The Official Thread for Everton FC

jamamafegan

I would be happy with Jelavic. Unlikely we'll get him though considering the money Rangers want for him.

I wouldn't say I'd be 'happy' with him, but I'd prefer him to Beckford. As you say though, I'd imagine we're unlikely to get him, due to the transfer fee he's likely to command. And f it was that sort of money, it can certainly be better spent.

I see we're also being linked with Wolves' Kevin Doyle as well as Jelavic.

Maybe it's just me, but would it not take A LOT of money to sign Doyle, given how much they paid for him? I'd be happy if we were to sign him, he's a good player and a goalscorer, albeit injuries do seem to be an issue.

I know the club has received decent money for Beckford and Bilyaltetdinov recently, but it would take a large sum I'd imagine, for us to get Jelavic AND Doyle surely?

I'd much rather Doyle than Jelavic. Jelavic is decent in the SPL, I don't think he could cut it in the EPL at all. It's especially not worth a £9m punt or whatever they're asking for.

Edited by Rudy

Word is it'll be a lot less than £9 million. :(

£8 million or whatever it is they will get is absolute daylight robbery, they've done brilliantly to get anywhere near that amount.

Potentially setting myself for a bit of a fail if he turns out to be a big hit, but I really don't see the fuss about him, his scoring record is virtually the same as Gary Hooper's and Southampton were the biggest team in for him. I think West Ham would be a far better move for him, all in likelihood they will be in the Premiership next season anyway and it will give him time to settle in and get a few goals. The Premiership is a huge step up from scoring against teams like Dunfermline, and Everton aren't exactly the kind of time that create lots of chances. Not sure it's a good move either for him or for Everton.

That's pretty much the way I see it too, to be honest. Jelavic has proven to be pretty successful in the SPL, but I don't know if he's good enough to be a 'main goalscorer' (which he would be signed to be) at a mid-table Premiership side. As you say, he's proven he can do it against Dunfermline, Kilmarnock and the likes, but my worry would be that he wouldn't be prolific enough in the Premiership.

Although, it's funny you should mention Gary Hooper. He's someone (if it was between him and Jelavic) who I'd be happier signing. I know my above reservations about Jelavic could very fairly be levelled at Hooper too, but I just feel Hooper would suit us better, and has a bigger chance of being a regular goalscorer at a side like Everton.

That's pretty much the way I see it too, to be honest. Jelavic has proven to be pretty successful in the SPL, but I don't know if he's good enough to be a 'main goalscorer' (which he would be signed to be) at a mid-table Premiership side. As you say, he's proven he can do it against Dunfermline, Kilmarnock and the likes, but my worry would be that he wouldn't be prolific enough in the Premiership.

Although, it's funny you should mention Gary Hooper. He's someone (if it was between him and Jelavic) who I'd be happier signing. I know my above reservations about Jelavic could very fairly be levelled at Hooper too, but I just feel Hooper would suit us better, and has a bigger chance of being a regular goalscorer at a side like Everton.

I'd agree about Hooper which is why I used him as an example, they have identical scoring records but to me Hooper seems a much better all round player, he's a lot more mobile and I think he would be a better option. But I still wouldn't say Hooper is good enough for the Premiership so it goes without saying I don't think Jelavic is really good enough either. Who knows, he may surprise me, but i still think if Rangers get that amount of money for him they have done brilliantly.

Great result for us if he goes.

That'll be England international centre back Phil Jagielka, versus Ryan Shawcross who's done what exactly, apart from snap Aaron Ramsey?

Beckford left because the club are skint and Kenwright and the board decided to cash in. £4 million for a striker signed for free made good business sense to them. He was coming into form towards the end of last season and I'm sure if Moyes had the choice, he'd have kept him.

Sorry i don't respond to obvious attempts at trolling dry.gif

I'd agree about Hooper which is why I used him as an example, they have identical scoring records but to me Hooper seems a much better all round player, he's a lot more mobile and I think he would be a better

option. But I still wouldn't say Hooper is good enough for the Premiership so it goes without saying I don't think Jelavic is really good enough either. Who knows, he may surprise me, but i still think if Rangers get that amount of money for him they have done brilliantly.

Yeah, i'd agree that Hooper is more mobile and better 'all round', although the aspect that he's scored a barrel-load in the Championship for Scunthorpe is a big factor in my preferring of him to Jelavic.

Jelavic has scored an impressive number of goals in the SPL so far, and goals in Vienna and some in Europe, but I'd rather have someone who has a proven record of goalscoring in the Championship than the SPL.

I wouldn't mind Jelavic. He wouldn't be any worse than Louis "as much movement as a traffic cone" Saha. Though I also believe he wouldn't be a 15-20 goal a season player, nor should EFC pay anywhere near £8 million.

Doyle would be a tremendous signing, and I'd hoped we'd go for him before he went to Wolves. We definitely need to bring a striker in though.

But, a deal has been agreed for 20 year old Greek defender Kostas Monolas from AEK Athens.

£500,000

It should be noted that "proven goalscorer" Kevin Doyle has scored 7 goals in 45 Premier League appearances for Wolves over the last two seasons. 2 of those were penalties, which means he has scored a goal from open play every 9 games on average.