A great feeling at Cappielow..

Nail. Head.

The away section at Cappielow has impacted on supporter enjoyment of a game for years, so credit to them for rectifying the issue and giving away supporters a better experience watching their team. This move should be commended not mocked.

I don't think it's being mocked, more a piss take because the only difference appears to be the mesh betting.

I however welcome this move and worship the new mesh netting overlord.

Hope to be able to try it out next season.

Just a quick point seen as Morton fans seem to be pleased wi the new divider.

Are we saying that when Morton took down the old fence from the cowshed that their attitude then to away fans was 'f**k em' we can throw them in the elf stand?

43 minutes ago, Gaz FFC said:

Are we saying that when Morton took down the old fence from the cowshed that their attitude then to away fans was 'f**k em' we can throw them in the elf stand?

Pretty sure that when we took the fence down, our only priority was staying in business.

20 minutes ago, Gaz FFC said:

The old fence from the Cowshed wasn't just pulled down with scant regard for away fans. The Cowshed was ripped to pieces by Hugh Scott, with scant regard for Morton, and under the pretence that a new stand would be erected when, in actual fact, all he was doing was trying to turn Cappielow into what the site of Firs Park is now.

When the Raes took over after administration in 2001, re-opening the Cowshed was top of their agenda, but such was the damage to the front area of it, that putting seating in was the best option so the capacity was reduced.

Erecting a fence was a pretty pointless exercise, as, in the Second and Third Divisions, only Queen of the South, Airdrie and Partick (all for only one season each) really brought crowds that would've made the Cowshed fence worth it. Possibly Ayr and Dumbarton to a lesser extent. By the time we made it up (eventually) that ship had pretty much sailed and the crowds were good enough to justify the whole home support in the shed.

The club have had a pretty lazy attitude towards away fans in the intervening years, amongst other things. Look at the strip fiasco last summer for example. The website was also atrocious until they appointed a guy who's not only good at what he does, but passionate about the club this season as Media and Communications Officer. We've even now got an official Facebook page about eight years after everyone else got one!

It's fair to say there's been a gradual improvement in most departments since relegation in 2014, but it's been small steps. This came about from the findings of the new Supporters' Liaison Officer and his talks with our fans.

I'll try and dig out some old photos of the Cowshed at it's worst, but I'm struggling to find them just now.

5 minutes ago, Toby said:

The old fence from the Cowshed wasn't just pulled down with scant regard for away fans. The Cowshed was ripped to pieces by Hugh Scott, with scant regard for Morton, and under the pretence that a new stand would be erected when, in actual fact, all he was doing was trying to turn Cappielow into what the site of Firs Park is now.

When the Raes took over after administration in 2001, re-opening the Cowshed was top of their agenda, but such was the damage to the front area of it, that putting seating in was the best option so the capacity was reduced.

Erecting a fence was a pretty pointless exercise, as, in the Second and Third Divisions, only Queen of the South, Airdrie and Partick (all for only one season each) really brought crowds that would've made the Cowshed fence worth it. Possibly Ayr and Dumbarton to a lesser extent. By the time we made it up (eventually) that ship had pretty much sailed and the crowds were good enough to justify the whole home support in the shed.

The club have had a pretty lazy attitude towards away fans in the intervening years, amongst other things. Look at the strip fiasco last summer for example. The website was also atrocious until they appointed a guy who's not only good at what he does, but passionate about the club this season as Media and Communications Officer. We've even now got an official Facebook page about eight years after everyone else got one!

It's fair to say there's been a gradual improvement in most departments since relegation in 2014, but it's been small steps. This came about from the findings of the new Supporters' Liaison Officer and his talks with our fans.

I'll try and dig out some old photos of the Cowshed at it's worst, but I'm struggling to find them just now.

Fair play Toby.

Any idea if there have been any repairs to the concrete before opening this section? It was open for our visit in December 2012, and the terrace was in pretty poor condition that day, with quite a few bits of concrete crumbling away. I'm pretty sure I was near the front though, and from the comments above, this might have been the worst bit. How did the cowshed fall into such poor condition during Hugh Scott's time? Did he purposely damage it, or did it just fall into desrepair quickly?

Anyway, this is definitely good news, and makes trips to Cappielow far more appealing. It's not a bad ground at all, but as an away fan who is pretty tall, it was never a nice experience going into that stand, and made it the ground I least liked visiting.

24 minutes ago, TONTROOPER said:

I could take that from an Arab since they've played (and won) there...but from a supporter of a  rudderless ramshackle mob such as your lot...? :thumbsdown

Did you miss the part the other day when VT was comparing - with pictures, but without irony - your ground to Barca's? 

12 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Did you miss the part the other day when VT was comparing - with pictures, but without irony - your ground to Barca's? 

Yes....I was in Barcelona on business.

Edited by TONTROOPER