The John Sweeney Appreciation Society

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I see a few members of the society are starting to have doubts about your hero's abilities in the Clyde v Alloa board about Tuesday night's game... Two things have to be considered in light of recent performances on the pitch by the Clyde player known as 'The Sweenster' :

1. Has Paul Hartley slipped some kryptonite in his boots for when he plays Alloa?

2. Can you be chucked out of the society for doubting The Sweeney's superpowers?

Unlikely as he scored 2 goals in our 1st meeting this season.

• 1 month later...

Total Fanny today for being sent off. We are Clyde, we need 11 players always! Hope he enjoys the run to Annan and Montrose.

He'd be going to Annan and Montrose whether he was injured, suspended, or suffering from cholera, and Yes, he probably would "run" if he had to.

Although it is hard to believe.........He made a mistake.

He'll make it up to us.

A player who always gives his all and genuinely gives a F**k is allowed 1 mistake.

But

If he does it again he might have to hand his cape and pants back.

He'd be going to Annan and Montrose whether he was injured, suspended, or suffering from cholera, and Yes, he probably would "run" if he had to.

Although it is hard to believe.........He made a mistake.

He'll make it up to us.

A player who always gives his all and genuinely gives a F**k is allowed 1 mistake.

But

If he does it again he might have to hand his cape and pants back.

He's done it before but not been caught by the officials.

• 3 weeks later...

For what it's worth, in all seriousness, what he lacks in ability he makes up for in effort and determination, although sometimes overly so (see red/yellow cards record and various fouls :unsure:). I'd rather see someone who gets stuck in every game and gives their all than someone like Neill who can play really well in some games but look really lethargic and half-arsed in others.

That statistical argument is hollow. Readers should consider that he; a) takes penalty kicks b) takes corner kicks and the occasional free kick (and) c) does have a good long throw.

Nobody would ignore his ability to score a penalty, deliver a decent dead ball or cause bother with a good toss however those things could also be accomplished by say, Mr.Woo the former T-Mobile envoy. A much better spot-kick taker and dead ball hitter than John Sweeney. He is however (and by his own admission) hapless through ordinary, continuous play (Mr.Woo).

And also to the contrary, I'd much rather have a player like John Neill who is so obviously much more skillful than John Sweeney in almost every respect imaginable. I don't buy that Neill is lazy. Not one bit. I've seen him look fairly beleaguered by the goings on around him, certainly. Knowing that you'll be unable to change anything is a prison and intelligent players can become locked inside it.

Even if I grant - which, as I say, I don't - that John Neill was or is lazy, I'd still rather have a player of that ability than one of Sweeney's who is, they tell me, redeemed by his determination. There is no god to love a trier. I wish people would cease to grant concessionary praise in this way.

Sweeney always gives 100 percent and for that I would never give him abuse, other than his stupid sending off against QP of course. I don't think he is anything other however than a decent junior footballer. 3rd division maybe but that's about it at most. He has done well generally in his time with us. I know a Pollok fan btw who can't believe Sweeney has done Ok with Clyde as he reckons he wasn't good enough to play with Pollok.

But fair play to the guy. He gives his all and certainly doesn't hide. You can't ask for more than that in my view.

I see your point, General Paolo, and acknowledge your rational hatred toward Sweeney due to the lack of backspin he applies to anything he does (particularly throw-ins). When you consider (I'm not 100% on these) Clyde have scored one goal from a corner through Gallacher against Shire (-1 assist), one penalty against Alloa (-1 goal) and one goal from a long throw against Peterhead (-1 assist), then we get 3 goals and 4 assists. If we discount those goals altogether, for the sake of this debate, we've lost 3 points from the "no" penalty, and we've scored 18 from 20 games. Another point I'd like to make is that rarely do Sweeney's corners and throws come to anything, even with a good delivery.

Archived