The John Sweeney Appreciation Society

Heard a rumour that Partick Thistle are interested in signing your hero, The Sweeney, is it true?

Not even a swap deal consisting of their entire squad would be an acceptable offer.

• Replies 403
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It is not every player who gets away with doing the opposite of what his Manager Jim Duffy tells him to do however, with four goals in three games, Bully Wee midfielder John Sweeney is being given a little more leeway than normal.

Sweeney explains the occasion he went against his boss’ wishes in the Cumbernauld club’s opening day League win against Peterhead just before half-time saying: “In pre-season, I tried shots from distance and they were poor efforts. The Manager told me not to do it any more as it was just not what my game was about. However, against Peterhead, I got the ball near the half-way line and started running forward.

“I remembered what the Manager had said and I was looking to play in Liam Cusack or Michael Oliver however, the Peterhead defenders stuck with them and everything just opened up for me. I got to 25 yards out and just let fly and thankfully it flew in.

"The referee blew his whistle and that was half-time and it was probably just as well I scored as I am sure the boss would have had something to say to me if my shot had been like the ones in pre-season.”

Sweeney is in the middle of a purple patch just now in front of goal following a blank first season at Broadwood after stepping up from Junior side Pollok and he is enjoying his time under Duffy after first fearing that he was not going to get the chance to impress the former Dundee, Hibernian and Brechin City boss.

The 23-year-old said: “You could say I was a late developer at football as I had never been involved at a senior club until last summer. I was playing for West Park Under-21’s in Bishopbriggs when one of the Pollok Junior players, David Turnbull, arranged for me to get a trial there two and a half years ago.

“Jim Sinnet was the Manager at the time and he brought me in for a few training sessions before giving me a chance in a friendly against Stenhousemuir. I got a few games at the end of my first season after forcing my way into the team but I played a lot more the following year when Rab Sneddon took over. I scored a few goals from midfield that season and when Rab moved over to Clyde to become a Scout, he recommended me to Stuart Millar.”

Millar liked the industrious nature of Sweeney and signed him up for Clyde’s First Division campaign with Sweeney saying: “It felt great to be given a chance in the SFL and I saw it as a really big move for me. It took me a wee while to adjust however, the squad never gelled which was a real shame.”

Millar was removed from the Manager's Office in January and as forthright off the pitch as he is on it, Sweeney said: “Stuart Millar is a great guy and a great Manager and I am not just saying that as he took me to Clyde. Some players that were here at the time thought they were better than they actually were and did not work as hard as they should have.

“Some guys took advantage of Stuart’s good nature and that made it difficult in the dressing room as they lost respect from other players."

Duffy came in and wiped the slate clean with the help of a number of new arrivals and Sweeney began to wonder if his stay in the in the senior game would be a short one as he said: “I did not feature much in the early days after the new Manager came in and I was beginning to get worried about getting a new deal at Clyde. We played Stranraer in the last game of last season and thankfully, I was told the day before that I had done enough to impress Jim and get a new deal. I was really happy to achieve that.”

Clyde, who finished in bottom spot of the SFL last season, started this campaign slowly as they found themselves two goals down to Berwick Rangers in their Ramsdens Cup First Round tie before rallying and forcing a penalty shoot-out.

The Borderers triumphed 4-3 on spot-kicks however, Sweeney had triumphed to a small extent as well as he scored his spot-kick in the penalty shoot-out showdown and, after over a year without a goal, he took confidence from that.

Regular penalty taker Pat Scullion had missed from 12 yards during the game and also in the shoot-out and Sweeney spoke to him ahead of their next game against Brechin City in The Scottish Communities League Cup.

“I told him I wanted to take the penalties and he said that if we got any, I could. I suppose it was quite bold when you consider I had never scored a competitive goal for Clyde but I felt confident after scoring in the shoot –out.”

Sweeney added: “We were obviously the underdogs going into that game however, the Manager used to be there and he briefed us well so we were quite looking forward to the game.”

The scores were tied at 1-1 after 90 minutes and it looked bleak when Brechin were awarded a penalty just two minutes into extra-time however, Craig Molloy missed the target and then five minutes later, Sweeney found himself on the spot.

