Media Coverage of the Junior Game

RobRoyGuy

I was talking to a guy today who said to me that he feels the coverage the junior game gets is fairly poor . I disagreed with him , i think the coverage the junior game gets is on the whole good.

IMO in the last 5-10 years the coverage of the junior game has improved dramatically .We have papers like your glasgow evening times , daily record , the sun , sunday mail , (any other papers out there that provide good junior coverage ? ) etc giving the juniors good coverage (just as long as your ignorant reporters from the senior game stay clear of giving an opinion on the junior game though ).

We have outlets like the juniorsinfo (www.thejuniors.info ) , kicktalk and there junior podcast , twitter , facebook , community radio, video highlights , and improved club websites all promoting and giving good coverage of the junior game IMO .

What's your view on it all though , do you think the coverage the junior game gets is good ?, ok ? or poor?

Also what kind of coverage do your local team get in your local paper (which for me is just as important if not more imprtant than all these other outlets) ? and what more can be done to reach out to people who are unaware of much value for money the junior game is.

As i said i feel the coverage the junior game gets is on the whole is good. Though i do feel the clubs in leagues outside the super premier leagues could get that bit more coverage in your various media outlets .

Edited by RobRoyGuy

I was talking to a guy today who said to me that he feels the coverage the junior game gets is fairly poor . I disagreed with him , i think the coverage the junior game gets is on the whole good.

IMO in the last 5-10 years the coverage of the junior game has improved dramatically .We have papers like your glasgow evening times , daily record , the sun , sunday mail , (any other papers out there that provide good junior coverage ? ) etc giving the juniors good coverage (just as long as your ignorant reporters from the senior game stay clear of giving an opinion on the junior game though ).

We have outlets like the juniorsinfo (www.thejuniors.info ) , kicktalk and there junior podcast , twitter , facebook , community radio, video highlights , and improved club websites all promoting and giving good coverage of the junior game IMO .

What's your view on it all though , do you think the coverage the junior game gets is good ?, ok ? or poor?

Also what kind of coverage do your local team get in your local paper (which for me is just as important if not more imprtant than all these other outlets) ? and what more can be done to reach out to people who are unaware of much value for money the junior game is.

As i said i feel the coverage the junior game gets is on the whole is good. Though i do feel the clubs in leagues outside the super premier leagues could get that bit more coverage in your various media outlets .

According to the sunday mail there is no junior football in the east - every week you see the match reports and there is obviously a forcefield in place before you hit camelon

the edinburgh evening news gives reasonable coverage but when you consider that a lot of the gates clubs get are on a par with the 2nd and 3rd div in scotland I feel the juniors are not given a fair crack of the whip when it comes to media coverage.

Saying that if you support anyone outwith the old firm then you don't get much media coverage

take away juniorsinfo p&b and the evening times which mainly concentrates on the 'big clubs' theres nothing for the smaller clubs. eg glasgow perthshire have done a lot of work to their ground and team doing fantastic on heehaw money i would like to read things like that in the papers ect not constant super league stuff

According to the sunday mail there is no junior football in the east - every week you see the match reports and there is obviously a forcefield in place before you hit camelon

the edinburgh evening news gives reasonable coverage but when you consider that a lot of the gates clubs get are on a par with the 2nd and 3rd div in scotland I feel the juniors are not given a fair crack of the whip when it comes to media coverage.

Saying that if you support anyone outwith the old firm then you don't get much media coverage

Thats a fair point the sunday mail main match report is very rarely from the east which is wrong as i assume the sunday mail is sold in the east to !

I know a young reporter who covers any games at rob roy , petershill , cumbernauld , ashfield , and kilsyth for the sunday mail . He gets told to compile a 100 word match report on the game and phones it into there offices down in London. He gets paid weather or not the match report gets published which sometimes it doesn't as its clear the sunday mail have only one page allocated for the Juniors and they can't publish every match report . Seems daft to send a reporter to a game then never use his match report ! i don't think they would do this to a reporter reporting on a senior game so why do it to a reporter covering the junior game ! .

As i said on the whole i feel the coverage the juniors get is good , but i understand not everyone will feel this way especially when your from the East as you guys i concede don't seem to get the coverage you deserve in the national media.

I remember a time when the highland league seemed to get a lot more coverage in your national newspapers than the juniors now they don't really get a mention.

take away juniorsinfo p&b and the evening times which mainly concentrates on the 'big clubs' theres nothing for the smaller clubs. eg glasgow perthshire have done a lot of work to their ground and team doing fantastic on heehaw money i would like to read things like that in the papers ect not constant super league stuff

thats one thing i commented on john . Teams outside the super premier leagues should get far more coverage ( though it does seem your never out the bloody papers ! you must have a good agent ! ) . It would be interesting to hear how much coverage these so called ' smaller ' teams get in there local area .

What kind of coverage do twood get in your local paper for example jon ? ( btw whats name of local paper out your way ?)

Edited by RobRoyGuy

How many ER Juniors average 500 for league games? or even 400? The divisional averages for those were 702 and 470 last season, with only 4 from the 20 drawing under 400 and none under 300. Only 7 from the 20 drew under 500.

