Worst place you've ever worked?

It wasn't Madhouse you worked at, was it? I worked in the Edinburgh branch while I was at uni, and the St Enoch's manager came through to cover our manager's day off a few times. That sort of stuff is exactly the kind of thing he tried with us as well. The man was a colossal p***k.

No, meight, it was Jeanster / D2 (same company).

Edit: Had a wee look and it seems both chains were very similar in their locations, brand and the stock they carried and both went bust. Could well have been that the same guy worked for both I suppose. Or just a coincidence.

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ashfield Dye Factory

Summer job whilst at University.

Got promoted to Storeman within a week because I could read and write.

Unloaded a lorry load of bags of Urea (in simple terms a solidified form of urine used in dye making) and it started raining. Some of the bags had holes in them and the skin on my arms was turned red raw.

Didn't last long - I (accidentally) drove the forklift into the adjacent river and was promptly sacked.

:lol: How the fcuk did you manage that?!

I had a summer job as a Porter at a posh Country hotel whilst at Uni.........The shift pattern was 3pm-close then 6am-3pm the next day so you would get to stay in the hotel......shit pay and boring as fcuk. The only perk was getting to pump the Sous Chef's burd :)

Placement year during uni purely on the basis I had an absolute shite manager. He would moan all the time, but total spineless and wouldn't address issues.

Used to work in a shop near croftfoot/castlemilk, Glasgow. Tons of bams as you'd imagine. I remember one ned getting chased by 2-3 guys. He tried to mount a railing, failed and fell on the ground. Ended up getting clobbed around the body, incl. the head with buckie bottles and kicks. Horrendous.

I had a summer job as a Porter at a posh Country hotel whilst at Uni.........The shift pattern was 3pm-close then 6am-3pm the next day so you would get to stay in the hotel......shit pay and boring as fcuk. The only perk was getting to pump the Sous Chef's burd :)

I know another P&B user with similar tales of hotel employment debauchery to his name :shutup

Guest The Phoenix

:lol: How the fcuk did you manage that?!

My right foot decided the accelerator was a better choice than the brake and by the time my brain managed to communicate with said foot, it was too late.

I know another P&B user with similar tales of hotel employment debauchery to his name :shutup

Yeh.....probably cos all the staff are young (as I was at the time) and just passing through. Although I think the Sous Chef is still there....

My right foot decided the accelerator was a better choice than the brake and by the time my brain managed to communicate with said foot, it was too late.

:lol: I'd have loved to have seen that! What did they/you say?

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Worked for two months at a fish factory in Eyemouth - 5am to 9am six days a week tailing prawns (ripping live prawns apart with your fingers) then on call all day to unload the boats as they came in. Can't stand the smell of seafood at the best of times, I was permanently swallowing bile the entire 2 months.

Found myself broke and out of work so I borrowed a set of ladders and went door to door cleaning windows. In January in the middle of a cauld, cauld winter. Feart o heights and standing shivering at the top of an icy ladder washing windows in the snow.

Worst job - worked in a slaughterhouse in Guildford when I was a teenager. I was given a sledgehammer and told to crack the cow's skulls with it. When I asked about bolt guns they laughed and said they didn't have anything so modern. All morning I killed cows. If you didn't swing the sledgehammer hard enough, the cow went fuckin' nuts and tried to break the crush. Hit the thing too hard and the sledgehammer smashed the skull and you got covered in brains. By lunchtime I was knackered, but when I got to the canteen everybody stood up and applauded. Turned out they were having a laugh with the new guy and I could have been using a bolt gun. I walked out and never went back. Didn't even ask for wages.

Looks like P&B is popular in Vietnam.

NewBornBairn maybe should have copyrighted the technique. :unsure:

post-28480-0-34248100-1466150640_thumb.j

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-36547683

Archived