Worst place you've ever worked?

remember doing Betterware when i was 15 to get some money for xmas. What a scam that was. You got 20% comission from memory but you would only get paid if you sold £50/60 worth of stuff in a week. There was times i was having to get friends and family to buy stuff just so i could get cash. Also was out almost every day posting those fudging booklets and picking them back up

Did you sell many of these?

product-7196295.jpg

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not read the thread, however my worst job has got to be selling the Kirby Vacuum Cleaner(never say hoover).

I lost my job many a year ago, rather than joining the dole queue, I answered that shiting job offer in the local paper.

Interview was horrendous, open hall with the lowest of citizen ever imaginable. I was the only person that could speak a full sentence ffs, when I soldier on I a proud guy and work what I don't to pay the bill all my life....

I worked for 3 weeks without pay, this is a commissioned job, but i'd sold over 15 Vacuums doing the shite they explained, not a fucking penny (end of the month).

On the morning of the Scotland v England game at Hampden (0-2) 1998? (years have past me now) I went to the office and demanded my money to find a drunken p***k off a man sitting there, I asked for over the 2 grand that he own me as I'm leaving. He said"no fucking chance you're getting nothing". Well preceded to punch this c**t from chair to floor, and more, his "guy" that work with him ran in and hit me with the biggest thud with a bar (17 stitches)on the back my nut....I got the f**k out there before I was going to be mauled there was another 2 "guys" sitting outside.

I went to the police the next day as I wanted to watch the game understandable! They said SlipperyP we know about this mob do what the f**k you want.... I did!! :guns

When I left school I worked for a delivery company and had to go out in the lorries and unload the 16 pallets of assorted drink into off-licences, haddows/Vicky Wine. Cold and wet in the winter and soaked with sweat in the summer for £2.20per hour and 60 hour weeks but on the plus side you could chicken wing between drops checking out the talent. The lorries had the company name and address splattered down the side and the base had no security to speak of other than a locked door and the fully loaded motors would sit outside so naturally we were robbed of fags and booze, everyone was astounded and amazed and there was talk of an inside job. I (at 17) stated the obvious and said it was little wonder wed been done over. This I later learned was an admission of guilt when I was called into the office to be met by a big polis boy who's first words were "I'm arresting you under the Scottish law act (1974?)" and I was whisked off to the cells in Stoney, questioned under caution where it was discovered all they had was that my boss needed someone to blame and I was sent on my way.

Left there to work in a food factory, 8 hours a day in a team of 3 on a line where one picked out the bad bits and the other two packed the boxes with bagged product. You half built a box then put half a dozen bags in and slid it to the next person who put 6 more in, folded down the top and pushed it through a taping machine. We would as a three swap every half hour but it was still the most achingly boring job I've ever had, screaming on the inside every day and all the supervisors were promoted from within and were usually clueless but loved telling people to work faster.

I've already posted about my next job earlier in the thread but not really done it justice, you cannot comprehend how bad and basically life threatening it was.

I went to the police the next day as I wanted to watch the game understandable! They said SlipperyP we know about this mob do what the f**k you want.... I did!! :guns

Go on... popcorn.gif

Not read the thread, however my worst job has got to be selling the Kirby Vacuum Cleaner(never say hoover).

I lost my job many a year ago, rather than joining the dole queue, I answered that shiting job offer in the local paper.

Interview was horrendous, open hall with the lowest of citizen ever imaginable. I was the only person that could speak a full sentence ffs, when I soldier on I a proud guy and work what I don't to pay the bill all my life....

I worked for 3 weeks without pay, this is a commissioned job, but i'd sold over 15 Vacuums doing the shite they explained, not a fucking penny (end of the month).

On the morning of the Scotland v England game at Hampden (0-2) 1998? (years have past me now) I went to the office and demanded my money to find a drunken p***k off a man sitting there, I asked for over the 2 grand that he own me as I'm leaving. He said"no fucking chance you're getting nothing". Well preceded to punch this c**t from chair to floor, and more, his "guy" that work with him ran in and hit me with the biggest thud with a bar (17 stitches)on the back my nut....I got the f**k out there before I was going to be mauled there was another 2 "guys" sitting outside.

You were the best?

Re the cold calling job for £5 p/h; how is this legal? I though that companies were no longer allowed to use commission to bring wages up to the minimum wage?

Re paper rounds; I had one in 2002 when my older brother quit as he was too lazy to get up to do it. I took it over. Got £15 a week. I managed to get it to down to about an hour, so was decent enough. As mentioned, the weekend supplements were an utter killer.

I also delivered a free paper with a friend to the next village (Steelend) for a couple of years. We got paid about £3 or so each, most of which we spent at the village shop on the way back down, but it was a decent laugh. We got some tremendous tips at Christmas time. If my friend wasn't there and I had to do it myself, I'd often fire down the glen and chuck all the papers in the burn.

Curious about how much you guys earned on your paper rounds.

