The Wire

BradHorse

Aye season 3 was my favourite too. Like Jaggy says above it has a lot of pay offs and the first time I watched it it felt like a return 'home' to the characters i knew in season 1.

Season 3 for me as well. The slow demise of Barksdale is great viewing. The scene with Avon and Stringer on the balcony, especially.

When anyone I know asks for recommendations I instantly go to The Wire. I'm like a broken record but it really is that good, and I, probably unfairly, measure everything against it.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎28‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 16:12, Arch Stanton said:

Article in The Guardian showing what locations used in the series look like today.

The Wire locations 15 years on

Here's a decent article on The Wire and Baltimore that accompanies the photos you linked.

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2017/may/27/baltimore-15-years-after-the-wire

Currently on a rewatch of this, now on S3 Ep2. Forgot just how good it is.

• 5 months later...

greatest show ever made, started watching series 1 again the other night. it's genius and nothing will ever compare to it in my opinion just because it's real, it's not over the top nonsense.

will be lucky if there is ever another show anywhere near as good.

greatest show ever made, started watching series 1 again the other night. it's genius and nothing will ever compare to it in my opinion just because it's real, it's not over the top nonsense.

will be lucky if there is ever another show anywhere near as good.

Ive been waiting 10 years for a show to come along that can even remotely tie the wires shoe laces. Starting to think it will never happen.

Agree BH great show. Still not a patch on The Wire however. Far to Hollywood.

The grittiness and realism of The Wire sets it far apart. If you read the book Homicide Life on the Streets by Simon you instantly respect what research he put into the show.

Aye... apparently the photocopier/lie detector thing was lifted from real life. You get the impression that a lot of The Wire is as well though.

The Deuce isn't as good yet but I certainly loved that first season. The scene between Candy and Rodney is the finest scene I've seen for a long, long time.

For me The Wire was on a different level of TV, I actually missed it when it had watched it all. I loved breaking bad but I don't think it's a patch The Wire, which is the finest TV i'v ever seen, trying to talk my Mrs I to watching it so I can watch it again but she would rather watch shite like The Walking Dead! 

17 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

the greatest moment in TV history IMO - very spoilery

Hide contents

The actors playing Slim Charles and Cheese are in The Deuce. As are the actors who played D'Angelo Barksdale and Maury Levy.

ETA...and Lester Freamon.

ETA...and Chris Partlow.

Edited by Arch Stanton