Deadly enemies ?

Bul21402

I Just thought i would put a bit on P & B regarding the positive side of the Cumnock v Talbot issue that was discussed widely on here and many other sites etc over the last few months.

I am helping organise the events to celebrate Cumnock Juniors centenary season in 2012 , which are running from June this year through to end of 2012. to put a clearer picture of the actual relationship both these teams have with each other is illustrated by the fact that many Talbot supporters and commitee have offered their help with the organising of the various events and also the planning and admin chores around these.

I would like to thank, in particular, Jim Purdie & Stevie McCarron who both freely gave up their time to advise us of how to go about certain aspects of the planning etc which they had experienced when they organised similar things when Talbot celebrated their centenary. This assistance and advice was offered by these folk themselves without having to be asked and is greatly appreciated.

This is just another example of how these "deadly enemies" can, and regularly do, step forward to help each other when the need arises. The great gestures of help and assistance when we lost our great servant Graeme Potter so tragically a couple of years ago is further testament to the real situation between the clubs. ( great thanks were due to Talbot Legend Kenny Paterson for his help at that time by raising a massive sum for the Pottsy fund)

As you can see, the Cumnock /Talbot relationship is not all about riot police/ horses and fighting, it is about communities who will stand up to help each other in time of need and the guys on both commitees, and both lots of real supporters, won't stand back and see our great clubs brought down by a very small minority who cause trouble and have no interest in the unique relationship the clubs have.

Nothing much will change with our great love/ hate relationship insofar as we will keep slagging them off and they will do similar with us and long may that continue and , once again, heartfelt thanks to the guys on the Talbot commitee for their help.

As a boay I was fed on a diet of Dennis Gray, Geordie Rattray and Gavin Goudie (ma faither) with Billy Bentley, Eddie Flynn and of course Boaby McCulloch battling it out to huge crowds crammed on massive bankings constructed from pit waste. It was fabulous, there was nothing else like it in the world. I absolutely hated Cumnock but loved the games and intense atmosphere that would build up all week in the pits and factories that made the place thrive then. But the rivalry was always confined to the game and these guys who supported the two teams would regularly team up on a Saturday night for a pint and much deprecation, they worked with each other down a hell hole for God sake. Glad to see that this comradery is still alive despite the death of industry which devastated the area. Here's to these to clubs, the most famous in the grade and a fitting legacy to a proud past. Would love to see Cumnock strong again, so long as we pump them and win all and sundry, most of the time!:D

Its nice hearing Talbot fans wishing us all the best and some geniuine wishes that we were playing better and challenging for trophies. As that looks a wee bit away how about Talbot being pish for a while then we can be top dogs for a change.

First class post sir,I'd like to add my good wishes to you all in what I hope will be a very successfull centenary year,and I hope that it generates a huge interest in the community and kicks off a renewed interest in your club to a large number of new and youthfull supporters for the next hundred years. nice to see ''Pansy''getting a mention,we lift his name often in respectfull,if not fond, remembrance,he was some keeper.I'll be absent on the 3rd,family holiday,and it'll cost me hair relying on my utterly unreliabe friends to keep me updated.All the worst for then, and all the best for your celebrations then,ya Scumnock basturts!

As a boay I was fed on a diet of Dennis Gray, Geordie Rattray and Gavin Goudie (ma faither) with Billy Bentley, Eddie Flynn and of course Boaby McCulloch battling it out to huge crowds crammed on massive bankings constructed from pit waste. It was fabulous, there was nothing else like it in the world. I absolutely hated Cumnock but loved the games and intense atmosphere that would build up all week in the pits and factories that made the place thrive then. But the rivalry was always confined to the game and these guys who supported the two teams would regularly team up on a Saturday night for a pint and much deprecation, they worked with each other down a hell hole for God sake. Glad to see that this comradery is still alive despite the death of industry which devastated the area. Here's to these to clubs, the most famous in the grade and a fitting legacy to a proud past. Would love to see Cumnock strong again, so long as we pump them and win all and sundry, most of the time!:D

Isa, you missed a trick here. If only you'd thrown in bit about a boy with short trousers and a flat cap pushing a bike up a cobbled brae to deliver Hovis you would have been a contender for this year's Catherine Cookson prize for romantic literature. You're slipping. :rolleyes:

say one thing about both clubs, they both give you a warm welcome as a visiting fan, having met the committee's of talbot and cumnock they are top men (and women) and the love for their clubs is clear. All the best to Cumnock for the centenary.

I can only agree with wintonfan, havin travelled on a few occasions from Fife, twice as a neutral to see a Scottish tie finished, it's a fantastic atmosphere at Cumnock and Auchinleck. Good luck to both clubs especially Cumnock in their centenary year!

Please note, any picture of my good self and Isabel Goudie enjoying a wee cup of Earl Grey and a cupcake is strictly copyright and should note be published on here without our express permisiion

Hang the consequences...gie me mair o' that Banter

Isa, you missed a trick here. If only you'd thrown in bit about a boy with short trousers and a flat cap pushing a bike up a cobbled brae to deliver Hovis you would have been a contender for this year's Catherine Cookson prize for romantic literature. You're slipping. :rolleyes:

Aye Vambo, but ye'll never catch me taking it too far. Whit aboot big Geordie Grozart in the 70s gon up Kirk Brae oan the Co-op bike wae a basket load owe plain breed?;)

Archived