Worst place you've ever worked?

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Worked in the Co-Op and hated it.

First job when I was 17 though was in Fords the bakers factory in Prestonpans during the summer holidays.

Saturdays were okay as I just had to load all of the rolls that came out the oven into the big baskets they get taken off to the shops in.

The other days were hellish though is they mainly involved cleaning metal trays and baskets with loud, dangerous industrial equipment for hours and hours at a time. Used to go home every day with my hair stuck together with flour and in my eyes/nose/ears. The folk I worked with for for the most part, not all there mentally.

Was having to get up about 5 in the morning to get there and getting about £4 an hour so I jacked it in as soon as I could. They went bust a couple of years later.

Worked in the Co-Op and hated it.

First job when I was 17 though was in Fords the bakers factory in Prestonpans during the summer holidays.

Saturdays were okay as I just had to load all of the rolls that came out the oven into the big baskets they get taken off to the shops in.

The other days were hellish though is they mainly involved cleaning metal trays and baskets with loud, dangerous industrial equipment for hours and hours at a time. Used to go home every day with my hair stuck together with flour and in my eyes/nose/ears. The folk I worked with for for the most part, not all there mentally.

Was having to get up about 5 in the morning to get there and getting about £4 an hour so I jacked it in as soon as I could. They went bust a couple of years later.

Pleasing?

You could try, but I've not seen it work. You will be investigated and your case decided by one of the "weapons" you refer to. Put yourself in their shoes!

^^^weapon

The worst single day's work I ever did was while on a working holiday in New Zealand. Up in the far North at the height of summer, it was about 36 degrees and I got a job labouring for a builder. My first task was to turn over the 'soil' where the lawn was to be laid, but it was so hot and dry it was like digging into rubber. The builder was questioning why it was taking so long and my only explanation was that I'm from f**king Scotland where it's currently minus 6 degrees and I'm on the brink of collapse.

Halfway through the day when I was nearly finished, after consuming about 20 litres of water and sweating out twice that, phase two of the job arrived in the form of a 7.5 tonne tipper truck full of steaming manure which was to be spread atop the newly-turned over ground. Towards the end of the day I spewed my ringer through what I initially thought was a combination of sheer exhaustion and dehydration, but this was quickly diagnosed by the other workers on site as me being a pussy who wasn't used to hard work. Nightmare day.

Back in my student days, I was on my way down to the South of France for a summer job selling doughnuts on the beach. I was 2 days early and hitch-hiking around, when a guy pulled up and asked if I'd be interested in doing a couple days work at a circus. OK, said I.

It was a small family affair, 'Le Cirque aux Etoiles', and their regular dogsbody had absconded. My role would be to help set the chairs out, carry props on and off, flog popcorn etc... "We can't pay you, but we'll feed you; the best thing about the job is that in the afternoon, lots of girls come to look at the animals, and you can show them around (winks)."

It was fucking awful. They were a clan of talentless gypo shysters, trying to fleece the public for anything they could get. The 'acrobat' was the pudgy teenage daughter, who did an appalling ball-balancing act involving slipping off every few seconds. The 'clown' was the patriarch, a foul-mouthed, foul-smelling sexual deviant. The guy who'd picked me up was the idiot son/nephew, who got his kicks from showing young teen girls his goat.

After the show, they gave me a sandwich ("Here's your dinner"). I waited till the coast was clear, grabbed my backpack and got the f**k out of there.

Guest The Phoenix
I cannot ignore Her Majesty's clearly laid out conduct policy. One should conduct oneself as if She was present at all times.

You've not been dismissed in over thirty years so I reckon Scott's pretty safe.

So I'm spot welding hinge boxes, hunners of them. Place between electrodes, press the foot pedal, buzz, job done. You get into a routine and the time flies by. What I didn't know was every time the current flows, your watch stops. I noticed it getting darker outside but didn't think much of it at all. First I knew something was wrong was when I got home two hours later than usual. Worse, the boss didn't pay me for the extra two hours.

In a previous job (which I've mentioned already), it was so shite that people couldn't wait to leave. We used to congregate round the clockcard machine 5 minutes in advance. Found out that you could make time go faster by giving it a good punch. Unfortunately, you couldn't make it go backwards, but management never clocked onto the scam and used to rewind the clock every week.

I must have robbed a good couple of hours off the utter b*****ds.

Once worked in a factory that made the mince and steak pies amongst other things for chippies. Half the folk working there were always on the thieve. Most of them would arrive early and pinch boxes of sausages! The old boy that made all the dough in the bakery used to be a Japanese prisoner of war and a few folk used to make noises behind him which would always make him freak out and dive for cover and start throwing things.

One idiot was sick in the mince mixture and still loaded it into the machine and another once lost a band aid plaster in the steak pie filling, another person saw it in a pie and promptly put a lid on it and stuck it in the oven.

Some people back in the 70's just never cared. I only stuck it out for a couple of weeks but it took years before I ate another pie supper.

Skint after returning from backpacking, I was offered an agency job in a factory that produced carpet underlay. The job consisted of heaving rolls if underlay onto pallets for a full shift.

I had to attend a funeral the day of my first shift, so was only in for two hours in the morning. I ended up getting arseholed after the funeral and not going back.

f**k doing that for a living.

I worked in a toilet roll factory for a couple of months when I was travelling, involving such tasks as sitting by the production line and slapping barcodes on the packs as they rolled past. You'd just sit there daydreaming and going though the motions until you suddenly realised 3 hours had passed and you'd done 2000 labels.

There were guys working there who had done it for 30 years or more and you could see it had affected their sanity.

I worked in a toilet roll factory for a couple of months when I was travelling, involving such tasks as sitting by the production line and slapping barcodes on the packs as they rolled past. You'd just sit there daydreaming and going though the motions until you suddenly realised 3 hours had passed and you'd done 2000 labels.

There were guys working there who had done it for 30 years or more and you could see it had affected their sanity.

:lol:

Archived