“We were awarded a spot-kick and Pat said ‘on you go,” before adding, “I knew from before kick-off where I would put a penalty if we got one and I didn’t change my mind. In saying that, Craig Nelson seemed to get bigger as I ran in but I scored it and it was great to get a goal in a game.”

The Broadwood men won through 4-2 and were rewarded in the Draw with a tie in the Second Round against Motherwell before facing up to Peterhead in the opening game of the IRN-BRU SFL Third Division.

“Peterhead have built a good squad and the Manager told us they were favourites for the game but we should go out and enjoy it,” said Sweeney before adding, “We started well and our goalkeeper Felip Mentel was great and that gave us confidence. I got the goal just before half-time and to score my first goal at Broadwood was great.”

Sweeney set up the second goal against the Blue Toon with a long throw in that was touched on by Brian McQueen and Steph McDonald flicked in to seal the win. That weapon in the Clyde armoury is not so new with Sweeney saying: “I have been doing long throws since I played in the Under-21s but it did not come off last season.”

Duffy’s side then moved on to meet another team hotly tipped to do well, Alloa Athletic, and they came back with a very credible 2-2 draw with sharp-shooter Sweeney beginning and ending the scoring in the game.

Sweeney, who combines working with the Council with his playing career, said: “Alloa have signed a lot of good players and in Paul Hartley, they have a guy that was playing for Scotland recently as their Manager so it was another tough game for us.

"I managed to open the scoring when Paul Hay slipped the ball to me after one of my throws had been cleared to the edge of the box. That is two from long distance and whilst I scored a few goals at Pollok, there were not that many from distance.”

Alloa hit back and were leading 2-1 in the closing stages of the game when Clyde were awarded a penalty with Sweeney saying: “I think I ran the fastest I ever have to get the ball so I could take the penalty.”

There was actually no need to rush as opposing goalkeeper Scott Bain was dismissed for his foul and the Alloa players used the break to try and talk Sweeney off his game.

He said: “There were nearly five minutes between the penalty being awarded and taken, as their substitute goalkeeper came on. The Alloa players were shouting over saying they knew which way I was going to place the kick but like the Brechin game, I stayed focused on putting the kick where I had decided to long before it was awarded.”

Sweeney netted from 12 yards out to gain a draw with the midfielder saying: “If you had told us we would have four points after our first two games against two of the promotion favourites, then I am sure we would gladly have taken it.”

With the upturn in results comes a higher expectation however, Sweeney and his team-mates are ready as he explained: “We have Montrose at home now and that puts a different pressure on us as some people will see us as favourites for this game. Success this season will be finishing higher than last season and to do that, we need to win games like this one so that has to be our aim.

“If I score, it would be great but funnily enough, I think I played better last season but did not score whereas now, I am scoring but not playing as well. Picking up points are more important than my goal tally nice though it is to be building one.”

Heard a rumour that Partick Thistle are interested in signing your hero, The Sweeney, is it true?

We are lacking the lionel messi and £50,000,000 that could make this happen.

So, the Sweenster fails to score today. Again.

What a circus act. Shameful.

He just doesn't want to score every week because then the strikers wouldn't try as hard and we'd struggle if they had to score. He draws all the opposing team because that's how many people it takes to attempt to mark him, that's why McDonald scored today.

So, the Sweenster fails to score today. Again.

What a circus act. Shameful.

He's waiting for odds to drift on 1st goalscorer again so he can pile on.

If he wanted to score today he would have,to think otherwise is lunacy.

Wait and see and if you have any sense keep betting him 1st goal !

Quiet yet deadly efficient performance from the bandy-legged assassin today. As others have pointed out he played with two broken legs and Steph McDonald on his coupon. Ran about mental all day, broke up play beautifully and whenever we get a throw in within the vacinity of the oppositions penalty area...just forget about it. Game over adore.gif

I was worried in the warm-up when he lined up a shot from 25 yards and blasted it high over the bar. However, it struck an 's' on the Optical Express sign; coincidence, I don't think so.

Archived