A great feeling at Cappielow..

Sorry, but Douglas Rae was talking sense from start to finish.

His comments were accurate, explicit and realistic.

Be careful what you wish for. Without Mr Rae, we would not be arguing about "who is to blame".

There would be no club to argue about.

He is perhaps a little tactless in suggesting the fans are to blame, but clearly his comments are bourne purely out of frustration as a fellow supporter.

He simply means that as the fan base decreases - for whatever reason - he has no option other than to cut his cloth as there is less money to spend.

If we earn less money in our jobs, we have less disposable income and have to cut back, that is all he is saying. Simple everyday economics.

He appointed McInally as he earned a great reputation developing the youths at Celtic, Moore had done well at Stirling Albion and Shiels was also welcomed by most of us as a good appointment.

Sometimes things just don't work out.

Time to get behind the boys with unstinting support - and we have a superb support on the whole, the envy of many a team - and do our best to lift them to higher echelons again, starting next season.

Of course we are all disappointed and distraught at the moment, but have faith, starting with a bit of recognition for the time, effort, money and constant support afforded by our chairman.

I can only think that Morti has some familial link to Dougie :unsure:

Dunning makes some very good points but is overly bleak in his assessment I think. Rae indeed played a big part in saving the club (as Dunning says) Cappielow may not be to everyones's liking but it's a hell of a lot better than when he took over and he spent thousands getting it to a habitable state. We've enjoyed one of the best pitches in Scotland for many years - due to the thousands spent on drainage, equipment and not to mention a great groundsman.The progress in the team was slower than we expected ,but for most of the time there was year on year improvement in our league position. Another area where I would take issue with dunning- is that he cannot accept that the fans can have a negative impact on the team. Virtually every manager and player you speak to will tell you otherwise - so I think that 'attitude' is a two way street. ie don't whinge about Dougie lacking tact etc if you feel you can shout whatever you want at the players who may be low on confidence anyway.

Again I cannot argue with quite a lot of your post Dunning, and the Chairman has to accept responsibility for our current position. I fully agree that he should pass the reigns to someone else, but as I said before... Who ?

It's certainly not as black and white as you have suggested.

Pretty sure we've been over this before, but let's be honest, this simply isn't true, is it?

If you take a look at page 105 of this thread, immediately after winning the Renfrewshire Cup, three Morton supporting posters commented on our win, with a picture of a tweet from Dougie Imrie and comments that it was infact a great feeling at Cappielow before you stuck your beak in with;

There was nobody claiming we'd win the league, merely fans enjoying a rare victory against our local rivals, and a victory we were entitled to enjoy in the eyes of I'd suggest everyone other than yourself.

Certainly the origins of this thread came back to bite Foxbarton when we collapsed after a promising start in the late summer of 2011, but claiming the fans were again getting carried away when they dared express how happy they were at winning a local derby smacks of someone looking to pick faults in a group of supporters that he clearly has little time for, and is complete nonsense with no foundation.

http://www.pieandbovril.com/forum/index.php/topic/156756-a-great-feeling-at-cappielow/page-105

Thanks for the link back to earlier in the thread. It made for an entertaining read.

What we find is a little gentle goading from me, very much in line with the spirit of the thread, followed by some disproportionate reaction and some decent discussion.

Really nothing to get too fired up about.

This notion that I've "little time for" Morton supporters is downright daft though. Stay on the link for a few more pages and you'll see how chuffed I was for you in the wake of the Celtic result. Confusing the sport to be had by rival fans on this thread with a sense of genuine contempt is to miss the point by a mile.

Anyway, the Rae remarks are truly ridiculous. He's absolutely wrong to attack the support and while his comments about Shiels and O'Connor might be accurate, he certainly shouldn't be the one making them in public.

To be honest, he just sounds like a very old man.

Shiels claiming Rae's words were distorted and that's just typical of the Scottish media for you. Aye, I'm sure the Greenock Telegraph would jeopardise it's relationship with Morton by spinning it out of all proportion.

Shiels claiming Rae's words were distorted and that's just typical of the Scottish media for you. Aye, I'm sure the Greenock Telegraph would jeopardise it's relationship with Morton by spinning it out of all proportion.

Kenny Shiels is clearly ill and his comments should not be ridiculed.

When did Shiels say this?

If true, Shiels is even more full of wind and piss than usual. Was Rae misquoted? If not, it's difficult to see how you could misconstrue those words. It was pretty clear that he thinks Shiels and O'Connor are both mistakes, that'll he'll shortly need to be shot of.

In fairness to Shiels, short of blanking the question entirely there's not really much else he can say. It's total pish of course, but short of having a go at Rae in response and escalating it further, that's the kind of nonsense he has to come out with if he wants to continue managing the club. Rae has put him in an impossible position.

When did Shiels say this?

If true, Shiels is even more full of wind and piss than usual. Was Rae misquoted? If not, it's difficult to see how you could misconstrue those words. It was pretty clear that he thinks Shiels and O'Connor are both mistakes, that'll he'll shortly need to be shot of.

Sportsound last night - it will be on the BBC website.

In fairness to Shiels, short of blanking the question entirely there's not really much else he can say. It's total pish of course, but short of having a go at Rae in response and escalating it further, that's the kind of nonsense he has to come out with if he wants to continue managing the club. Rae has put him in an impossible position.

He could have side stepped it or dealt with it in many ways. Turning it into an attack on the integrity of a media he is/was happy to be part of for some dosh is what shows he isn't in step with reality.