The John Sweeney Appreciation Society

• Replies 403
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sweeney has had a few very good games this year.....annan shire and montrose away all come to mind. But imo when he has a bad game, all reality is suspended, and often f**k knows when until. Its when this happens he tries to.become the hero of the hour, rather than just being one through leadership and sometimes just doing whats needed......such as qp away and saturday there. He wasnt slow at kicking Fergie's baws in Elgin, didnt see any of that at weekend. That said, a better more positive partner may help him, hopefully we'll.find out soon enough.

I don't really disagree with that actually. As quality as he is, he's not having a great spell at the minute and I get the feeling that he tries to overcompensate for that by getting a bit overexcited and trying to do everything himself. But his utter commitment to the cause is unquestionable, and I'd rather that than some of the pathetic captains we've had recently. Connor Stevenson and Adam Strachan ffs :lol:

I strongly dislike John Sweeney

Most oppo fans do 8)

• 2 months later...

Do you know what?? You might be right JF. Much of the basics of his game have been clouded by the fact he has often adopted a Gary McAllister-esque need to do everything, all the fucking time, which in fairness until this year, a lot of players couldn't be trusted to run out wuth the boots on the correct feet, never mind take free kicks and shys. His terrific engine could be well expended with a quality sitter (Janczyk minus a stone???) coupled with a frontman who can hold the baw up. Nothing complicated about it really, but if he (allows himself to) gets back to those basics then he may find himself mentioned in the breath of some of those who went before him :P

It does sound like he has been taking a lot of responsibility for things like throw ins and setpieces as well captaining the team. As you. say this could affect the basics of his game such as positioning. As your squad and first team improves he will hopefully get his own game improved. No reason he can't be a decent player at league one level, imo.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Played in all 44 games this season. Subbed only twice, missing 26 minutes of football of a possible 3,000+

Another brilliant season for Sweeney - I'd say his best yet actually, despite a lower goal tally than last season. I challenge ANYONE to say that he's been nothing but an amazing captain and a fantastic asset to the club. Oh ye of little faith :angel

Archived