About twenty years ago, I had a round for one of the local free papers that paid 1p per paper delivered, and I was responsible for over 200 houses, twice a week. Didn't realise how little I would be getting paid until after I started, and we were so broke at the time that I couldn't afford to quit. Was cracking stuff, putting all the adverts into the papers, folding them all up, then walking a couple of miles to the furthest away houses, before walking back home to load up again. Repeat five or six times. And then the weeks when they'd have catalogues or other heavy pish for me to include...I'd still be delivering the old edition when the new one came out. This went on for about eighteen months. Was basically a full-time job, thinking about it.

Mentioned this to one of the kids at school when he was talking about his round, and he just about pissed his pants. His round was for thirteen houses and he got paid £15 for doing it :o

18 years ago i bought a milk round off my next door neightbour, he was starting a full time job so sold it on to me, we made 15 quid a week wages and 20-30 in tips working from 6-7.30 in the morning and collecting money on a friday night and the leftovers on a sat morning, we delivered double milk on a saturday and had sunday off

by the time i turned 18 we had been taken over by wisemans and they lumped all the old famrs customers onto our van (used to be 3 different vans that done deliveries) suddenly we were going from a maximum 45 quid a week to getting 35 quid a week wages and maybe around 60-70 in tips, but we had to work 3-8am and collect money thursday and friday night, but for up to a ton a week tax free it was fucking great, and of course christmas time was funny money, cause we split everything 3 ways between the 3 guys on the van we ended up with around 500 quid each in christmas week, wonder if our xmas cards delivered with the milk on xmas week helped :D

I did a milk round between the age of 14-18, Monday-Saturday 6-730am every week for 4 years. I kept at it for a few months when I went to college but eventually quit as it was interfering with student social life, and my student grants and loans made a mockery of the £15 a week anyway.

It was a great job though, kept me really fit as there was plenty of running and it also probably kept me from being a pisshead in my mid-teens as most of my mates were. As above, the tips were good at Christmas too.

I did that shitey, 500 odd newspaper round when I was about 12 where you had to put all the leaflets in. Absolutely hated it and would usually end up with less than a tenner.

Luckily managed to get a morning and evening round on Monday to Saturday at the newsagent and did them til I got my first proper job. Ended up basically doing all the rounds all over town and used to make £25 a week which is a lot when you're 14. Saw some weird sights and met some bizarre characters deliver the papers over those years as well. Halcyon days.

Circa 1981 for one Winter I had Elm Row and the top o the Walk in Edinburgh.

The job came like a relative leaving a treasured momento in their will, ie it passed from one cocksocket to another in school, with only the desperate taking it on.

£3 for the Sunday morning (4 hours?) , but it had 'perks'.

Ie the sauna next to the Gateway studios :), fine lookin goils.

Plus I saw 2 punks chasing a mod down the road, he bolted into a stair I had just delivered tom to hide and I of course went ''psssst' to the punks. They were up there for 5 or 6 minutes....job done in this life at that point, aged 14 :D.

Go on... popcorn.gif

Don't think the criminal activity which happened for the following year would be appreciated by the Mods & Div on their website, will mention that the "guy" with the bar will never be able to grip a bar with his right hand ever again.

Don't think the criminal activity which happened for the following year would be appreciated by the Mods & Div on their website, will mention that the "guy" with the bar will never be able to grip a bar with his right hand ever again.

Does now living in Thailand have anything to do with all of this?

I got £9 a week (Mon-Sat) for a paper round in the mid-90s.

My wife's current job is the pits. She started 3 weeks ago for a windows company, cold calling in the evenings. She gets dogs abuse, and last night an old woman blew a whistle down the phone. Even now my wife's ear is sore. But it gets worse.

They call people, and if someone agrees to a call back, that's called a bite. If during this call they agree to a salesman coming that's called a pitch. My wife started on £5.50 an hour, but gets £5 for a pitch as well. In theory, they say, she could make NMW.

Last night she goes in and they say that from next week, if you don't get 2 pitches in a week you won't get paid. So in theory my wife could work 18 hours next week and earn zero. I told her to jack the job in but she doesn't want to lose money we're trying to save.

This is what I was trying to describe earlier! I was promised £35 a week + commission but turned out I had to earn £35 worth of commission first to get anything.

Harsh, but having seen the stress caused by b*****ds at window firms cold-calling my parents for years, I'm not surprised people take matters into their own hands. Who the hell wants phoned about new windows?

Yeah, causing physical damage to someone is a far more reasonable and measured response than just, say, registering with TPS and stopping the calls :huh:

Not condoning the whistle, but registering with the TPS is a waste of time.

How? We've had maybe a handful of calls in the 5+ years we've been registered. Those that have called cant get off the phone quick enough when you tell them the number is on TPS.

I hope none of you work in re Co-op in the Gorbals, the checkout staff are a righ bunch of dour face counts.

I just want to give them a right good slap some mornings

That Co-op in the gorbals is the worst shop I've ever had the misfortune to step into. The place is a fucking tomb

Archived