Dota 2

banana

Not a peep about this upcoming game (nor it's predecessor) in the forum. Pretty astounding as there are c.30 million players of the original version worldwide (more than WoW, CoD, <insert popular big name game here>) and this beta tournament offers the biggest single tourney prize in eSports history ($1million to the winner)! Why noone plays in the UK?!?!

Dota-Allstars-Map2.png

The basic premise is two sides on opposite corners of the map trying to destroy each others pre-built base buildings (blue dots on map). It's 5 players against 5 other players, each player in control of one hero (they choose from a pool of over 100 heroes) with spells and shit. To help the heroes attack the opposition base, waves of 'creeps' (allied mobs of dudes, controlled by the AI) are sent out every 30 seconds to attack through all of the three main lanes on the map (in red on the above map). Each side also has stationary towers (purple dots on map) to help defend their base and their lane.

Heroes level up by killing shit and buy more and more powerful items also by killing shit to earn gold to spend.

At the most basic level, it's a base attack / defence game. In reality it's a game of intense teamwork, individual skill, strategy and timing.

Dota 2 beta tourney game example, watch in 720 fullscreen:

Edited by banana

• 8 months later...

So Dota 2 is still in closed beta, yet already almost topping the Steam 'most played' charts. Utterly remarkable for a game still in closed beta. Its 2nd million dollar first prize tourney a few months away. And still not a peep in this forum.

What is it with British gamers and the blinkers to this and RTS genres? unsure.gif

Edited by banana

• 4 months later...

The International 2 on right now, 16 teams fighting for a $1.6m prize pool, $1m to the winner (biggest in eSports history, again).

Crowd going bananas at a particularly insane play during a game yesterday:

And that moment in-game, which you've probably no idea what's going on. Basically, the 5-hero team coming from the river were expected to rape the other 5-hero team in that particular backstab ploy. The other team not only survived, they made a teamwipe themselves, while coming out with full HP:

Finals streaming live today at http://www.own3d.tv/TheInternational

Edited by banana

The International 2 on right now, 16 teams fighting for a $1.6m prize pool, $1m to the winner (biggest in eSports history, again).

Crowd going bananas at a particularly insane play during a game yesterday:

And that moment in-game, which you've probably no idea what's going on. Basically, the 5-hero team coming from the river were expected to rape the other 5-hero team in that particular backstab ploy. The other team not only survived, they made a teamwipe themselves, while coming out with full HP:

Finals streaming live today at http://www.own3d.tv/TheInternational

And you wonder why no-one plays it :P

And you wonder why no-one plays it :P

On the contrary, it's one of the most played games in the world. Far more people play it than for example Call of Duty.

Massive in Asia, big on the European mainland, Russia (and the old Soviet countries) and in the Americas. Just no fcuker in UK seems to play it for some reason O_o

The learning curve is huge, granted :P

Edited by banana

• 4 months later...

Fucking right the learning curve is huge. I've start playing it over the last week and I still struggle to hold my own unless playing as a support to one of my mates who are all better than me. I've watched a few tourney matches as well and the knowledge of everyone involved is just immense.

Movesets, strengths, weaknesses, item combos, possible tactics and when to deploy them.. It's an absolute mass of information to take in considering there now must be bordering on 100 heroes.

If anyone was in my boat though thinking it looked very WoW and didn't much fancy trying it I would definitely recommend giving it a go considering it's free to play. Largely addictive and demanding game.

I watched one game last night which was the best I've seen between favourites EG (ranked 5th in the world) vs Fnatic (27th). Good back and forth game that looked like EG had it sewn up after about 20 minutes. But Fnatic came back superbly and defending like muthafuckers near the end and despite massively trailing in gold and experience the game lasted about an hour. Epic stuff and the level those guys play at is just incomprehensible.

Consider me a newly made fan.

A certain baseball game often has a $1M dollar prize for the first player who can pitch a perfect game, on the hardest difficulty setting.

Fucking right the learning curve is huge. I've start playing it over the last week and I still struggle to hold my own unless playing as a support to one of my mates who are all better than me. I've watched a few tourney matches as well and the knowledge of everyone involved is just immense.

Movesets, strengths, weaknesses, item combos, possible tactics and when to deploy them.. It's an absolute mass of information to take in considering there now must be bordering on 100 heroes.

If anyone was in my boat though thinking it looked very WoW and didn't much fancy trying it I would definitely recommend giving it a go considering it's free to play. Largely addictive and demanding game.

I watched one game last night which was the best I've seen between favourites EG (ranked 5th in the world) vs Fnatic (27th). Good back and forth game that looked like EG had it sewn up after about 20 minutes. But Fnatic came back superbly and defending like muthafuckers near the end and despite massively trailing in gold and experience the game lasted about an hour. Epic stuff and the level those guys play at is just incomprehensible.

Consider me a newly made fan.

Finally! :D

This is essential reading to get you going a bit more: http://www.purgegame...o-dota-you-suck

I've been playing for 4+ years and have played with and against a number of pros, not looking particularly out of place. But yes, pro teams on their game is a different level. Check out the G-1 League season 2 replays from the last month for some very top level pro play from Asia (

).

EDIT: fixed youtube link

Edited by banana

Massive in Asia, big on the European mainland, Russia (and the old Soviet countries) and in the Americas. Just no fcuker in UK seems to play it for some reason O_o

Don't forget Scandinavia.

Edited by Liam.

Started getting into this with a few mates. Only played two games, lost the first and won our second. We're all gradually learning the wee parts, using voice chat on steam makes it decent to go about ganking people. Sand King's epicenter is the daddy for when you've got too much creep. Really good mid/end game.

Speaking of end games I've watched a few pro games and Phantom Lancer is a beast in the end game. Pretty much stays out of trouble and sends in an army of duplicates to wipe everyone out. Unstoppable with the right gear.

I'll need to give that a try at some point. Me and my mates are just working along the lines of stuns-gankers at the moment, for the simple reason that a lot of people will go on a team where one person usually doesn't have voice chat. Had some brilliant saves last night with sand king with my mate.

Got a free pass to play this a while back, the thing I find hardest is the item builds right now but I don't play it that much. Also having every character available makes it hard as well.

I play League of Legends a lot more now though. It's good seeing the pros play it, you can pick up quite a bit from them.

Won't be long before these games are getting broadcast on tv, massive audiences watch the tournaments in both of these games.

Speaking of end games I've watched a few pro games and Phantom Lancer is a beast in the end game. Pretty much stays out of trouble and sends in an army of duplicates to wipe everyone out. Unstoppable with the right gear.

I'm slowly mastering Phantom Lancer now and trying different builds to fit the current game. Definitely my favourite hero so far.

Anyone wanting to try this give me a shout, I have 15 spare keys for the game and no one to give them to!

I'm slowly mastering Phantom Lancer now and trying different builds to fit the current game. Definitely my favourite hero so far.

Anyone wanting to try this give me a shout, I have 15 spare keys for the game and no one to give them to!

I've downloaded the game but just have spectator mode enabled atm. I'm assuming one of these keys will give me full access to the game? Throw one my way if so please, would like to try it out for real.

I've downloaded the game but just have spectator mode enabled atm. I'm assuming one of these keys will give me full access to the game? Throw one my way if so please, would like to try it out for real.

What's your Steam name? Will send you an invite.