Dota 2

banana

On 06/04/2020 at 18:49, Williboss said:

Does anyone here still play Dota 2? I grew up with a friend, he told me that Dota is already an old game, I want to prove its opposite, that it is still very popular.

Yes. And it is old that's why they patch it all the time and add new shit. But it's also still really popular with nearly a million peak players a day.

On 06/04/2020 at 18:49, Williboss said:

Does anyone here still play Dota 2? I grew up with a friend, he told me that Dota is already an old game, I want to prove its opposite, that it is still very popular.

I still play, plenty do, its almost always the second most played game concurrently on Steam behind Counter Strike 

edit: It is an old game though, Dota has been around for 15 years ago this point but then Counter Strike started in the 90's, there was a fall in the player numbers around the turn of the year but they have grown since thanks partly to the lockdown 

Edited by Doctor

• 8 months later...

Is there any point trying to get into this if you've never ever played it?

Time is ata premium for me, I cam play quite often but sessions tend to be short - how long does one match take? 

Edited by madwullie

6 hours ago, madwullie said:

Is there any point trying to get into this if you've never ever played it?

Time is ata premium for me, I cam play quite often but sessions tend to be short - how long does one match take? 

I'd still say yes. It'll probably take months to feel like you know what you're supposed to be doing but there are loads of ways to practice.

Turbo mode is the best shout both for learning the game and taking up the least time. You get levels and gold at twice the speed, the enemy buildings have less health and it basically gives everyone a taste of late game items and you can try stuff out. Generally a turbo game will never take more than 30 mins.

If you can't guarantee 30 mins for a game then you can practice vs bots, they can still be a challenge up to a point but the advantages here are just that you can practice your own mechanics with different heroes and you can stop at any point, whereas you'll be penalised if you abandon an online game.

Other than that there's loads of content online and there's much to be learned from watching the pros on twitch etc.

I used to play for 3 or 4 hours a day but like you I don't have much time these days so I tend to jump on for a couple of turbo games with one of my mates, the game is still fantastic.

• 7 months later...
14 hours ago, Chefki Kuqi said:

Just bumping to see if there's much reaction, been playing a fair bit recently and been having a right old crack. 

Aye I'm still playing away fairly regularly. Still enjoying it.

I'm also looking at getting tickets to the International in Romania this year if I can get them. 

On 02/08/2021 at 10:23, GiGi said:

Aye I'm still playing away fairly regularly. Still enjoying it.

I'm also looking at getting tickets to the International in Romania this year if I can get them. 

Ah is TI on this year, maybe later in the year? I heard it was just Nemistice or something. Think I'd definitely go if it was in the UK, but genuinely really enjoyed watching tournament streams especially when Pyrion Flax was still hosting, not sure if he still is?

I play at a fairly low level myself, was 3k  MMR like 7 years ago but I don't bother with ranked anymore. Having said that, either Cavern Crawl or genuine curiosity has got me playing more heroes recently, under the impression that AA with aghs and Batrider with shard and maxing napalm/flamebreak first are fairly OP. Ogre too with the multi-midas!

8 minutes ago, Chefki Kuqi said:

Ah is TI on this year, maybe later in the year? I heard it was just Nemistice or something. Think I'd definitely go if it was in the UK, but genuinely really enjoyed watching tournament streams especially when Pyrion Flax was still hosting, not sure if he still is?

I play at a fairly low level myself, was 3k  MMR like 7 years ago but I don't bother with ranked anymore. Having said that, either Cavern Crawl or genuine curiosity has got me playing more heroes recently, under the impression that AA with aghs and Batrider with shard and maxing napalm/flamebreak first are fairly OP. Ogre too with the multi-midas!

It's in October, was only announced about a month ago so aye it's going ahead. 

I play a lot of fighty position 3/4 heroes so plenty of Gyro, Lina, Tidehunter etc. I don't do a lot of playmaker stuff but when I do it's void spirit. 

Prefer to just mash the enemies up in the early game and then let them beat themselves. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ticket sales cancelled, no fans allowed and the country is going into lockdown so my holiday plans are gubbed. My disappointment is immeasurable etc. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Return to an arena this weekend for the latter stages of the Stockholm major.

Still raging that the international tickets were binned.