Longest since last meeting between two Scottish clubs

Adamski

The only clubs I can't remember us playing since I started following United in 1990 are brechin and Albion rovers, although we have played brechin in the forfarshire cup.

Having checked my history of United book it looks like we haven't played Albion rovers since 1959/60.

I don't think we have ever played Elgin, peterhead or Annan.

Edited by invergowrie arab

The only clubs I can't remember us playing since I started following United in 1990 are brechin and Albion rovers, although we have played brechin in the forfarshire cup.

Having checked my history of United book it looks like we haven't played Albion rovers since 1959/60.

I don't think we have ever played Elgin, peterhead or Annan.

United beat Albion Rovers in a Cup tie in 62/3. There was a big freeze that winter and think this was the game where you got the Arabs nickname as pitch was covered in sand to make it playable. Was at the game.

• 4 weeks later...

In a similar vein. It got me thinking about how many clubs Gretna / Gretna '08 have played since the old Gretna were elected into Scottish Football in 2002.

These are all clubs that the old and new Gretna have played at least once in official competitions in the last 12 years. I make it 77 and I have seen almost all of them in at least one of the matches played.

Abbey Vale

Aberdeen

Airdrie United

Albion Rovers

Alloa Athletic

Ayr United

Berwick Rangers

Berwick Rangers EOS

BSC Glasgow

Celtic

Civil Service Strollers

Clyde

Coldstream

Cove Rangers

Cowdenbeath

Craigroyston

Creetown

Crichton

Dalbeattie Star

Derry City

Dumbarton

Dundee

Dundee United

Duns

East Fife

East Kilbride

East Stirlingshire

Easthouses Lily

Edinburgh City

Elgin City

Eyemouth United

Falkirk

Fleet Star

Forfar Athletic

Gala Fairydean

Gala Fairydean Rovers (merged but is it officially a different club??)

Greenock Morton

Hamilton Academical

Hawick Royal Albert

Heart of Midlothian

Heriot-Watt University

Heston Rovers

Hibernian

Inverness Caledonian Thistle

Kelso United

Kilmarnock

Leith Athletic

Livingston

Lothian Thistle Hutchison Vale

Mid-Annandale

Montrose

Motherwell

Ormiston

Partick Thistle

Peebles

Peterhead

Preston Athletic

Queen of the South

Queen's Park

Raith Rovers

Rangers

Ross County

Selkirk

Spartans

St Cuthbert Wanderers

St Johnstone

St Mirren

Stenhousemuir

Stirling Albion

Stirling University

Stranraer

Threave Rovers

Tynecastle

University of Edinburgh

University of Stirling

Vale of Leithen

Whitehill Welfare

Edited by Cicero

In a similar vein. It got me thinking about how many clubs Gretna / Gretna '08 have played since the old Gretna were elected into Scottish Football in 2002. These are all clubs that the old and new Gretna have played at least once in official competitions in the last 14 years. I make it 77 and I have seen almost all of them in at least one of the matches played. Abbey ValeAberdeenAirdrie UnitedAlbion RoversAlloa AthleticAyr UnitedBerwick Rangers Berwick Rangers EOSBSC GlasgowCelticCivil Service StrollersClydeColdstreamCove RangersCowdenbeathCraigroystonCreetownCrichtonDalbeattie StarDerry CityDumbartonDundeeDundee UnitedDunsEast FifeEast KilbrideEast StirlingshireEasthouses LilyEdinburgh CityElgin CityEyemouth UnitedFalkirkFleet StarForfar AthleticGala FairydeanGala Fairydean Rovers (merged but is it officially a different club??)Greenock MortonHamilton AcademicalHawick Royal AlbertHeart of MidlothianHeriot-Watt UniversityHeston RoversHibernianInverness Caledonian ThistleKelso UnitedKilmarnockLeith AthleticLivingstonLothian Thistle Hutchison ValeMid-AnnandaleMontroseMotherwellOrmistonPartick ThistlePeeblesPeterheadPreston AthleticQueen of the SouthQueen's ParkRaith RoversRangersRoss CountySelkirkSpartansSt Cuthbert WanderersSt JohnstoneSt MirrenStenhousemuirStirling AlbionStirling UniversityStranraerThreave RoversTynecastleUniversity of EdinburghUniversity of StirlingVale of LeithenWhitehill Welfare

I thought Gretna 08 had nothing to do with the Gretna of old cic :o

I thought Gretna 08 had nothing to do with the Gretna of old cic :o

And where did I say they did?

The only connection is the supporters of the old club formed a new club to keep football in Gretna as fine you know. No body who ran the old club has or had nothing to do with the new one.

This was more of a personal observation pf the amount of clubs that I have seen playing a club hailing from Gretna who play in black and white,

Gala Fairydean

Gala Fairydean Rovers (merged but is it officially a different club??)

