A great feeling at Cappielow..

I've been out of circulation for a while. When I last looked - the Raith, Dundee, Falkirk, and Ayr United fans hated us. Now we are at war with Queen of the South apparently. Some lad that VT... causing more bother than Archduke Ferdinand it appears. :unsure2:

I've been out of circulation for a while. When I last looked - the Raith, Dundee, Falkirk, and Ayr United fans hated us. Now we are at war with Queen of the South apparently. Some lad that VT... causing more bother than Archduke Ferdinand it appears. :unsure2:

I don't think there is any resentment, well certainly not from me anyway. To be honest VT makes me chuckle with his ways and I encourage him to keep it up. It was Queens yesterday, it will be the likes of Dumbarton or Falkirk to get the ' VT treatment' tomorrow with the predictable hilarious consequences.

This is fun!

Queen of the South v Morton head to head

Interestingly both teams have won 15 games each at Palmerston with us winning 12 to Morton’s 10 at Cappielow.

I expect us to improve our head to head figures this season.

The most interesting part of your 'Fun with Facts' rip-off is how few matches have been played between the sides. Part of that is due to Queen of the South not being formed until 1919, but can you guess what the other reason could be?

It's a toughie.

I like Fun With Facts.

I like how VT gets to determine the timespan to be considered.

I like how it enables him to look ridiculous without any help from anyone else.

Oh, so you would like us to consider the entire time-span of both clubs?

Turkeys in voting enthusiastically for Christmas shock. It's time for a 'Fun with Facts' double-header.

Morton v Queen of the South - The 'Fun With Facts'' 'Top Trumps' Guide:

Significant trophy wins: Morton 1 QoS 0

Top flight league points: Morton 1612 QoS (snigger) 565

First Division league points: Morton 2036 QoS 1658

All-time league points: Morton 4087 QoS 3200

First Division Title wins: Morton 6 QoS 1

Seasons in the top flight: Morton 54 QoS 20

Seasons in the seaside leagues: Morton 7 QoS 22

So, to recap: Morton have a hugely significant trophy to their name, the 8th highest points total of any side in Scottish football, have been promoted a record number of times, many more title wins, hugely more seasons spent in the top flight and top flight points, whereas Queen of the South have spent many more seasons slumming it in the seaside leagues. Gee - just as well Fun With Facts was being selective with the dates, as the full picture clearly gives Monkey Tennis some credibility!

But not really.

Forever living in our shadow.

greggy.png

Not to mention the utter humiliation of a visit to the third division for good measure. You will of course note Queens have never suffered that particular embarrassment.

On closer inspection we find Morton have spent six of those 13 seasons at the seaside, one of them of course was in the third (a league Queens have never played in) when Morton claimed a record crowd for the 'last' game of the season.

'Fun with Facts'' fun fact check: in compiling the above, thoroughly embarrassing dossier of your club's abject failure, it came to light that Queen of the South actually spent two seasons in the Scottish Third Division, from 1923-1925. A league in which they battled it out with giants such as, erm, Nithsdale Wanderers, Solway Star (I'm not making these names up), Lochgelly United, Helensburgh, Peebles and everyone's favourite village diddy team: Brechin 'City'.

Even more embarrassingly, Queen of the South were only promoted on goal average ahead of erm, Solway Star: being pipped to the title by the galacticos that are Nithsdale Wanderers.

So to recap:

Seasons spent in the Third Division: Morton 1 (winners, record division crowd in the process) Queen of the South 2 (losers).

Unlucky.

greggy.png

Edited by vikingTON

So, to recap: Morton have a hugely significant trophy to their name, the 8th highest points total of any side in Scottish football, have been promoted a record number of times, many more title wins, hugely more seasons spent in the top flight and top flight points, whereas Queen of the South have spent many more seasons slumming it in the seaside leagues. Gee - just as well Fun With Facts was being selective with the dates, as the full picture clearly gives Monkey Tennis some credibility!

But not really.

Posted Image

Just a couple of nit picking points, are you taking into account that Morton were admitted into the league 30 years before queens and their sole triumph happened the year before queens were admitted, the subsequent drought is a interesting coincidence.

Also by the virtue of being the most promoted surely Morton will be up there in the most relegations?

So we can agree that Queen's natural position is the 1st division, going on average league placing over time?

No: this is incorrect. Queen of the South spent more seasons in the old Second Division (before reconstruction in the 1970s) then they did in the top flight (First Division, 18 teams). Since reconstruction, Queen of the South have spent 20 seasons in the seaside leagues, compared to 17 in the First Division.

