Media Coverage of the Junior Game

RobRoyGuy

Cheers Larky - here's a wee bit of the past from another issue.

http://img.photobuck...hallion/001.jpg

A future Celtic and hibs left back third from left, back row.

Thanks for the picture mate, recognise a few faces from my youth. I'm sure Tam Anderson next to Sneddon had a local building firm. Barney, next to the keeper has been well known in Larky for many years. Alan Duff, later joined by his brother Ally, was a long time Jags player too. Played bowls with wee Davy Booth just last week.

Like the background too, you can see the old banked terrace with the ash/sleepers steps. Just a pity the old gasworks appear to be aleady gone.

Thanks for the picture mate, recognise a few faces from my youth. I'm sure Tam Anderson next to Sneddon had a local building firm. Barney, next to the keeper has been well known in Larky for many years. Alan Duff, later joined by his brother Ally, was a long time Jags player too. Played bowls with wee Davy Booth just last week.

Like the background too, you can see the old banked terrace with the ash/sleepers steps. Just a pity the old gasworks appear to be aleady gone.

Agree with FlowGently, the Cumnock Chronicle, and other Ayrshire Weekly Press papers, give very good coverage of the teams in their respective areas.

As far as the national's are concerned, The Scum seems to be slightly better than the Daily Record with their coverage week to week,but, they are both as guilty as each other when they get really interested in Junior football when they think they have some scandal/sensationalism to "report",

The court appearance this week of the idiots who were arrested after the early season Cumnock v Talbot game gave them the chance to dust off the crap they had previously used at the time of the "incident" i.e. riot / pitch battle/ tens of bottle weilding thugs etc, etc is typical of the garbage reporting.

Hugh "useless" Keevins is a perfect example....not at the game to give a first hand report , but, feels he is ideally placed to deliver his verdict on the "game that shamed junior football".

It said in the story in the Record that the "riot" only subsided and was brought under control when the policr horses were sent in........absolute garbage as the "mass brawl" was already over and the pitch cleared before the horses appeared.....massive overreaction by the police commander.

Would also like to put in the following thought......if there was a "mass brawl"......"tens of people fighting on the pitch"......"bottle weilding thugs" or similar things going on.......Why do we always see the same picture in the papers etc...the picture with the 3 idiots, one of whom is swinging a Buckie bottle.

Pleeeeeeeeease, if you can't report things honestly, don't print anything at all , as the small amount you do print is either out of date, incorrect or like the stuff above, sensationalist garbage

Agree with FlowGently, the Cumnock Chronicle, and other Ayrshire Weekly Press papers, give very good coverage of the teams in their respective areas.

As far as the national's are concerned, The Scum seems to be slightly better than the Daily Record with their coverage week to week,but, they are both as guilty as each other when they get really interested in Junior football when they think they have some scandal/sensationalism to "report",

The court appearance this week of the idiots who were arrested after the early season Cumnock v Talbot game gave them the chance to dust off the crap they had previously used at the time of the "incident" i.e. riot / pitch battle/ tens of bottle weilding thugs etc, etc is typical of the garbage reporting.

Hugh "useless" Keevins is a perfect example....not at the game to give a first hand report , but, feels he is ideally placed to deliver his verdict on the "game that shamed junior football".

It said in the story in the Record that the "riot" only subsided and was brought under control when the policr horses were sent in........absolute garbage as the "mass brawl" was already over and the pitch cleared before the horses appeared.....massive overreaction by the police commander.

Would also like to put in the following thought......if there was a "mass brawl"......"tens of people fighting on the pitch"......"bottle weilding thugs" or similar things going on.......Why do we always see the same picture in the papers etc...the picture with the 3 idiots, one of whom is swinging a Buckie bottle.

Pleeeeeeeeease, if you can't report things honestly, don't print anything at all , as the small amount you do print is either out of date, incorrect or like the stuff above, sensationalist garbage

Keevins puts the booot in today in the sunday mail.

