Worst place you've ever worked?

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd imagine that anyone who's been on the books of an agency would have a similar story. A lot of them act as though their clients are useless no-hopers, and that they're charity workers for the hopelessly unemployed.

When my missus moved to Glasgow 3 or 4 years back she registered with an agency who offered her work almost straight away. She had a flat in the West end of Glasgow and the job was in Edinburgh. She didn't drive so it would have been an 80 minute each way journey by public transport to get to where the office was situated, and when tax, NI and traveling expenses were taken off it would have meant working for about £4 an hour. When my missus knocked the job back, explaining all of the above as her reason, the girl at the agency went a bit mental and gave her quite a bit of abuse, calling her, amongst other things, a workshy immigrant(My missus actually has both a Swiss and a British passport, for what it's worth) and blaming her for not meeting commission targets. My missus was shocked and reported the girl, though what came of it is anyone's guess.

Agency work is horrendous to be fair.

When I was in Australia, I got offered a months work as a 'production operator' in a factory that manufactured plumbing fittings. I turned up on the first day to find out that I was on stocktake for a month. This would involve counting brass fittings for a month. I never went back after lunch on the first day.

Before I became I student, I had signed up with an agency in Dumfries and was offered work in a warehouse. I had a funeral the morning of my first shift, so went to work 6-10, was due back at 2pm after the funeral. The mornings work consisted of carrying rolls of carpet underlay from a cage and stacking them onto a pallet. 4 hours of this was enough, so I got hammered at the wake, and never went back.

Agency work is horrendous to be fair.

When I was in Australia, I got offered a months work as a 'production operator' in a factory that manufactured plumbing fittings. I turned up on the first day to find out that I was on stocktake for a month. This would involve counting brass fittings for a month. I never went back after lunch on the first day.

Before I became I student, I had signed up with an agency in Dumfries and was offered work in a warehouse. I had a funeral the morning of my first shift, so went to work 6-10, was due back at 2pm after the funeral. The mornings work consisted of carrying rolls of carpet underlay from a cage and stacking them onto a pallet. 4 hours of this was enough, so I got hammered at the wake, and never went back.

How many jobs did you go through before you completed a full day?

Having only technically worked for 1 company, this job is both the worst and best I've ever had. It's been fun watching others come and go though. One engineer was driving back from Dunkerque, he'd been on the road for about a week going from London over to Dunkerque, into Holland, back to Dunkerque and then he was heading home. An urgent job came in somewhere in London and I phoned him to ask if he could "pop into it on his way home" which in hindsight was the wrong phrase to use with a tired, angry, home bound engineer. "JUST FUCKING POP IN? LONDON ISNAE JUST A WEE FUCKING TOWN WE CAN POP INTAE, ITS MILES OOT THE ROAD. f**k OFF, TELL HIM [my manager] HE CAN f**k OFF AM NO DAIN IT AM COMIN HAME". Never saw the guy again but he did end up trying to take the company to court over various things, I think he was somehow trying to get paid for the notice that he didn't bother working.

Archived