The Gavin Berry Awards for Shitty Football Journalism

It was losing to Italy that cost us a place at Euro 2008, we would have been elliminated regardless of our loss in Tbilisi Gaz.

In the end that's true but it's not quite that simplistic. The loss in Tiblisi forced us to beat Italy and therefore meant we had to push on looking for a winner rather than settle for a draw when it was 1-1. It may have made no odds but it's not unreasonable to suggest it ultimately cost us our place at Euro 2008.

That's not what's wrong with Michael Baillie's quote anyway though so an irrelevant tangent.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chris Jack's tear-stained, trembling lipped marble staircase hagiography of Warburton a couple of days ago rates as a summer classic.

Roger Hannah of The Sun constantly last week referring to the Motherwell v Rangers tie as a 'play-off for promtion to the SPFL'.

Most of these guys are definitely doing it on purpose.

This is driving me mad.

Observers and pundits everywhere seem to operate under the misapprehension that SPFL is the new name of the top flight, rather than the name of the entire national structure.

I've heard this repeatedly on the radio and Pat Nevin was at it on TV. It's depressing that people paid to talk and write about football can be so ignorant.

God, I hate them for it.

From the Record Sport online transfer tracker:

Stevie Aitken has made his EIGHTH summer signing as Dumbarton boss. The new gaffer and his Sons will be worth watching this season after he took Stranraer to the brink of promotion in an ultra-competitive League 2 last term. The latest face in the door is former Hearts striker Gordon Smith. The 24-year-old scored 10 goals in 42 appearances for relegated Stirling Albion last season and Aitken said: "Gordon is a good player and will be an excellent addition for us. I'm confident he can step up for us."

Poor Stranraer, not only have we nicked their manager, a couple of players and given them Lee Mair. They've also been relegated as well.

This is driving me mad. Observers and pundits everywhere seem to operate under the misapprehension that SPFL is the new name of the top flight, rather than the name of the entire national structure. I've heard this repeatedly on the radio and Pat Nevin was at it on TV. It's depressing that people paid to talk and write about football can be so ignorant. God, I hate them for it.

They should have just called them the 1st, 2nd,3rd and 4th Divisions instead of copying the English and confusing everyone.

They should have just called them the 1st, 2nd,3rd and 4th Divisions instead of copying the English and confusing everyone.

correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm sure we had a 'premier' league before they did.

correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm sure we had a 'premier' league before they did.

Pre SPL the top flight was known more commonly as the Premier Division, doing the Championship, League 1, League 2 pish was copying the English.

Yep, Patrick vs Celtic and Edinburgh city against Spartans

I find it very difficult to believe that Neil Doncaster gives a shit about Edinburgh City and Spartans and that's who he was referring to.

I find it very difficult to believe that Neil Doncaster gives a shit about Edinburgh City and Spartans and that's who he was referring to.

I find it difficult to believe he gives a shit about anything bar keeping his ridiculous haircut in place, but technically he was correct, and he's prone to making up any old excuse.

Cockwomble at fixtures launch: "There will be Glasgow and Edinburgh derbies this season." Will there now?...

Livingston relocating back to Meadowbank?

I agree with your point about the names of the divisions.

It's not exactly difficult as it is though to recognise what the SPFL actually is. If it's your job to talk about football, I don't think it's asking much that you get such basic facts right.

• 2 weeks later...

What the f**k is it with the BBC and Ian Cathro stories? Did someone order a job lot when he was *linked* with the the Rangers and now Pacific Quay is stuck with a load of bollocks about a coach at Newcastle United?

• 4 weeks later...

Full page article on Gavin Reilly in the Sun today contains this gem:

"Reilly has moved to Edinburgh after spending his whole life in Dumfries (he actually lived in Gretna more than 20 miles away but we'll let that slide). He admits that flitting to Edinburgh from the Borders has been an eye opener...."

Disappointed to find that Dumfries has again been moved to the Borders without telling us. It's incredible how many journalists have the geographical knowledge of an amoeba. Given the choice between placing us in the Borders or Dumfries & Galloway you would think they might catch on to the clue in the name as to which one is correct!

"Reilly has moved to Edinburgh after spending his whole life in Dumfries (he actually lived in Gretna more than 20 miles away but we'll let that slide). He admits that flitting to Edinburgh from the Borders has been an eye opener...."

Disappointed to find that Dumfries has again been moved to the Borders without telling us. It's incredible how many journalists have the geographical knowledge of an amoeba. Given the choice between placing us in the Borders or Dumfries & Galloway you would think they might catch on to the clue in the name as to which one is correct!

I think you're being harsh SD.

Surprised the journo bothered to learn QOS were based in Dumfries.

He probably only knew that through following Rangers down there in May.

Lots of things make me angry, but that sort of thing tips me over the edge.

From the Daily Record Championship preview. Rangers and Hibs get a full page. A few other clubs get a couple of paragraphs.

Alloa, ourselves and Morton get this

"Alloa and Dumbarton are likely to find themselves battling relegation alongside Morton, who gained promotion to the Championship on the final day of last season".

They also reckon Queens will: "struggle at the lower end of the table", and Raith could be "a dark horse for the playoffs thanks to their new signings" (James Craigen, Darren Petrie and Craig Wighton)

Livingston's couple of lines are entirely about Rangers: "Former Rangers youngster Darren Cole is looking to prove himself again after being released at Ibrox over a year ago, and the defender, who made his 'Gers debut in a Champions League match against Bursaspor showed his capabilities after signing on at Livi towards the end of last season".

The sooner I write the season previews the better.

Archived