The Gavin Berry Awards for Shitty Football Journalism

Today's Sunday Post has Derek Lyle scoring an overhead kick for the opener. His goal couldn't have been much further from an overhead kick. At least they got the scorer correct though. They have given the second goal scored by Reilly to Carmichael.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Today's Sunday Post has Derek Lyle scoring an overhead kick for the opener. His goal couldn't have been much further from an overhead kick. At least they got the scorer correct though. They have given the second goal scored by Reilly to Carmichael.

Read that too, and with the PA announcer giving the correct name of the scorer it makes you wonder if some reporters are even at the match they report on. Another gripe of mine is that I buy 3 different daily papers and some match reports are almost word for word in each paper but with different reporter's names. What's the score there apart from me wasting money buying three papers? Also not keen on the new football layout of the SP, increase in coverage of English football and less detail of lower leagues in Scotland.

I don't see why anyone buys papers for match reports, you'll get a far more accurate and in depth assessment of the match on forums. Obviously you'll get a few roasters who are biased but they're easy to spot and ignore. Papers know themselves that match reporting is dead and therefore clearly invest no money in it and as a result we get the laughable match reports that this thread highlights.

Today's Sunday Post has Derek Lyle scoring an overhead kick for the opener. His goal couldn't have been much further from an overhead kick..

It certainly wasnt an overhead kick. It was a reasonably acrobatic effort with his back to goal though. I can see where they were coming from.

I don't see why anyone buys papers for match reports, you'll get a far more accurate and in depth assessment of the match on forums. Obviously you'll get a few roasters who are biased but they're easy to spot and ignore. Papers know themselves that match reporting is dead and therefore clearly invest no money in it and as a result we get the laughable match reports that this thread highlights.

The difference between buying newspapers and getting reports on a web-site is, it is very difficult, not to mention painful, to wipe your arse with a computer.

Today's Sunday Post has Derek Lyle scoring an overhead kick for the opener. His goal couldn't have been much further from an overhead kick.

I think it sort of was an overhead kick. In fact, I called it that in the match thread I think.

It wasn't conventional, but it kind of was how he put it in as it dropped after the challenge on the goalkeeper.

Other night Hugh Keevins said Rangers will find it harder this year because they arnt playin Peterhead and Alloa this season

That really is disgraceful. These guys get paid to talk about something they actively take no interest in.

Archived