The John Sweeney Appreciation Society

Aye because we're all wrong eh........get a grip ya pie. Clowns like you probably thrive on how shite we are at the minute as it gives you something of a quirk in life

Exactly, I live for seeing us get pumped rotten :rolleyes: What I've noticed about you is that your standards are unrealistically high, borne from that generation of unsustainable spending. We are where we are and John Sweeney serves a purpose

He might not be the most talented Clyde captain we've ever had, but he's definitely up there with the most committed. As well as juggling football with his job and his young family, he manages the supporters team and attends every fans event and every kids' Clyde Crew day on the calendar. He leads by example and he's also improved immensely since he signed. Yes he was absolutely rotten on Saturday but I don't think anyone can deny now that he's an important player for us

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Unrealistically high standards borne from 'THAT' generation of unsustainable spending, is it??? Bollocks. I was a Clyde fan for almost 20 years prior to that, and let me tell you 'unsustainable spending' had us struggling in the 2nd division under Smith n Speirs long before we won the fucking thing. Not to mention the abuse fired at some of the heroes from that team and subsequently more than a few others over the following years (which you correctly describe as financially

wreckless)......but thats not the fault of the players.....imho many of them did a lot more for Clyde than any of this current lot ever will. Still, i'm well aware of our position, but excuse me, if i find difficult to stomach, hero worship bestowed upon anyone and everyone who sticks around long enough. We're beginning to sound like an ugly wife who's grateful her shithouse man still looks at her twice cos she'll never do any better.

I was a Clyde fan for almost 20 years prior to that, and let me tell you 'unsustainable spending' had us struggling in the 2nd division under Smith n Speirs long before we won the fucking thing.

So you'll also know that we've been pretty much a yoyo club between the 1st and 2nd division for decades (most relegated team in Scotland I believe). Our true position is probably top to middle of the 2nd division (or League 1, or whatever) which makes the superiority complex that you have pretty baffling. I know you're probably on the wind up and I've bitten like an absolute trumpet, but I've noticed this over quite a lot of your posts and just thought I'd stick my tuppence in now

Not to mention the abuse fired at some of the heroes from that team......but thats not the fault of the players.....

My point exactly! :1eye

edit: we're not actually genuinely "hero-worshipping" JS, you do know that right? It's a light hearted thread showing a bit of support for the team and a guy who - yes, has his limitations - but who is genuinely committed to the cause.

And it's also easy to forget that he was our top goalscorer last season, and came second or something for assists as well.

Clyde were in the 1st Division 1982 - 1990 and 2000 - 2008 That's 80% of two of the past three decades

Should take that yo-yo back to the shops for a refund "Stallion". Get your dad to drive past Shawfield on the way so you can see what the fuckin place looks like

Well put BC......didnt know tam shepherd sold yo yos either. Our true position, Stallion, is the one we're in now due to failure/choice not to adapt to the circumstances we found ourselves in on three occasions (by my count) whilst in our last nine year stay in the First Division. I can accept that fact, whether i like it or not. Fwiw...i don't.

The only reason i waded into this love-in now, was because on Saturday i had no fucking clue what he was trying to do....overhead assists from inside his own half, perhaps??? Someone said he 'just launched it anywhere'. Eh, naw he didny....those were attempted passes. I wouldnt be saying any of this if he was indeed launching it out the park when QP were all over us like a cougar, it was certainly good enough for much better players like Sheridan, Millen and McClay when the three points were in danger. I'd maybe even have gobbled him myself had that been the case but as they say if yer ma' had baws.....

I think it's obvious that I'm not Sweeney's biggest fan and I don't think there's any doubt that the weakest part of our team is still the centre of midfield. However, the embarrassment at Elgin aside, there's no doubt he's a decent leader and has done a lot around the club, plus he's not actively hiding from the ball any more. He's too fond of the punt over the full back for Ferguson/McColm to change, though it does work on occasion. He's also channeling his closing down better as well.

Don't think his throw-ins can be underestimated either. Worth three or four goals a season directly without looking at the effect it has moving the team up the pitch.

He might not be the most talented Clyde captain we've ever had, but he's definitely up there with the most committed. As well as juggling football with his job and his young family, he manages the supporters team and attends every fans event and every kids' Clyde Crew day on the calendar. He leads by example and he's also improved immensely since he signed. Yes he was absolutely rotten on Saturday but I don't think anyone can deny now that he's an important player for us

I'm not a fan of Sweeney myself, but any player working (presumably) full time with a young family, and takes that much time to help out on various club based events behind the scenes is a player that any club would be extremely lucky and grateful to have.

You don't find many players looking to help out at the club outside of their playing days & training nights, and it's nice to hear that there are players who go that step further, and not just turning up and looking to move to a different club for more money.

I think it's obvious that I'm not Sweeney's biggest fan and I don't think there's any doubt that the weakest part of our team is still the centre of midfield. However, the embarrassment at Elgin aside, there's no doubt he's a decent leader and has done a lot around the club, plus he's not actively hiding from the ball any more. He's too fond of the punt over the full back for Ferguson/McColm to change, though it does work on occasion. He's also channeling his closing down better as well.

Don't think his throw-ins can be underestimated either. Worth three or four goals a season directly without looking at the effect it has moving the team up the pitch.

The win at Berwick being case and point re Sweeney and throw ins.

No-ones alias, weesax96. Since when was this about money??? If i was playing in the supporters team (i wish :o) playing for love and f**k all else, i'd expect a bollocking if my fannying about led to conceding free kicks or corners. Nor would i expect to win every game 7 0 as some on here think i believe Clyde should. Far from it. I dont have any expectations whatsoever, whether thats a good thing or not il leave to individuals to decide for themselves. In any case i only commented as things with the amateurs seemed to be getting all very cosy. Next you'll all be telling me how great THAT is......

Archived