The Official Thread for Everton FC

jamamafegan

In the least surprising news of all time, Benitez is away.

Duncan Ferguson's team was exciting when he took temporary charge a couple of years ago and it seems he will again, but I think he's a good two or three game manager to come in, get the fans and team back on board and go back to coaching.

That said, he's clearly been great with Calvert-Lewin and Ancelotti and Benitez both carried on his 4-4-2 with DCL and Richarlison up top so I think he might have something.

9 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

In the least surprising news of all time, Benitez is away.

Duncan Ferguson's team was exciting when he took temporary charge a couple of years ago and it seems he will again, but I think he's a good two or three game manager to come in, get the fans and team back on board and go back to coaching.

That said, he's clearly been great with Calvert-Lewin and Ancelotti and Benitez both carried on his 4-4-2 with DCL and Richarlison up top so I think he might have something.

I read that Ancellotti tried to get him to go with him to Spain. He is clearly pretty valuable as a coach at least, I think if this goes well they might give him the job. 

6 managers in the 8 years since Moyes left (+ 3 stand ins), Martinez 2+ years, sacked; Ronald Koeman 16 months, sacked; Sam Allardyce 7 months, end of contract; Marco Silva 19 months, sacked; Carlo Ancelotti 18 months, jumped ship back to Real Madrid and Rafael Benitez 7 months, sacked.

Impressive list of managers and impressive list of length of time as manager, average tenure 16 months, and considering Martinez was there for 33 months and Ancelotti for 18, the rest of them lasted an average of 11 months each.

Thought Benitez was a strange appointment. He seems to have a reputation way above his actual level, he's constantly cited as a 'top European manager' yet has done virtually nothing in the last decade. An Italian Cup with Napoli and Europa League with Chelsea are all he has won in the last decade (excluding lower level honours with Newcastle).

Even before that at Liverpool he had an excellent Cup record but league performance wasn't great. Did superbly at Valencia obviously to start his career but he seems to have lived off that and the Champions League win in 2005 since.

I see him like a Mourinho now, someone who used to be top level but is now out-dated. Football just now is all about being on the front foot. The fans demand it but so do the players at the top level. They are both defensive, cautious managers who are struggling to adapt to the modern game. The way they deal with players also seems to be unsuitable now, player power and the millennial generation don't allow you to manage them the way that they do. They're both stuck in that spiral where the only jobs available to them are ones with a low chance of success, so they end up just hopping between increasingly desperate clubs.

Edited by Diamonds are Forever

• 3 weeks later...
14 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

Now Everton Ladies are getting in on the act - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/60226290

Not sure if Lampard is a great appointment, think this, too, will end in tears (in about 3 months time).

Going to the Newcastle v Everton game next Tuesday, train and hotel stay. Birthday present from my wife, son, daughter and future daughter in law. it's almost like they don't like me. 😉

8 hours ago, centralTon said:

Going to the Newcastle v Everton game next Tuesday, train and hotel stay. Birthday present from my wife, son, daughter and future daughter in law. it's almost like they don't like me. 😉

Lucky you! :lol:

Everton looking a lot better - or maybe Brentford are more crap.

Anyway, it's the cup so it's fairly pointless, but a win's a win. Everton maybe rode their luck a bit as Brentford could - and maybe should - have made it 2-2 just before the third goal.

After that it was fairly comfortable for Frankie's Fusiliers.

14 minutes ago, accies1874 said:
4 hours ago, centralTon said:
IMG_5421.thumb.jpg.817a9a620f579d272ec2cf6ccc3b6834.jpg
At St. James last night. Deserved win for Newcastle, great atmosphere and a few good beers with my son.

Did you bow to the Saudi regime?

Naw, I'm an Everton fan. 

Two wins out of three for Frankie's Fusiliers. :thumsup2

Cruised through to the next round of the cup.

Collapsed at St James Park, despite scoring first.

By all accounts a comfortable win today over Leeds.

So, pass marks to date, a long way to go.

I fear Benitez' Blunderers would have won only one, against Brentford, losing to Newcastle and at best getting a draw with Leeds. All supposition, of course. :lol:

Another away defeat.

And with Watford winning at a team who won at Goodison Park and Burnley scudding Brighton 3-0 on their own midden where Everton went down tamely, (and Burnley have a game in hand and a better goal difference), the storm clouds gather.

Desperate times.

What a difference a week makes!

On 12/02/2022 at 17:38, Jacksgranda said:

Two wins out of three for Frankie's Fusiliers. :thumsup2

Cruised through to the next round of the cup.

Collapsed at St James Park, despite scoring first.

By all accounts a comfortable win today over Leeds.

So, pass marks to date, a long way to go.

I fear Benitez' Blunderers would have won only one, against Brentford, losing to Newcastle and at best getting a draw with Leeds. All supposition, of course. :lol:

11 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

Another away defeat.

And with Watford winning at a team who won at Goodison Park and Burnley scudding Brighton 3-0 on their own midden where Everton went down tamely, (and Burnley have a game in hand and a better goal difference), the storm clouds gather.

Desperate times.

But Brentford are in more desperate trouble to be Frank.