Not that i disagree that keevins is a bit of a dick but the only thing im surprised at is that your surprised.

I wasn't at the game either, but by all accounts it seemed a tad mental what happened. Bul21402 – Are you suggesting that this game didnt "same junior football"? or is it just the fact a non "junior" person has said it that annoys you? You also said the "riot" – as if it wasn't a riot. What would rather it be called?.... "a coming to together of great minds"? I think your missing the point totally.

When is the last time you picked up a paper and the headline was "boy helps old lady across road"? Because it doesn't sell papers. So think we need to get real here.

Think we have to take it on the chin and accept that people who weren't at the game are going to have an opinion, and that that opinion is more than likely going to be negative.

I can guarantee you that you yourself and everyone else in this forum forms opinions based entirely what you read in the papers, on a regular basis. But you don't know the entire situation or both sides of the story, but because you don't have any connection to the story you accept what you read and believe it. So I don't think we should all be so precious and think just because its about something we care about that it wont happen when it involves our game.

And as for the comments about the old firm Tynieness, I don't know what you've been reading mate, but after the last old firm "shame game" with Lennon n McCoist "fight" lol, all I read was that the game should be behind closed doors, the cost of it, the rise in violence etc etc. The coverage was over the top, but it was what was being said. So I don't think its one rule for the juniors and another for the seniors. The media will sensationalise a story to sell more papers.

Think you need get real guys.

I think the point is that all the good things (of which there are many) about Junior Football, Talbot and Cumnock the media never reports. When the young Cumnock goalie died both club's and supports were outstanding in their solidarity, did any of the nationals mention it? Yes the nonsense that day was regrettable, but everyone bar none who were there state it could have easily been avoided with more sensible policing. Yet all we got was overblown exaggerated hysteria from the national press, always the same and never fair.

Not that i disagree that keevins is a bit of a dick but the only thing im surprised at is that your surprised.

I wasn't at the game either, but by all accounts it seemed a tad mental what happened. Bul21402 – Are you suggesting that this game didnt "same junior football"? or is it just the fact a non "junior" person has said it that annoys you? You also said the "riot" – as if it wasn't a riot. What would rather it be called?.... "a coming to together of great minds"? I think your missing the point totally.

When is the last time you picked up a paper and the headline was "boy helps old lady across road"? Because it doesn't sell papers. So think we need to get real here.

Think we have to take it on the chin and accept that people who weren't at the game are going to have an opinion, and that that opinion is more than likely going to be negative.

I can guarantee you that you yourself and everyone else in this forum forms opinions based entirely what you read in the papers, on a regular basis. But you don't know the entire situation or both sides of the story, but because you don't have any connection to the story you accept what you read and believe it. So I don't think we should all be so precious and think just because its about something we care about that it wont happen when it involves our game.

And as for the comments about the old firm Tynieness, I don't know what you've been reading mate, but after the last old firm "shame game" with Lennon n McCoist "fight" lol, all I read was that the game should be behind closed doors, the cost of it, the rise in violence etc etc. The coverage was over the top, but it was what was being said. So I don't think its one rule for the juniors and another for the seniors. The media will sensationalise a story to sell more papers.

Think you need get real guys.

I am not upset that a non-junior person has said the things he said, i am purely upset that irresponsible comments don't help the position, they only make it worse. by giving the wee scrote bags involved the reverse kudos they are seeking. i.e. they can show their "mates" the photo in the paper and also show them the irresponsible comments in the paper as some kind of trophy.

As you said, you were not at the game , i was and saw what went on. Yes there were people on the park, i would say 7 or 8 or possibly 10 at most, would you call that a riot. You might feel that is a fair description but, even if you do the statement in the press that there were "dozens of bottle weilding thugs" is certainly wide of the mark, which i think further reinforces the point i made that if there were all these people on the pitch, why do we always see the one single photo all the time.

As far as your statement "The coverage was over the top, but it was what was being said"..........as the song goes..."you say it best when you say nothing at all", so be unlike Keevins, only comment on what you know to be true and not utilising your "intelligence" from such biased, untrue reports.

