The Wire

BradHorse

Just finished rewatching the first series as at first watch I didn't really get the hype , but , sat and worked my way through it and I've come to the conclusion that it really is a great show. 

Noticed a lot more going on this time and upgrade it to almost sopranos. 

I also reread the book Homicide : A Year On The Killing Streets by David Simon. Some of the stories and characters from the book make it into The Wire and some of the Detectives from the book play parts in The Wire , definitely worth a read.

ssshhhhheeeeeeeeeeeeeetttt Breaking bad isn't even close to this.    (i liked it but it nowhere near as much as others.)

The wire is amazing but i do wonder how many viewers it lost during season 1. it is very slow but you can see it is building the characters and getting you to buy into the realism.

• 1 month later...
Guest bernardblack
For the past year I have been wondering if I should buy the entire box set or not and the last time it was on offer it was £50 which I thought was good, but by the time I decided to buy it, it had gone back up to £120-odd. So my question is, is it worth the £50? I've heard that it's amazing and of the best TV shows ever, but is it actually?

The pricing here is obscene! [emoji23]

• 2 months later...

Finally getting down to watch the box set after arriving in North Wales to reunite with old friends, and the place has just been put in lockdown (£35 btw). Weird how dated it seems already but it's a couple of decades I suppose. Things like not even having a tracker on an undercover police car. Great telly though.

• 3 months later...

Watched this from start to season five now. 
Would rate it along with anything tbh and although the first season was slow you could tell it was quality and had something about it. Season 4 was a tough watch but probably the best along with the second (docks) series imo.

Omar, bubbles, mcnulty, bunk, sobotkas probably my favourite characters but lots of great casting all round. Agree about the earlier comments about Stanfield though I’d rather have had Chris or the boxing coach as the other crimelord. He wasn’t terrible just not really believable. 
The thing that shocked me was that it all felt very real and in a country like America. When things are bad there it’s as bad as anywhere in the world. It hit the nail on the head in terms of all the forces that keep cities like that down. I can’t see any recovery for places like Baltimore or ex heavy industry cities. Sheeeeet.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
15 hours ago, Henderson to deliver ..... said:

Started a full rewatch of this now after battering through the Sopranos again.

3rd time round, season 2 ep 2 atm.

Doing the same myself just now first time watching a series 3 times.  Just reached end of season 2.

• 4 weeks later...