Fort William

CityDave

• 3 months later...

12-1 defeat yesterday to Brora Rangers.

How much longer can the club go on?.

Goaltastic! Why are Fort William so shit? What population does Fort William and the surrounding area have?

Small, and more interested in shinty. Most of those who do play football have to leave the area for work when they leave school. They have to find a way of recruiting players from places like Inverness. Plenty of other HL players live a fair distance from their teams.

• 1 year later...

I was at the game v Clach today as a couple of my pals play for Fort. They were second best for pretty much all of the game but really dug deep to come out with a deserved victory against a very wasteful Clach side. Cracking free kick to open the scoring for Fort and they held firm against Clach who struggled to create anything on a very boggy pitch. Fort might have had a penalty when the ball clearly hit a hand that was thrown up in the air to block a header from a corner but I can inly assume that the referee was not sure who the hand belonged to to award the penalty as nothing was given.

However, in the second half, Clach equalised as Fort struggled to clear a corner. The ball ricocheted in the box before being poked home at the back post. After that Clach should have gone on to win the game but their finishing was rotten. Their best chance came when the number eleven skinned 3 or 4 Fort players but blazed wildly over from a few yards out. Clach were unlucky not to be awarded a penalty when one of the Fort William players chopped down a Clach player but the referee inexplicably waved play on. Not long after that Fort William scored an odd goal. One of the Fort players gathered a ball close to the edge of the box and played a simple pass towards goal which somehow rolled into the next. Mass celebrations from Fort William (see attached picture) after the goal and at the final whistle. They've got Formartine next so it is unlikely they will make it five but I believe the earlier fixture was a tight affair with Formartine edging it 2-1 so who knows.

post-301-0-41348500-1420323940_thumb.png

Apparently so. This was actually their first game since November today so they must have been lacking a bit of match sharpness.

They also, like a few other teams I suspect, have players who have commitments at this time of year which mean they are less likely to be available for games on a Saturday afternoon. Apparently they have players coming from Skye to play for them :o

Oh man, there was a documentary about that. Might still be online to find.

They interviewed locals in pubs etc. and they were split between enthusiastic youngsters and cynical grumps.

Can't remember if they were going to change the name to Fort William Highlanders or something like that, but there was a definite plan to have a bunch of Americans invest, and bring over a squad of college players to fill the team, and hopefully progress in the game from there.

I do remember the idea of a score of young athletic Americans did go down quite well with a certain demographic in the programme. They actually had a website up and running too with their plans for domination detailed thereon.

Oh man, there was a documentary about that. Might still be online to find.

They interviewed locals in pubs etc. and they were split between enthusiastic youngsters and cynical grumps.

Can't remember if they were going to change the name to Fort William Highlanders or something like that, but there was a definite plan to have a bunch of Americans invest, and bring over a squad of college players to fill the team, and hopefully progress in the game from there.

I do remember the idea of a score of young athletic Americans did go down quite well with a certain demographic in the programme. They actually had a website up and running too with their plans for domination detailed thereon.

The website is still there but hasn't been updated in ages - http://americasteamfc.com/?page_id=2

Looks like the idea is dead in the water.

The locals didn't give a shite because no one in Fort William at the time gave a shite about Fort William.

Most Highland League punters saw through it though.

It was all set up and ready to go - it's not long since Fort were seen wearing 'Americas Team' tracksuits provided by the programmes producers - but they couldn't find a channel to broadcast it on. Think the college players would live in Glasgow and commute for games. Don't think anyone provided those willing to do so with a map.

Archived