted with any potential dirt that could hurt his career now.

- Marlo MY NAME IS MY NAME.

- Snoop buying the drill and flinging a massive tip at the guy.

- Chris' brutality on behalf of Michael.

- Frank Sobotka (and Nicky too in a way) - "You're his cousin for christ sakes!" "... and you're his father, Frank."

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely

9 hours ago, Thistle_do_nicely said:

- Carcetti refusing to bang his election aide once he's mayor having been quite happy to cheat on his wife before. It's not out of morality I don't think, just sheer narcissism that he doesn't want to be tainted with any potential dirt that could hurt his career now.

Always thought it was clever how they introduced Carcetti - first time you see him, he's cheating on his wife, so the audience immediately thinks he's a typical bent sleazy politician - only in it for what he can get out of it. Turns out he's a actually a straight-up good guy who wants to make a difference, but is hamstrung by budgets and, well...politics.

Great series. 

19 hours ago, Thistle_do_nicely said:

Wholeheartedly agree yeah, think Season 5 is still a worthwhile watch, the guy playing Gus is terrific which helps a lot with the newer shift to the newspapers and their part in the game.

Jumping in as the thread got a recent bump (Sobotka gets my vote) but as a wee contribution - my favourite defining character moments (off the top of my head tbf, might be better shouts than these) would be:

- Avon chewing out the referee for not standing by his decision and meekly asking whether Avon want's a do-over at the basketball game

edit: also maybe his reaction to Cutty asking for money

- Stringer getting laughed at by Levy for being rain-made by Clay Davis (delivery and facial expression at "he met me down in the lobby" is perfection). Possibly also asking Slim Charles to kill Clay Davis by extension.

- Kima saying she'd have put more fucking tape on the gun

- Bunk with Omar. Makes me sad motherfucker how far we done fell...

- Omar's "I got the shotgun, you got the briefcase" moment in court and Levy being dumbfounded

- McNulty... hm. Maybe drunkenly crashing his car twice in the space of a minute. Also the Mr. Contrapment bit with Bodie, works really well with Colvin's point about how policing shouldn't just be all about making arrests. Christ, even him doing the legwork to f**k Rawls over so that the dead girls in season 2 are homicide's problem, there's maybe too many to name, top boi.

- Carver doing much the same, rocking up and telling the corner boy that he missed a spot while sweeping and getting Colvin's mantra that "if you just go around cracking skulls who you gonna talk to when the shit goes down"

- Prez punching Valchek imo, shows how far he's gone and he now genuinely kind of "gets" the Major Crimes Unit/wants to be a part of it instead of just busting skulls

- Cool Lester Smooth... I dunno actually. Bottling Bird was cool but maybe not defining. I like his bit with McNulty at the bar. "I dunno Lester, a good case..." "Ends. They all end, McNulty."

- Daniels standing up against Burrell. paraphrasing but "If you could do me then I'd have been done by now. There was a lot of dirt in the Eastern District."

- Marlo MY NAME IS MY NAME.

- Snoop buying the drill and flinging a massive tip at the guy.

- Chris' brutality on behalf of Michael.

- Frank Sobotka (and Nicky too in a way) - "You're his cousin for christ sakes!" "... and you're his father, Frank."

Some key moments here for sure.

I'll add...

- Avon and Stringer on the balcony.

- Bubbles: Sherrod's death and eventually being invited upstairs by his sister to eat dinner.

- McNulty, "I caught him. I caught him on the wire and now he'll never know" after Stringer's death. It's all about him and his ego.

- Prez at the school, "turn robberies into larceny, make rapes disappear. Juke the stats so Majors become Colonels. I've seen this before."

- the standoff between Omar and Brother Mouzone.

- Colvin's "there's never been a paper bag for drugs" speech

Finished watching it again last night, too many things going through my head to give a summary that would do it justice.

Simply put it's a modern masterpiece, the greatest show ever and I will meet anyone down on any Westside corner if they say otherwise.

I'm away for a lake trout sandwich and a strawberry soda.

Edited by stevieKTID

9 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Has it been confirmed as an overdose?

Don't know if it's been confirmed but I saw one report saying drug paraphernalia had been found in his apartment.

This is from the NY Post who knows how accurate it is.

Michael K. Williams — who portrayed notorious stickup man Omar Little on “The Wire” — was found dead of a suspected heroin overdose in his Brooklyn penthouse Monday afternoon, law enforcement sources told The Post.

Williams, 54, was discovered face-down and unresponsive in the dining room of his luxury Williamsburg pad with what appeared to be heroin on the kitchen table, sources said.