The Official Thread for Everton FC

jamamafegan

Disappointing result yesterday and that extinguishes any hope of fourth. To be honest, I don't think we'll finish in the top five either, which would be disappointing to miss out on Europe altogether after a season of much promise.

Last weekend will likely be my last Toffees sojurn of the season, and the hospitality at Goodison was fantastic - would thoroughly recommend. And QPR were comfortably the worst team I've seen at Goodison all season. Absolutely horseshit, and it's pleasing they're going down.

Mail on Sunday once more trotting out a story that Fellaini and Moyes will both be leaving in the summer too.

What do we make of the back pass yesterday?

Kamara is saying that Mignolet shouldn't have gotten a yellow according to the rules of the game, but my opinion is that it should've been a red. Why is it any different to a bad tackle which "prevents a goalscoring opportunity" ? It was clearly going in.

There is absolutely nothing in the laws of the game which could see him sent off. You can be sent off for the following two offences:

• denying the opposing team a goal or an obvious goalscoring opportunity by deliberately handling the ball (this does not apply to a goalkeeper within his own penalty area)
  • denying an obvious goalscoring opportunity to an opponent moving towards the player’s goal by an offence punishable by a free kick or a penalty kick

Neither of those apply to Mignolet. The yellow card was presumably awarded for "unsporting behaviour" - ie the ref felt Mignolet knew exactly what he was doing and felt he behaved in an unsporting manner.

Yeah, it was more a question of why it isn't in the laws. Is it really any different from a bad tackle preventing a goalscoring opportunity or an outfielder using a hand to prevent a goal?

Yeah, it was more a question of why it isn't in the laws. Is it really any different from a bad tackle preventing a goalscoring opportunity or an outfielder using a hand to prevent a goal?

IMO, and all bias aside, I don't think an incident like that should even be a free kick. If touching the ball with your hands is the ONLY way to prevent the ball going in from a backpass, then the keepers should be allowed to do it. The rule was brought in to speed up play, not to try and catch goalies out.

• 2 weeks later...

Will be on the Kop on Sunday...any chance of you lot ending this 14 year Anfield hoodoo? :)

Whenever it ends I'm sure you will be the first to be informed.

I should imagine we'll get our arses handed to us no matter how Liverpool are playing this season, as seems to be the way of late unfortunately.

RS 3-1 Everton i'll predict.

Where is your belief man!

Great that the rat is not playing, that's a boost. Liverpool beat Newcastle by such a large margin because Newcastle are dreadful. We'll go and give them a proper game. The hoodoo must end sometime!

Prediction RS 1 Toffees 2. COYB!

May the best team win and let's hope for no trouble or daft singing.

...as long as they play in red! ;).

Lets hope so MG - Everton have been first class over Hillsbrough recently and hopefully a lot of the nonsense is at an end. There is apparently a mosaic thanking Everton for their support. :)

Neil Lennon to replace Moyes?

:lol:

Good God, NO!!!

Obviously disappointed if Moyes does get the job, however, I'm more concerned about the possibility of losing the likes of Fellaini and Baines to Man U if he does go.

Good God, NO!!!

Obviously disappointed if Moyes does get the job, however, I'm more concerned about the possibility of losing the likes of Fellaini and Baines to Man U if he does go.

A lot of Everton fans seem quite keen on Lennon, which I find bizarre. Dreadful as a manager, and as a man.

Edited by Bonksy+HisChristianParade

Why is Martinez being linked so closely with the Everton job? Fair enough that he showed with Swansea that he could work wonders on a limited budget, but that was in the Championship / League One. Is keeping Wigan in the Premier League by the skin of their teeth several times that much of an accomplishment?

Why is Martinez being linked so closely with the Everton job? Fair enough that he showed with Swansea that he could work wonders on a limited budget, but that was in the Championship / League One. Is keeping Wigan in the Premier League by the skin of their teeth several times that much of an accomplishment?

To be honest it is. I honestly think they are a mid table Championship side at best. I just like Martinez and I don't know why really, I just think he has the makings of a top manager.