Gala Fairydean Rovers is a re-merger, so really it's the same club.

Gala Fairydean was the result of a split between the first team & the reserve team way back in 1907 to compete in different leagues but they shared resources. Rovers were mothballed for a while, returning after WW2, & were effectively the feeder club in the amateur set ups for the "big team" in the semi-pro league (in the same manner certain Senior clubs ran Juniors at their grounds pre-war & Slytherin Spartans did the same with the Juniors before their move to the LL).

East Fife (updated)

2014-15 - Albion Rovers, Arbroath, Berwick Rangers, Clyde, East Stirlingshire, Elgin City, Forfar Athletic, Montrose, Queens Park, Stranraer

2013-14 - Airdrieonians, Ayr United, Brechin City, Dunfermline Athletic, Greenock Morton, Rangers, Stenhousemuir, Stirling Albion,

2012-13 - Queen of the South, Alloa Athletic, Peterhead, Cowdenbeath

2011-12 - Falkirk, Aberdeen, Kilmarnock, Dumbarton

2010-11 - Livingston, Raith Rovers

2007-08 - St. Mirren

2006-07 - St. Johnstone, Ross County

2003-04 - Hamilton Academical

2002-03 - Motherwell

2001-02 - Partick Thistle,

1999-00 - Heart of Midlothian

1998-99 - Inverness CT

1996-97 - Dundee

1990-91 - Dundee Utd.

1989-90 - Hibernian

1983-84 - Celtic

After Saturday Clyde move up to the 2014-15 list, after the following week Annan Athletic finally join the list after our first ever game against them and after the following Saturday Rangers move up to the 2014-15 list as well!!!

Edited by King Kebab

• 8 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Stranraer updated to end of 2014-15:

14-15: Albion Rovers, Airdrie, Ayr United, Brechin City, Dumbarton, Dundee United, Dunfermline Athletic, East Fife, Falkirk, Forfar Athletic, Livingston, Morton, Peterhead, Ross County, Stenhousemuir, Stirling Albion.

13-14: Annan Athletic, Arbroath, Clyde, Hibernian, Inverness CT, Rangers.

12-13: Alloa Athletic, Queen of the South, Queen's Park.

11-12: Berwick Rangers, East Stirlingshire, Elgin City, Montrose.

10-11: Motherwell.

09-10: Dundee.

08-09: Raith Rovers.

06-07: Cowdenbeath, Hearts.

05-06: Aberdeen, Hamilton Accies, Partick Thistle, St. Johnstone, St. Mirren.

00-01: Celtic.

97-98: Kilmarnock.

With us playing Falkirk in last season's Petrofac Cup run Killie are now the only team we haven't yet played this century!

Edited by Clayhole Blue

• 2 weeks later...

St Johnstone are still left with East Stirlingshire (1988) and Albion Rovers, Dumbarton and Montrose (all 1996) to face this century. Still not played Annan or Peterhead competitively.

I think they are the only Scottish team I've never seen us play competitively although I vaguely remember a game against them at Grangemouth Athletics Stadium a few years ago.

Updated to include this years league and cup up to the 2nd round of the League / Petrofac cups. So all SPFL teams in this century / milenia and all but 6 in the last 5 years, who says there's no variety of opposition in the SPFL!!

Motherwell 1999/00

Dundee Utd 2001/02
Celtic 2001/02
St.Johnstone 2006/07
Aberdeen 2008/09
Berwick Rangers 2008/09
Lochee United 2008/09
Devronvale 2009/10
Dumbarton 2010/11
Elgin City 2010/11
Sunnybank 2010/11
Inverness CT 2011/12
Hamilton 2011/12
Dundee 2011/12
Raith Roversb 2011/12
Hearts 2011/12
Hibernian 2011/12
Livingston 2011/12
Montrose 2011/12
Annan Athletic 2011/12
St.Mirren 2012/13
QoS 2012/13
Clachnacludin 2012/13
Partick Thistle 2013/14
Falkirk 2013/14
Arbroath 2013/14
Queens Park 2013/14
East Fife 2013/14
Alloa Athletic 2014/15
Kilmarnock 2014/15
Stirling Albion 2014/15
Morton 2014/15
Clyde 2014/15
East Stirlingshire 2014/15
Stranraer 2015/16
Brechin City 2015/16
Dunfermline 2015/16
Airdrie 2015/16
Stenhousemuir 2015/16
Forfar Athletic 2015/16
Peterhead 2015/16
Cowdenbeath 2015/16
Rangers 2015/16
Albion Rovers 2015/16
Ross County 2015/16

Our league cup tie with Berwick rangers this season will be first competitive meeting in 25 years according to first page of the thread. Always good to draw someone you've not played in yonks

Although tempered by us having played a friendly 3 weeks ago :lol:!!