Final point to ponder.....if it was such a riot, why have the police, SJFA, Ayrshire FA and / or other concerned organisations allowed the subsequent meetings to go ahead without anything other than some beefed up crowd segregation, the basis of which were already being used by Cumnock & Talbot in any case.

The thing about keevins that really does my head in is , if he took an interest and went to some games all year round then he at least he would have some kind of right to form an opinion on things but he doesn't.

In general i think the junior game gets a positive coverage from the media (not including keevins in this ) my only gripe is we don't get enough of it IMO.

Guest Joethistle

To answer the original point, I think we get a very good coverage generally in the national papers now on the game. You need to remember it is a minority sport as well, so to get papers like the Sun and Record covering it is good.

There is also good coverage on web too for followers of the game.

My only grievance is why we dont try and play more games on a Sunday to try and get people who follow senior teams. Think the Junior cup should be Sunday games as they always generate more interest for some reason.

While we can all bleat on about others should do (The Sun and Daily Record in particular), we should start to look at ourselves.

24 hours after a full east programme, can you get match reports, team lines from the websites of the clubs who played? Probably the biggest game was Linlithgow v Camelon and there isn't a sniff of a report.

OK, OK, OK I know it is all done on a voluntary basis, but must be time to broaden out the number of people who are involved. It seems that if the web guru goes on the pis* after the game then there is no report.

And Joe Thistle if you spent half the time you waste on Pie & Bovril helping setup and run a web site for your club, we would all benefit. (I can't even find the Bathgate Thistle website). And then you could turn it into an ego trip for yourself like other 'webmasters' seem to be keen to do. ;) If you want I can handwrite you a Press badge which should get you in for free at all away games.

While we can all bleat on about others should do (The Sun and Daily Record in particular), we should start to look at ourselves.

24 hours after a full east programme, can you get match reports, team lines from the websites of the clubs who played? Probably the biggest game was Linlithgow v Camelon and there isn't a sniff of a report.

OK, OK, OK I know it is all done on a voluntary basis, but must be time to broaden out the number of people who are involved. It seems that if the web guru goes on the pis* after the game then there is no report.

And Joe Thistle if you spent half the time you waste on Pie & Bovril helping setup and run a web site for your club, we would all benefit. (I can't even find the Bathgate Thistle website). And then you could turn it into an ego trip for yourself like other 'webmasters' seem to be keen to do. ;) If you want I can handwrite you a Press badge which should get you in for free at all away games.

were you the guy who was on last year slagging off the rose website and how poor it was ?

btw i thught it was a cracking website

as for keevins he gives his opinion having no interest in the junior game , without even going to one game , thats what does my head in when it comes to keevins. I care about the junior game and at the time i myself went over the top in my reaction to the events. i concede that , and would happily apologise to anyone who felt they wanted one from me .In no way am i similar to keevins he would never apolgise for the comments he has made on the cumnock -talbot saga .

Edited by RobRoyGuy

If there is sod all content about a game that finished 24 hours before, it might be totally cracking but as useful as a chocolate teapot.

Sorry don't agree with that at all . Any match report i read junor senior or whatever , i always read some 2,3, days after the game ,fair enogh you don't want a match report or website updated 5-7 days later but i don't get why it has to be on within 24 hours either to be of use.

Edited by RobRoyGuy

Guest Joethistle

Press guys are all the same bleating on about the games, and you are right they put nothing into the game with their free passes into matches. They never put their money where their mouth is.

I dont have the time to write a website to be honest due to business commitments. Our website is non existent just now for some reason but it was never up to date like a lot of them

lanark now don't have a website either due to guy not having enough time and i guess losing interest in running it

the new clubwebsite.co.uk website that the likes of kilbirnie and renfrew have started to use look really good and there free , far better than the one the likes of ourselves , and largs use , though these team expert website do the job.

Edited by RobRoyGuy