The Gavin Berry Awards for Shitty Football Journalism

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The BBC is an easy target so here we go again. Yesterday afternoon they went over to Ewood Park for a live update right at the point where Blackburn Rovers had just scored. The reporter credited the goal to Craig Conway. It turned out that the actual scorer was Josh King. I can appreciate that it can be easy to make a mistake in a spontaneous report but how could she not differentiate between Craig Conway who is white and Josh King who is black?

There was a good one down south a couple of years ago. Barnsley were playing Birmingham and trailing 1-0 while pushing for a last minute equaliser.

SSN reported that Morgaro Gomis had scored a second to kill the game off but it was corrected to be a Barnsley equaliser a few minutes later.

Both players had the same squad number which caused the confusion.

This match report from The Scotsman refers to Chris Higgins as Michael Higgins. It also describes the game as a being a bit more one-sided than the reality. It's almost as if it is from an Edinburgh-based newspaper. :rolleyes:

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/spfl-lower-divisions/queen-of-the-south-1-2-hearts-late-strike-seals-it-1-3697691

This match report from The Scotsman refers to Chris Higgins as Michael Higgins. It also describes the game as a being a bit more one-sided than the reality. It's almost as if it is from an Edinburgh-based newspaper. :rolleyes:

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/spfl-lower-divisions/queen-of-the-south-1-2-hearts-late-strike-seals-it-1-3697691

Stuart "Bathgate" eh? :rolleyes:

To be fair I don't think other than the glaring Higgins cock up there's an awful lot wrong with the report, though I wish I'd watched their first goal a bit more closely. Not sure I've ever seen a ball "loop around" anyone on it's way into the net!

The Herald's football coverage continues to be indistinguishable from the red top rags, as once again they have to shoe-horn the obligatory O*D F**m connection into each and every story, however tenuous - today's effort is the headline that "former Celtic player Pressley leaves Coventry".

Its like an insecurity issue for these lazy amateurish feckers. Steven Pressley could be called many things (haha) but 'former Celtic player' most probably not the first description that comes to mind for anyone, except The (Glasgow) Herald and its shitty journalists.

I recall the Herald ran a two-page interview with the Blessed Martin about three years after he left Celtic.

I'd tune in to radio interviews with Jackie Mac while he was Thistle manager. I'd have to grind my teeth through an hour of shite about Celtic - questions that had been asked of 100 other ex Celts.

The Herald's football coverage continues to be indistinguishable from the red top rags, as once again they have to shoe-horn the obligatory O*D F**m connection into each and every story, however tenuous - today's effort is the headline that "former Celtic player Pressley leaves Coventry".

Its like an insecurity issue for these lazy amateurish feckers. Steven Pressley could be called many things (haha) but 'former Celtic player' most probably not the first description that comes to mind for anyone, except The (Glasgow) Herald and its shitty journalists.

They missed the double whammy chance seeing as he's played for both.

I'd tune in to radio interviews with Jackie Mac while he was Thistle manager. I'd have to grind my teeth through an hour of shite about Celtic - questions that had been asked of 100 other ex Celts.

Always remember the launch of the 2010/11 "paint effect" strip. We sent McNamara and Donnelly down to Greaves in Glasgow.

Every question asked by the press related to Celtic's new manager.

Edit for minor correction and to add supporting link. Here is the Record's take on the above kit launch...

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/mcnamara-neil-lennon-can-forge-1063853

For some fine examples of shite journalism check out Chris Jack's output over the last 36 hours. What an utter disgrace.

BBC reports on the Dumbarton V Alloa match that Kevin Cawley was tripped by Daryn Easton and Fleming scores from the spot. Just confirms how rubbish Ferguson is as a match summariser

• 2 weeks later...

BBC Sport: Hearts celebrate securing Championship title

Hearts have secured the Scottish Championship title - returning to the top flight after one season.

Rangers' 2-0 win at Hibs means Robbie Neilson's men, 13 points ahead, cannot be caught by the chasing pack.

Neilson had stated his preference for his side to secure the title in front of a home crowd at Tynecastle.

Hearts tweeted: "Championees you beauty. Congratulations to everyone connected with the club, especially our fans #wedidittogether"

The Edinburgh club have lost only one of their 25 league games this season and, speaking before clinching the title, Neilson said his players were prepared to work hard for their success.

"As a coach, you just want guys who are prepared to work hard to make the best of their ability, and we definitely have that," he told his club website. "All the coaches and I can do is prepare training, and hope the boys buy into it, which they all have done.

"Even when we've won the league, it's important that we continue to win games. We have to play Hibs and Rangers, and it's vital for us to beat these sides.

"Our mindset is that we must win every game, a club of this stature must not accept less."

Clowns. :lol:

From bbc's report of today's game at Tynecastle

The visitors should have been ahead just minutes after the re-start but Derek Lyle blasted high over from four yards after goalkeeper Neil Alexander failed to hold a long-range Mark Milar effort.

Archived