Worst place you've ever worked?

The people who continually phone numbers on TPS are shitehooses and if all they end up with is sore ears for their efforts, they're getting away with it.

No, the people are trying to earn a living. The companies are the "shitehooses". Slightly less so, though, than someone who blows a whistle down a phone

On this, the reason one person calles and asks if it is OK for someone to call the customer back is that the initial call is classed as "market research". Gets around TPS.

No it doesnt. If the purpose of the original call is sales it isnt classed as market research

If you believe that the purpose of the call was sales/marketing but made under the guise of market research please log your complaint with TPS as receipt of a sales/marketing call.

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jesus, I'm glad I deal with inbound calls and don't need to call people unless absolutely required too. If someone blew a whistle down the phone at me I'd put there number up on somewhere like this.

Packing shelves in Gateway two nights a week after school (Price gun and pre electronic scan days)

Supervisor didnt like me and used to put me on the worst two aisles of either pet food or Freezer Tops which either involved being very cold or accidently opening a stinking pet food packet which i made sure did happen one night followed by tipping the contents over the c***s head from above who was in the next aisle talking bout me and laughin till my wee accident which was the end of that job..

Ps. Did have its benefits at times, Food or anythn accidently opened durin openin boxes wae your stanley was all thrown into a trolley for manager to write off or put into the whoopsy basket was often rattled as it passed through store.

Have worked in many a kitchen, but the numero uno in the shit stakes was in a golf club kitchen in County Armagh. 3 months of shuddering every morning and wondering how I would get through the day! 19th century food, horrendous staff, arsehole customers, shitey wee b*****d managers. Just shocking.

That was my time spent in Northern Ireland in a microcosm for me.

Probably my most recent place. I was trainee manager in a local cake factory and got £7.60 an hour to put up with a shower of passive aggressive mongols in the head office and a minimum wage workforce heartbreakingly demotivated. Main cause of this was the Production Supervisor whom I was genuinely amused this morning to learn is in hospital having taken a 'bad turn'.

I was picked on mercillesly in the office and eventually sacked having spiralled into a cycle of drink and depression.

Give me a call centre or door to door sales any day. Honestly.

• 3 months later...

Had a part-time student job at What Every Woman Wants in Stirling back when God was a boy. The manager at the time was a wee spiv who complained that everybody he'd taken on had quit after one shift since he became manager. I started with another boy who, sure enough, jacked it in after one shift :lol:

The weekday stuff was OK, just unloading the delivery truck in the evenings for a few hours a day. But the weekend work was horrible, as I was a 'store detective', which amounted to slowly walking around a wee store pretending to browse. For some reason, your feet hurt less after a straightforward eight hour walk than they do slowly pacing around, and the tedium is awful. Never caught a single shoplifter, so I was obviously awful at it, and the fuckers over at the Thistles would never answer me on the walkie-talkie :angry:

The manager was something else, though. He loved to swan around bragging about how little it cost WEWW to buy their "trash" (in front of customers, no less) - apparently the most expensive item they bought in was a leather jacket that they bought for £1.50 and sold for £99. The store only had three full-time staff members who were all desperate for work for various reasons, and he rode them like nobody's business.

The guy responsible for stock control was expected to work twelve-hour shifts and was only paid for seven, which assumed he had an hour off for lunch, despite only being allowed fifteen minutes. Once, in front of me, he asked the manager if he could come in fifteen minutes late the next day as nobody else was available to take his wean to school, to which the boss said, "Sure, no problem". Manager then waited for the guy to get halfway back to the stock room before saying, "I'll make sure your wages are sent on". In tears, bloke then practically has to beg the c**t for his job back :(

I got my jotters after I blew off a shift because my girlfriend was seriously ill (giving the 24 hours notice, as laid out on the handbook). Came in the next day, and the boss lined the staff up to watch me get bawled out for letting him down so badly. Walked out after the initial shock wore off. Pretty sure I wouldn't have been paid for my work that week, but WEWW didn't trust their managers with payroll and it was all automated through to head office via the punch clock.

Saw one of the staff members working elsewhere a few months later; apparently a call had come through for Mr Bossman one morning, after which he came flying out of his office and out the door, never to be seen again. Head office had found out about his habit of getting the staff to fill his car up with stock at the end of every day, and were stupid enough to tell him to stay put until the bobbies came to lift him :lol: Rumour was that he never even went back to his house, and was presumed to have hopped back on the ferry to Ireland. Head office got the remaining staff members to run the store (with no extra pay, natch) until they appointed a new manager, before sacking everyone in case they'd been in cahoots with the previous one :thumbsdown

After me and the mrs got back from travelling we hadn't had any work for about 3 months after being around East Asia. She ended up joining a few agencies in Edinburgh then one saturday night she got a TEXT from the agency saying saying they had a start for her at a place doing office/reception work which she was used to before. So she went to the address on the Monday as instructed and the atmosphere was already awful and generally unfriendly, no one introduced themselves and she sat there waiting for the boss. He then took her into his office, didn't introduce himself or ask her name just told her he knew nothing about her and her past experiences, he ended up asking her if she had done higher English and what grade she got then he looked at her like she was an idiot when she said she got a C in it, despite being out of school about 8 years. He then informed her that people there did not make mistakes and mistakes weren't tolerated as it was his company and dumped her with someone and told her her job was to watch how she did her job as its what she would be doing as of Wednesday, the woman who was meant to be showing her what to do never spoke to her once and the boss spent the day charging about shouting at people telling them they should be doing better, speaking about people when they weren't there in a foul manner and just being a general arsehole in one of those small open plan offices where everyone could see each other.

At the end of what must have been a truly horrible day for her she had a voicemail from a job she actually wanted asking her for an interview so saw it as a sign and decided to phone the agency to say she wasn't going back, the woman at the agency swore at her and told her how ungrateful she was after they had gone that extra mile to find a job for her. I told her she must have been exaggerating and it can't possibly have been that bad but even after over a year i don't think she has fully recovered

Archived