The Rutherglen Reformer gives excellent weekly coverage to both Rutherglen Glencairn and Cambuslang Rangers. Each team gets a full page at least every week, all the match reports since the last edition and an interview with Willie Harvey and Alan Wardlaw. Quite often if there's a big story on the go they get back page coverage and sometimes front page as well.

We have no complaints locally.

The Rutherglen Reformer gives excellent weekly coverage to both Rutherglen Glencairn and Cambuslang Rangers. Each team gets a full page at least every week, all the match reports since the last edition and an interview with Willie Harvey and Alan Wardlaw. Quite often if there's a big story on the go they get back page coverage and sometimes front page as well.

got to agree superb coverage

I have a read at work of the reformer you's do seem to get good coverage glensmad . Are you ok sharing coverage with cambuslang though given there offices are based in rutherglen , can they not get there own paper tongue.gif .

Do they use your excellent match reports glensmad ?

Edited by RobRoyGuy

How many ER Juniors average 500 for league games? or even 400? The divisional averages for those were 702 and 470 last season, with only 4 from the 20 drawing under 400 and none under 300. Only 7 from the 20 drew under 500.

Pollok average around 500 - 600 a game and take around 200+ away from home. Clydebank get a good 350-400 a game and take around 200+ away from home. Irvine meadow get about 350+ at every game and take alot away with them, same with auchinleck, arthurlie, cumnock, bo'ness, linlithgow, and alot of others.

Berwick are nothing special, your support is rather pish poor.

Pollok average around 500 - 600 a game and take around 200+ away from home. Clydebank get a good 350-400 a game and take around 200+ away from home. Irvine meadow get about 350+ at every game and take alot away with them, same with auchinleck, arthurlie, cumnock, bo'ness, linlithgow, and alot of others.

Berwick are nothing special, your support is rather pish poor.

Pollok gates are nowhere near that nowadays sorry bankie . They do get excellent coverage in the evening times . I wonder why wink.gif.

the coverage my own team gets in the local kirky herald is fairly good usually always on the back page with match report inside with wee pic and if something is happening with ground development for example usually decent article in the news pages.

peasy23 petershill always get a wee mention in the kirky herald , is that because the kirky herald is sold in springburn ? i take it the kirky herald is not your local paper and there is a local paper in springburn which covers the peasy far more .

Only when we're having charity matches abandoned because the players are fighting. :P

ohmy.gif shocking !

Edited by RobRoyGuy

don't know as I have a life :P

It took me about 10seconds to Google the figures.

http://www.european-football-statistics.co.uk/attn/avesco.htm

If you don't know whether clubs do average those sort of crowds it's a bit strange to use it as a justification. My view would be that precious few non-league clubs in the East draw anything approaching 300 let alone 400 or 500... some will for big cup-ties, league deciders, a bitter derby or suchlike but that's not an average. Those sort of irregular events also tend to get better than usual coverage from the press.

I find local papers give good coverage - and national press give coverage in line with regional football's profile. SFL itself gets limited coverage, nowadays.

http://www.european-football-statistics.co.uk/attn/avesco.htm

If you don't know whether clubs do average those sort of crowds it's a bit strange to use it as a justification. My view would be that precious few non-league clubs in the East draw anything approaching 300 let alone 400 or 500... some will for big cup-ties, league deciders, a bitter derby or suchlike but that's not an average. Those sort of irregular events also tend to get better than usual coverage from the press.

I find local papers give good coverage - and national press give coverage in line with regional football's profile. SFL itself gets limited coverage, nowadays.

Oh do lighten up man - i'm allowed to make the odd flippant statement about gates as that was my opinion and i thought that was a fact as highlighted by the bankie who gave some figures

also when you look at the third divison in particular those are hardly stellar gates and i reckon my club is on a par with them

Edited by Tynieness

http://www.european-...attn/avesco.htm

I think one thing the juniors is embracing well is other forms of media .Newspaper sales are declining by the year and there will come a point where your online sources of info will overtake the written press . The junior game i feel is embracing other forms of media like i mentioned , twitter , facebook , podcasts , community radio etc more can be done and hopefully more will be done in the future to promote the junior game that way and help get intice more people to games.

Oh do lighten up man - i'm allowed to make the odd flippant statement about gates as that was my opinion and i thought that was a fact as highlighted by the bankie who gave some figures

your going by the bankies figures ? huh.gif

Edited by RobRoyGuy

Like Connolly81 I think The Record could do more. They should employ Scott Camm as I have to buy The Sun on Monday & Saturday.

Times is ok on a Tuesday. Hamilton Advertiser gives a full page but can be inaccurate.

Who do the hamilton advertiser cover larky ? i take it larkhall , lanark , wishaw , carluke ?

The record coverage on a monday is ok . What i would like to see is two main match reports one from east one from west as its good to read whats going on every week in other regions. There coverage on a friday is non existant, and the sun on a thursday used to have a decent junior section but i can never find it anymore so i take it that's been scrapped ?

Edited by RobRoyGuy