The Gavin Berry Awards for Shitty Football Journalism

I said a page or two back, the Gavster should win the inaugural award.

Edit to add:

It's almost time. I've booked The Dorchester, so we'll need some final nominees in the following categories I just made up. So you can add others if you like. Mine are in brackets

Young Shit Journalist of the year. (Gavin Berry, special mention for his Peterhead in the wrong division and Hearts first ever game against English opposition)

Old Shit Journalist of the year. ( Keith Jackson.....he doesn't even try, effortless bias.)

Shittest ex-players column. (The one and only Mark Hateley.....a fucking idiot.)

Shittest Web Coverage. ( Yer auld Auntie.....The Beeb, borrowing part of a line from Cosgrove and Cowan....ill informed)

Shittest Radio Journalist ( Chick Young, he challenged in a few categories, but he saved his worst for radio.)

Shittest Radio Pundit ( Gordon Dalziel, God bless him, he's as thick as shite.)

Outsanding Shittest Contribution ( Gerry McNee, he might be dead, but he was shit ages ago.)

I'm frankly outraged that Jim 'the c**t' Traynor hasn't been nominated in any category! What about Shitest Sports Editor or Shittest Radio Journo.

The fucking Real Radio Phone-in should also feature. Hosted by some nonentity whose only evident skill is the ability to work the controls in the studio and understand the shite that the couple of lobotomized ancient Old Firm pros come out with. Throw in a smattering of drunken callers, borderline retarded callers and general bampot callers, all of whom support the Old Firm and have bizzare views which they want to share as 'points', and the whole thing is a fucking car crash. It makes Jim Traynor's wanky phone-in sound professional.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just noticed The Gavster is doing Wimbledon for The Record.

He tipped Red Rum to win.

When is he getting his award. Is it a jobby in a box? Actually, that's far more than he deserves, it should juts be a bit of paper ripped out a cheap 'shopping list' notebook, with 'you are shit' written on it. Hastily ram it in an an envelope and post it 2nd Class.

I pity people who get their football news and opinions from Radio Phone-Ins and Red Top Newspapers. Unlucky.

Maybe you could set up a charity to help them. Seems like something a person who feels pity for their plight might do. Good luck.

I'm frankly outraged that Jim 'the c**t' Traynor hasn't been nominated in any category! What about Shitest Sports Editor or Shittest Radio Journo.

OK, I nominate him for Flip-flopper of the Year.

"Rangers belong in the SPL"

"I've always said they should be in SFL3"

"OMG, ARMAGEDDON!!!!1!!!1!1!!"

The fucking Real Radio Phone-in should also feature. Hosted by some nonentity whose only evident skill is the ability to work the controls in the studio and understand the shite that the couple of lobotomized ancient Old Firm pros come out with. Throw in a smattering of drunken callers, borderline retarded callers and general bampot callers, all of whom support the Old Firm and have bizzare views which they want to share as 'points', and the whole thing is a fucking car crash. It makes Jim Traynor's wanky phone-in sound professional.

I'm sure I had the misfortune of listening to the Real Radio phone in a few months back. Somebody called in and spouted some shite like "Aye, see how wur aw tawkin' aboot punishin' the Gers fur aw this tax stuff goan oan? Well, whit aboot Celtic? If wur gettin' punished the noo fur stuff that went oan years ago, why don't we punish Celtic fur the abuse o' they weans at they boys club?"

To be fair, he got laughed at by just about every pundit on air before being cut off, but nonetheless it shows the typical mindset of your average caller (if not Rangers fan in general); thick, ruddy-faced bigots who love using the "Aye, but Celtic did X/Y/Z" defence whenever you point out the latest embarrassment to come out of the club.

I'm sure I had the misfortune of listening to the Real Radio phone in a few months back. Somebody called in and spouted some shite like "Aye, see how wur aw tawkin' aboot punishin' the Gers fur aw this tax stuff goan oan? Well, whit aboot Celtic? If wur gettin' punished the noo fur stuff that went oan years ago, why don't we punish Celtic fur the abuse o' they weans at they boys club?"

To be fair, he got laughed at by just about every pundit on air before being cut off, but nonetheless it shows the typical mindset of your average caller (if not Rangers fan in general); thick, ruddy-faced bigots who love using the "Aye, but Celtic did X/Y/Z" defence whenever you point out the latest embarrassment to come out of the club.

I'm sure most of the people who phone that Real Radio phone in are actors. They must be! Surely no one could be thick enough to come out with some of what gets spouted?

Found the Record lying on the train today and Keevins had put that Celtic's opponents Stuttgart Kickers played in the German Third Division, the same level as Celtic's rivals Sevco would be doing this season. Auld Shug obviously saw the number 3 written somewhere and, rather than doing a 30 second google search to verify the information, decided to just fire it in to the report anyway. Stuttgart Kickers play in the third tier, whilst Sevco of course play in the fourth tier. Just incredible laziness and being ill informed about the subject he is paid to write about. Not anywhere near as big an error as some of the examples in this thread, but it was a little snippet of exactly what is wrong with the vast majority of football journalism in this country.

Gavin Berry drops another clanger in today's Sunday Mail. In an interview with the guy who reformed Darlington he states that the new club got put in the Evo Stick League when in fact they got put in the Northern Lesgue which is below it :rolleyes:

Gavin Berry drops another clanger in today's Sunday Mail. In an interview with the guy who reformed Darlington he states that the new club got put in the Evo Stick League when in fact they got put in the Northern Lesgue which is below it :rolleyes:

He won't give up his title without a fight. This is a minor error in the pre-season friendlies, but it shows he has learned nothing last season. Watch him go when the real business begins. This boy will could fuck up for years.

He won't give up his title without a fight. This is a minor error in the pre-season friendlies, but it shows he has learned nothing last season. Watch him go when the real business begins. This boy will could fuck up for years.

Given all of the mistakes he makes he must be in line for a top job at the Mail or the Record, knowing feck all about teams outside of the Old Firm is always a good start in this respect.

Grubben scored for Arbroath today and Gavin Swankie scored our third from close range according to the BBC, I'd say it was more a cross from around the byeline that Gallacher fumbled.

davie provan read his column in the sun today

Another clinger-on directing his anger at the SFL clubs just because he's lost his gig on Sky. Ripped the page straight out and its in the sh*t house ready for emergency toilet roll. I never read his column anyway.

Archived