Media Coverage of the Junior Game

RobRoyGuy

Got the Wee Red Book out Burnbank Swifts won the Scottish in 1888-89 &1889-90. Burnbank Athletic won it in 1900-01,1910-11,&1944-45,they also lost the 1927-28 season. My wife reckons I'm really riveting company.

Burnbank is not Hamilton though. Can't think why there 's never been a junior side from there. Possibly too expensive to build a stadium.

Edited by Larky55

If you had read my comments over the weekend, I congratulated the papers on their Junior coverage. Check out the Evening Times on todays date.....Juniors have a great colour pic and match report - better than Partick Jags and others........Record had coverage that I think was transferred from The Sunday Mail -but was still very good.

......and Jim O'Donnell is a 1st class reporter.....[ No Im not a relative or mate - never met him] he is objective and fair, although I think at least one of the Lok free kicks on Saturday was dubious and wasn't commented on ......hey - depends on your perspective........Long live The Evening Times......Well done to the pollok fans who turned out in numbers... well done to the young Peasy fans who sang till the end........Mon the Juniors!

post-35816-0-04237900-1316456915_thumb.j

In my opinion. I think that as time goes on that more and more people will attend junior matches as the Seniors continue to price themselves out the market. If a senior club charges 20 quid to get in then that means that the entertainment should be 4 times that of the juniors. I don't think so. To me there is nothing better than watching a rip-roaring Scottish tie with the players giving 100% for their team. OK the skill level may be slightly less than the SPL but the effort is 10 times the SPL. The future is junior football.

In my opinion. I think that as time goes on that more and more people will attend junior matches as the Seniors continue to price themselves out the market. If a senior club charges 20 quid to get in then that means that the entertainment should be 4 times that of the juniors. I don't think so. To me there is nothing better than watching a rip-roaring Scottish tie with the players giving 100% for their team. OK the skill level may be slightly less than the SPL but the effort is 10 times the SPL. The future is junior football.

i agree with you is great value for money , but the challenge is going to be getting senior fans to leave a club they might have supported for decades , thats not going to be easy no matter how attractive the junior game is .

The more coverage the juniors get in all forms of media the better the chances are of attracting new fans from not just the senior game but elsewhere to.

Long tradition of Ayrshire local papers promoting and reporting their local junior sides and of course sponsoring trophies through the years. Cumnock Chronicle cover Glenafton, Kello , Talbot , Cumnock, Lugar, Muirkirk and Craigmark and have done for many decades.

SPL prices have been sky high for years - has the boom in Junior crowds really happened? Pollok gates have gone down over the last decade.

I agree that once someone goes to a Junior game, they'll be keen to return - but there are many who'll never entertain the notion, and no amount of column inches in the red tops will change that. IMO.

Locally the various Ayrshire papers (Irvine Times/Herald, Ardrossan&Saltcoats Herald etc) provide excellent coverage,

The P&J and Aberdeen Evening Express provide decent coverage locally for the north.

The only two that nationally cover to any extent are the Sun & Record.

I haven't bought the Record recently as I found it vastly inferior to the Sun (it couldn't even manage to print the following weeks fixtures on a Monday).

If I worked for the Record I would take a copy of the Sun on a Monday, Thursday & Saturday. Take the Sun Junior sections to the Record sports department and make them eat it whilst shouting - 'this is what it should look like, its not difficult if these other bams can manage, so get your fingers out'.

The Hub Newspaper gives regular quality coverage to the local junior games. Check the latest edition at http://issuu.com/thehub1/docs/hub_iss-52 covering Lanarkshire. Click on the front page and then to pages18/19.

Click on their Flicr link http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Know they have editions for other areas with similar coverage.

They use Issuu http://issuu.com/explore to hold their various editions. Now that so many junior matchday programmes are available in electronic form, what about creating a group on Issuu so that clubs can upload their programmes??

I bought a daily record in Glasgow city centre and the big write up was the sauchie game , a picture to of the lad scoring .

Does anyone know if the herald cover the juniors ?

The records monday pull out is shocking. they can gie yi english results scorers league tables even foreign!! but if your lookin for scottish juniors results and tables yi can forget it. and why waste what little space given to the juniors on one game and a photie??just gie us the basics- results league tables is that to much to ask????

I'd say we get pretty good media coverage for Wishaw Juniors in our area. The Wishaw Press is great for featuring our match reports, photos and interviews but also gives good coverage to Newmains and Shotts Bon Accord and sometimes Harthill. We also get coverage of our games in The Hub free newspaper which comes out fortnightly. The STV Local website http://local.stv.tv/wishaw/ is also good for coverage too and this gets updated daily and of course we get our fair share of the Hamilton Advertiser coverage. Finally there is always our website at www.wishawjuniors.com we haven't managed to persuade the Motherwell Times to give us coverage so far - time for another go methinks.

The national papers tend only to cover what they think are the top games between the top clubs and no doubt they change the reporting emphasis depending on which regional version of the paper you buy. For some reason that doesn't seem to include us Mmmm :-)

The records monday pull out is shocking. they can gie yi english results scorers league tables even foreign!! but if your lookin for scottish juniors results and tables yi can forget it. and why waste what little space given to the juniors on one game and a photie??just gie us the basics- results league tables is that to much to ask????

Definitely agree with the underlying sentiment but does the SJFA give the major media outlets a statistics package as fast as it can be put together on a Saturday evening? I've had some experience dealing with journalists and a lot of the time if you want to get coverage for something that is of marginal interest to many/most people you need to make their life easy by pretty much giving them the content so all they have to do is cut and paste. I suspect the reason that the Highland League gets a wee bit extra coverage is that they make the effort in that regard complete with the sort of scorers and crowds info that will be provided by the top leagues across the UK.

I would agree you have to be proactive in providing content to the media. Also, when you aren't playing eg if the match is off , you need to give them something to fill the space. It is a two way process, if they know you will definately provide content every week then you can pretty much rely on it being used. If you don't provide regular content don't be surprised if one of your local Amateur sides grabs the headlines.

So far as the national picture is concerned one thing I have noticed is that the Sunday Mail isn't printing league tables this season. There must be a reason for that. I would suggest it might be something to do with the software used for the SFA / SJFA website which makes it very hard to copy and paste the content (as all programme writers will have noticed) . It is in all our interest to make information available in a format which is easy to be used.

Definitely agree with the underlying sentiment but does the SJFA give the major media outlets a statistics package as fast as it can be put together on a Saturday evening? I've had some experience dealing with journalists and a lot of the time if you want to get coverage for something that is of marginal interest to many/most people you need to make their life easy by pretty much giving them the content so all they have to do is cut and paste. I suspect the reason that the Highland League gets a wee bit extra coverage is that they make the effort in that regard complete with the sort of scorers and crowds info that will be provided by the top leagues across the UK.

Well all results and tables are updated pretty quickly on the regional sites on a Saturday

Well all results and tables are updated pretty quickly on the regional sites on a Saturday

Yes but if you try to cut and paste you will find the formatting is all over the place. Fine if all you have to do is sort out your own division table for the next week's programme. However, if you are a busy Sunday paper sub editor or such with a rapidly approaching print deadline and you are faced with formatting 5 division tables for the west methinks they will decide to use fill the space with something easier to access. Just my thoughts.

Has there ever been a magazine out dedicated to the junior game . I am sure around ten years ago before the internet really took off there was one .

There have been a few over the years.

The Game

Mud and Glory

Pyramid News Weekly

Only PNW lasted for any length of time. Pete Smyth still has a website for it - he sometimes posts on here using the name Mick90 or something like that.