The Gavin Berry Awards for Shitty Football Journalism

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What is astonishing is the total lack of any kind of research.

This was proven in the discussions about changes to league setups, which were riddled with basic errors. It's also embarrassing how every summer none of them seem to know about the qualifications for European tournaments.

There are continually "Err, do we know what happens once Rangers get papped out by theis dross?" conversations. "I think that's them out...no no, they get straight into the EL Group Stages...nope, I think they get a final qualifier, but are seeded...no, I think they might get another qualifier, but I don't think they are seeded..."

To be fair, the Record and Sun's coverage on a Monday is excellent, even reports and photos from junior games which would have been unheard of 20 years ago. It's the rest of their output that is the problem.

I have a real bee in my bonnett about the press coverage the SFL gets up here.

I don't agree that The Scottish Sun or the Daily Record gives SFL Divisions Two & Three gets anywhere near the coverage it should. After all it's a Scottish Paper so it should be allocating more space to divisions 2/3 up here than allocating space to the Premiership or Spanish/Italian Leagues. Neither wonder people don't buy them. Apart from the feature game the rest of the games only get a few lines.

The Herald are the latest rag to cut its SFL coverage down to a blanket few paragraphs so I won't be buying that any more.

Even the Saturday papers are cutting their pre-match coverage. It's down to one game and sod the rest. Some don't even include team news now (even though it can often be more often not accurate). I put fixed odds lines on and want to know suspensions for my dream team, I could hardly find any on Saturday.

The newspapaers seem to be going down the route of filling the papers full of columnists who are Celtic/Rangers based especially on a Saturday & Sunday. Attract more readers by giving the SFL more coverage and your average second/third division punter might start buying the papers again.

so it should be allocating more space to divisions 2/3 up here than allocating space to the Premiership or Spanish/Italian Leagues.

No it shouldn't.

The number of people who want to read about the Premiership vastly exceeds the number of people who care about Stirling Albion's latest seaside league game.

It would be fantastic if it turned out the Daily Record and Sun were found to have been hacking phones. Get them shut - they only exacerbate the Old Firm problem in this country.

New favourite thread.

I will be back. Often.

Diddy cup but related to this topic - couldn't even get the opening sentence right.

http://news.bbc.co.u...ll/14459075.stm

That really irked me last night when I read it. Who actually sent that report in? Beginning to wonder if they just make up what happens in the build up to the goals.

I'm just waiting for Billy Reid to be mentioned in the same week as managing Ayr and Hamilton as per usual with Ebbie Malone playing centre half for us.

Sky score centre called it the Scottish League cup quarter finals, despite being eight games played , we also have Lillie Dyer playing for us, they have no idea of the play off situation in the lower leagues and constantly f**k it up. It becomes frustrating that no research or interest is shown or carried out. why dont they recruit (Media in General) from within. I`m pretty sure that our prolific posters on here say VT (yeah i know and i`m a Rover) would be able to give a factual report on the SFL, the county fan who has the statistics blog (apologies for forgetting name) and a true grasp of SFL 1 teams would be invaluable.

Rant over

Sorry to bore you

And another thing, the one that really gets me....I realise Ayr fans have a different course..........The player who is a Legend at Starks Eleven years service, player and manager, scored THAT goal....i give you his address in the media.....Gordon Dalziel.......(EX RANGERS).............Fuckin Boooooooooo!!!!!!!!!

Great thread! And I'm sure it will be a very busy one throughout the year.

The lack of just basic research and knowledge in Scottish journalism is worrying sometimes.

Sorry if it's SPL related but there isnt a similar thread in that forum. Sunday Mail (I think) last week committed the very common mistake of "captioning picture of black player wrong" when they referred to a picture of Isaac Osbourne as "Aberdeen's Josh Magennis"

Great thread! And I'm sure it will be a very busy one throughout the year.

The lack of just basic research and knowledge in Scottish journalism is worrying sometimes.

Sorry if it's SPL related but there isnt a similar thread in that forum. Sunday Mail (I think) last week committed the very common mistake of "captioning picture of black player wrong" when they referred to a picture of Isaac Osbourne as "Aberdeen's Josh Magennis"

Never mind black players, in the eighties, Ian Ferguson played for St Mirren and Rangers, Another one played for Hearts and Dundee United, We at the time had our own Ian Ferguson This nearly melted the caption / photo fuckupometer..........

That really irked me last night when I read it. Who actually sent that report in? Beginning to wonder if they just make up what happens in the build up to the goals.

I'm just waiting for Billy Reid to be mentioned in the same week as managing Ayr and Hamilton as per usual with Ebbie Malone playing centre half for us.

Daily Retard had Baird hitting the post. Pretty sure he screwed it wide from where I was sitting. :thumbsdown

And another thing, the one that really gets me....I realise Ayr fans have a different course..........The player who is a Legend at Starks Eleven years service, player and manager, scored THAT goal....i give you his address in the media.....Gordon Dalziel.......(EX RANGERS).............Fuckin Boooooooooo!!!!!!!!!

Yeah that one really does my head in, it just adds to the notion that there are only two teams in Scotland. "Ex Ger Stephen Dobbie" is the recent example I can think of. He was at Rangers as a youth but didn't make a single first team appearance for them. He has since reached a League Cup Final with Hibs, Scottish Cup Final with us, and won the Championship Playoff two years running. I'm sure it's his time in the Rangers reserves he looks back on with the fondest memories though!

Oh definitely. A while back, a friend of mine at the time couldn't be arsed going to Paisley to cover the St Mirren game, and basically sat in front of my telly and wrote a generic report based solely on what was coming through on teletext. He was only hired for Sunday copy, not Monday, so he didn't have to cover player and manager quotes. He reckoned (certainly back then), that a fair old number of reports from the lower leagues were bluffed together in this way. Of course, if you were providing Monday copy and reports on the same game for multiple rags, then it wasn't a practice that would work for very long before you'd get caught out.

I remember the days when Football First was on and they wouldn't even bother with County games at Victoria Park at times. Really, the papers only care about whipping up nonsense about the Old Firm for the loon brigade of the both sides to get excited about.

What's wrong with that? :unsure:

How is that any different from saying "Ayr" instead of "Ayr United" and "Hamilton" instead of "Hamilton Academical"?

The same say it's different from saying "Greenock" instead of "Greenock Morton" or... "Morton."

It's because they're known as 'Rovers', not 'Albion', if you want to use their short name.

I can draw you a Venn diagram or something if this makes too much sense?

Archived