The facts show then that Queen of the South are at best a sad Ayr United figure bouncing around pointlessly between two lower leagues, with no success or prospect of success to their name.

Unlucky.

Just a couple of nit picking points, are you taking into account that Morton were admitted into the league 30 years before queens and their sole triumph happened the year before queens were admitted, the subsequent drought is a interesting coincidence.

Also by the virtue of being the most promoted surely Morton will be up there in the most relegations?

I've already covered several modern bitch-slapping points earlier: Monkey Tennis asked for the full history, he received the full history. 'Fun with Facts' isn't responsible for any tears, snotters or mewling deflection that occurs as a result of its facts.

Morton are not the most relegated side in Scotland, no. Even so, the overwhelming majority of Morton's changes have been from the top flight to the second tier, and back - as our six First Division titles show.

Edited by vikingTON

Number of years spent in a division is a terrible way of deciding if someone is "seaside league" as it doesn't take into account that there are other clubs doing the same thing unless you compare time spent in each divison of all the teams and come up with a list.

Since reconstruction in 1975, if we use the current teams and consider Airdie, Livi and Rangers as contiuations of now defunct teams going on average league placing over this period the tables look like this. Giving the teams that were outside the league setup during some of the period a weighting of "43" for those seasons.

Though this makes it look like Queen's are just in due to ICT and Ross County being held back by being new to the setup, we should look at something fairer when the current 4 division set up came in before the 1994 season. As I am sure you agree that it's not going to hold back the clubs who came in since in Elgin and Anna as they have never been out the 3rd and the only club it holds back is maybe Peterhead.

Queen's still forcing their way into the top 22 clubs in the country, personally I think this proves Queen's are quite clearly not seaside league.....

I think you have to realise that, no matter what you say or how sensible it is, VT always has to have the last word. Its a strange combination of his ego and personal insecurities!

He is right though that Morton overall are higher up the all time rankings in Scottish football than Queens although clearly each team has had periods of superiority over the other.

Edited by Tonsilitis

Number of years spent in a division is a terrible way of deciding if someone is "seaside league"

No: it's the fairest and least mewling method of doing so. 20 seasons in the seaside league since 1975 = seaside league team.

Unlucky.

Same tired old shite I've been reading on here for years, close season tedium.

Mirror mirror on the wall, who is the diddiest of them all?

He needs something to distract him from the fact that he's studying Social Sciences,outdated ones but Social Sciences nonetheless.

Edited by ayrmad

But not really.

greggy.png

Of course we're sort of in Morton's shadow historically. They come from a bigger town in a more populous area and have been around for longer.

I actually enjoy these efforts to prove it though. They reek of such towering insecurity, but they're also well researched, well structured and well written.

Mentallist though VT clearly is, he's great to read if you've spent too long taunting Rangers fans on their threads.

Long Live VT!

Of course we're sort of in Morton's shadow historically.

Sort of? Is the Sun 'sort of' bigger than the Earth in your relativistically challenged universe?

It's clear, empirical fact, on a considerable scale. So take that into consideration next time you're slithering onto this thread to 'laugh': only to see your side relegated in the process. Then perhaps it'll be less embarrassing for you.

Of course we're sort of in Morton's shadow historically. They come from a bigger town in a more populous area and have been around for longer.

I actually enjoy these efforts to prove it though. They reek of such towering insecurity, but they're also well researched, well structured and well written.

Mentallist though VT clearly is, he's great to read if you've spent too long taunting Rangers fans on their threads.

Long Live VT

I also enjoy reading VT's arguments and putdowns, He is a great antagonist and he'll still get bites until he decides to resign or dies suddenly.

No, the scale is such that 'sort of' is an appropriate term to use.

'Sort of' suggests that their is an element of similarity and/or doubt about the comparison. Fun with Facts has shown that there can be no such doubts. Queen of the South have and forever will live in our long, cold, dark shadow,

Edited by vikingTON

'Sort of' suggests that their is an element of similarity and/or doubt about the comparison. Fun with Facts has shown that there can be no such doubts. Queen of the South have and forever will live in our long, cold, dark shadow,

Fun with Facts has indeed been fun. It has indeed established that Morton has historically enjoyed more success/status than Queen.

However, Fun with Facts has failed to establish that this will "forever" remain the case, especially given that during the current century, Queens has been superior.